Builds Limited V8 4Runner "Build" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds great.

The last one?

Sounds great.

The last one?

Well, it was disco'd but part number was still live in the system (SET accessory) so I called my guy down there to see if it could be ordered. They still had the template(?) so they made me one. Now it's actually discontinued. :grinpimp:

Sounds great!

Gotta love a shiny new exhaust!

~Jeff

Sounds great!

Thanks guys!!!

Jeff, I'm already looking at how I can modify it (cut it up) to get my ground clearance back. The muffler actually tucks up higher, which is good because my factory one was beat up pretty bad. The rear section is a problem though. It's too close to the lateral rod on the rear axle. Plus the tips stick way out and down below the bumper. Based on my trail damaged from last time I would have destroyed it if it was on there. So I'm probably going to dump it right behind the rear axle but tucked up high enough so it won't contact anything on the trail.

That exhaust was obviously not designed for someone who actually takes their truck off road. But it sounds killer!!!

So, I'm going to be getting sliders within the next couple of months so I'll have them for the upcoming wheeling season. I'm between the OPOR (Metaltech) or White Knuckle sliders. Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

Edit: Price is the same so it's really just a fit/finish/design question.

I have the White Knuckle Offroad sliders on my 80 and really like them. When I get the money I'll be buying a set for my GX as well. However when my brother bought them for his 80 he had them powder coat the sliders and they started rusting.

The u-bolt mounts for the White Knuckle sliders are sorta iffy for me, I would rather have a bolt on/welded application as I find u-bolts will flex on the rocks. The White Knuckle slider design is awesome though!

I have the White Knuckle Offroad sliders on my 80 and really like them. When I get the money I'll be buying a set for my GX as well. However when my brother bought them for his 80 he had them powder coat the sliders and they started rusting.

The u-bolt mounts for the White Knuckle sliders are sorta iffy for me, I would rather have a bolt on/welded application as I find u-bolts will flex on the rocks. The White Knuckle slider design is awesome though!

Yeah that's my only concern is the bolt on install. I actually wheel my junk so I need something strong. I guess I could do weld on since I removed my X-REAS.

I'm on the fence as well as I intend on using the sliders as support when wheelin as well, but the GX has two different front mount leg areas from the 4runner platform so I may have to go with U bolt mounts or just get em welded if they flex too much. I'm working on getting my Demello bumper first before sliders though.

What Demello bumper???

You can't tease us like that!

Is yours a one-off custom or is Demello going to market it??

Sam, I have the WKO sliders on the 80, the u-bolt on those seem solid. Now I don't Speeder bounce on mine, but they have kept the rockers safe and when the time comes I will be putting them on the 3rd gen. The CAT protection is top notch and they are the only guys at the FJ80 (91-92) party. I been happy.

Good to know jynx!

I've been pretty happy with my white knuckles as well. The PC gets a little chipped in the mail though, so if I did it over, I would just paint them myself. I'm excited for the build, Sam! I'm really wanting a v8 4th for a DD... But no money

I would also tend to agree with Patrick, all the armor that I have ordered I have had shipped in Bare steel and painted myself. No worries about damage during shipping and easy to touch up or change.

Well the exception is the IPOR rear for the 80 I got used. Anybody know how hard it is to paint over PC? :hillbilly:

@470SNC my :princess: is looking to step into a GX so I been reading up. Your build looks nice. How you liking ICON setup?

Last edited:
@jynx I actually transferred the Icon setup from my FJ so I've had it for about 6 years and I absolutely love it, the only thing I changed up was moving up from VS2.0 shocks to 2.5 external resi shocks in the rear. On/off road she rides like a pure dream.

Lots of votes for White Knuckle even with the u-bolts. @jynx and @robustbambi do you think they will be good for my wheeling style? I'm gonna lay them on some rocks and possibly fairly hard. I don't beat on this truck anything like my last truck obviously but I won't hesitate to hit an obstacle if I think I can make it.

I would expect they will be fine. I have dropped onto mine pretty hard a couple times, dropping off that ledge on 1 comes to mind. I don't want to promise you they will be the end all, but for what we generally do, I think they are a great fit. The u-bolt mounts are very secure on the 80 and if they can lift a nearly 7k rig with no noticeable movement, I would suspect they will support the 4th Gen easy peasy. Also, if you look around on the interwebs, most all the main 80 makers use u-bolts to attach to the frames, on the 80's I suspect it is primarily to help with installation since the exhaust is stupid and outside the frames which would make welding more difficult for the general do it yourselfer, and here we circle back to big and heavy and working, so 4th gen should = Good to go.

Plus if they bolt on, you or one of the guys can put them on in an hour or so, otherwise you gotta take it down to ACC or somewhere else with a welder to stitch them on.

I will def get DOM and extra supports if available. I absolutely slammed mine on the mini (hard enough to actually bow them a little bit) and I was amazed at how well they held up. I beat them constantly. Anyway, I'm sold on the DOM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom