What is the best way to increase 100 light performance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Over the past few months, I have gotten fed up with the poor illumination coming off the front of my hundy. It actually caused me to hit a deer and wreck my front end. Anyways what do you all think the best way to improve this is? I initially thought about installing driving lights, but limited output by the alternator has led me to rethink this. I just read up a bit on HID retrofits. Anyone done this and can give good advice? Any input would be great

HID isn't plug and play but it's definitely worth it. You could also add light bars to use with your high beams. Obviously don't have them on with other traffic on the road but they make a world of difference when it's just you and the road. LED light is also, apparently, an option. I don't know much about the LED application but there are countless threads about lighting on here. Just search.

HID isn't plug and play but it's definitely worth it. You could also add light bars to use with your high beams. Obviously don't have them on with other traffic on the road but they make a world of difference when it's just you and the road. LED light is also, apparently, an option. I don't know much about the LED application but there are countless threads about lighting on here. Just search.

I have not considered light bars. Any recommendation for size/cost? Just trying to explore and compare costs

I switched in HIR 9011 & 9012 bulbs which helped noticeably. Nice temperature of the light. Fairly cheap, just need to trim tabs with a dremel or file

Last edited:
I have not considered light bars. Any recommendation for size/cost? Just trying to explore and compare costs

LED light bars aren't going to draw enough amps to make a significant difference. Good ones aren't cheap. There are some cheap ones out there that look intriguing, but I wouldn't have high hopes for it lasting a long time. I'm against hacking up my headlamps, so I'll end up with a light bar when I get a bumper.

Last edited:
It seems like just putting in HID lights without converting to a projection style housing isn't as good.

I can't remember but there was a member here who had his housing retrofitted with the Prius projectors and Bi-Xenon / HIDs and it was greatly improved without blinding folks coming the other direction.

I found putting in the HIR (9011 and 9012) was a good enough bang for the buck for me. Although it would nice to check it out with a Lux meter and what not to confirm if there is a large difference.

I've heard some great things about the Amazon light bars, over on Pirate4x4 there's a thread where guys have bought, tested, and they've held up pretty well. They're bright, cheap, durable....not too many negatives at all.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4MQJ5O...lid=326RO8JOXN3K5&coliid=I1EYE2SEZI65U5&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJFH6YA...olid=326RO8JOXN3K5&coliid=IPY9FG63VND8Q&psc=1

On my 80 I was running DDM tuning HID lights, which were absolutely AWESOME, and would really light up the night. Everyone who rode in my truck commented on them, it was an amazing difference between my light output and anything else on the road.To date, that's the best mod that I've ever done to any of my vehicles. I haven't heard much yet of how they work in the 100 series, I'll do some searching today and see if there's any user feedback.

I bought a cheap 20" on Amazon and after about 2 months I noticed a little moisture build-up on the inside of the lens. I opened it up and ran a bead of marine-grade silicone around all the edges. It's been about 4 months now and I have no complaints!

I switched in HIR 9011 & 9012 bulbs which helped noticeably. Nice temperature of the light. Fairly cheap, just need to trim tabs with a dremel or file

Do this first...

I've heard some great things about the Amazon light bars, over on Pirate4x4 there's a thread where guys have bought, tested, and they've held up pretty well. They're bright, cheap, durable....not too many negatives at all.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F4MQJ5O...lid=326RO8JOXN3K5&coliid=I1EYE2SEZI65U5&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJFH6YA...olid=326RO8JOXN3K5&coliid=IPY9FG63VND8Q&psc=1

On my 80 I was running DDM tuning HID lights, which were absolutely AWESOME, and would really light up the night. Everyone who rode in my truck commented on them, it was an amazing difference between my light output and anything else on the road.To date, that's the best mod that I've ever done to any of my vehicles. I haven't heard much yet of how they work in the 100 series, I'll do some searching today and see if there's any user feedback.

I may have to take this path. How will a light bar do as far as distance goes?

You'll have zero complaints about a light bar. My only complaint is that I can't have it on all the time, and that I don't have another one. Cheesy, but the difference is night and day. I've got an HID projector retrofit (retro is really the only way to go with HID) as well as a 15" bar on my bumper and most people would say it's more than enough, I say I need a curved 50 on the roof.

You'll have zero complaints about a light bar. My only complaint is that I can't have it on all the time, and that I don't have another one. Cheesy, but the difference is night and day. I've got an HID projector retrofit (retro is really the only way to go with HID) as well as a 15" bar on my bumper and most people would say it's more than enough, I say I need a curved 50 on the roof.
I've got a completely stock front end. I am thinking of mounting behind the bumper grill, drilling into the metal bumper brace itself. 8" on each side of the license plate, as larryt did here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lighting-solutions-for-trucks-with-factory-bumpers.672797/page-2

Good choice. If it were me I would take a dremel to the plastic bits that sort of shroud the light bars so that it's fully open (assuming that plastic isn't structural to the bumper, but hell why would it be?).

Good choice. If it were me I would take a dremel to the plastic bits that sort of shroud the light bars so that it's fully open (assuming that plastic isn't structural to the bumper, but hell why would it be?).
It seems like I could even fit a 12" bar on either side. Do you think these would put out enough light? Even if they were the Amazon ones that are posted above?

I've been blinded by oncoming light bar equipped rigs. How do you plan on managing the spread?

Last edited:
The route I am going to take is a retrofit. There is no doubt that it is more expensive than just a "plug 'n play" kit but I think that any HID kit without proper projectors is a huge danger to others on the road and would not condone its use. Do some research on the above threads that were mentioned and save up for a good retrofit.

If you don't feel like hacking up your headlights, have someone do it and I promise you it will be worth it. I've also looked into the two little light bars on either side of the license plate, but a retrofit will come first. If you do go the bar route, make sure you mount the switch where it will be easily accessed quickly in case you run into oncoming traffic, those things can be brutal and cause accidents very easily.

Just my .02

Can someone give more information on 9011 and 9012 bulbs please? Why are they better than 9005 and 9006? Also, which on eis the low beam application...thank you!

I'be been blinded by oncoming light bar equipped rigs. How do you plan on managing the spread?
Where my camp is up in Maine, the roads go on for miles with nothing on them. They are out of the question in occupied roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom