James Baroud tent failure? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a fairly long build thread over on FJ60 forum but my recent experience with James Baroud USA tents has been so disappointing I figured it was worth sharing over here.

My quick long term summary of my James Baroud roof top tent: it's a very risky buy + they have poor customer service and warranty. If you're about to drop $3000 on one of their tents I do think my experience is worth considering, in the least.

So James Baroud USA is really just OK 4WD out of NJ. Although they present themselves as James Baroud itself when it's convenient but when I had a warranty issue they raised their hands and said they were actually just a vendor and this is a problem for "HQ". From my perspective if you're going to act like you are actually the brand when you sell a product you should also stand behind it in the tough times.

Over a month ago I submitted a warranty claim that the fibre glass on my tent was starting to separate. I sent along the 2 photos below to show the separation and that there wasn't any hard/direct blow or indentation from a strike. But maybe y'all feel differently? Take a peep at the photos. What I believe is happening is after opening and closing the tent everyday for 6+ months (sometimes twice a day) the pressure from pulling and pushing down on the front corners to close the tent is tweaking the top and it's starting to separate.

James Baroud's first response: We will not warranty this as we don't see it as a manufacturing defect

Their response was a huge bummer because I've been such a fan of their product and have sung it's praise over on my Instagram account. After they denied the claim I hopped on twitter and simply said I was bummed that my warranty wasn't honored....and only after tweeting did they call me back and offer to "take a further look and potentially offer a repair." From my shoes it's a damn shame you have to tweet @ a company to get honest support these days.

So! The most recent update to all of this, which is after many emails and phone calls, is that they now want to see the tent in person back in NJ. I'm dropping my tent off to be shipped back next week but if in the end they still decide to deny my warranty I'll have to pay for shipping costs.

Right from the start James Baroud USA / OK 4WD has treated me like the bad guy, like I'm trying to hoodwink them and that's pretty heartbreaking if I'm honest about it. If anyone has ever been to an REI for example you know how wonderful their customer support is and I suppose I expect all companies that are trying to succeeded to approach each situation and customer like they do.

James Baroud does have an innovative product with their tent design, I love the extra space pop up, but I wouldn't buy one again. So that's been my experience with James Baround....maybe in the end they will repair my tent but it certainly shouldn't have been this difficult. I'll be sure to stop by again with an update.

Thanks for posting, it's important to know all the good and bad about products. I will be buying a roof top tent in the near future and will watch how this plays out.

Crazy enough I went out to take photos inside the tent and the plastic hooks that hold the ladder to the tent both broke off. I busted my butt a little bit and scratched the roof of my truck....actually this is the second ladder that has broken on me. Apparently it is a known flaw with James Baroud and they have some replacement in the works? But no doubt someone really could get hurt

And another minor quality issue to me is that the latches that hold the tent down def are not holding up well:

Images from inside the tent...from my side nothing has ever been closed inside the tent except for a sleeping bag. No damage to my eyes:

I don't believe James Baroud corporate has a presence on Mud, and although I don't have any sway in their decision making when it comes to warranty claims, I can at least provide some info on the ladder problem. There have been some cases of ladder issues, and there is a fix available by contacting your local dealer. Although I've never seen a case of both sides failing at the same time. Obviously that's not acceptable but it is not an issue for any customers going forward.

I don't like to hear of any negative experiences involving products we represent, regardless of whether or not it's one of our customers.

hhmmmm where abouts on the tent are those stress cracks ??

Front?
Rear?
Sides?

hhmmmm where abouts on the tent are those stress cracks ??

Front?
Rear?
Sides?

The cracks are right in the middle of the tent on the front....I believe they are stress/torsion cracks from opening and closing the tent daily for 6+ months.

oh wow... so right by where the struts are at.... eh !!!
Thanks for the reply and good luck to yah....
Hope them guys do right....

Very much appreciate your thread. Will now consider Autohome for a RTT.

I don't believe James Baroud corporate has a presence on Mud, and although I don't have any sway in their decision making when it comes to warranty claims, I can at least provide some info on the ladder problem. There have been some cases of ladder issues, and there is a fix available by contacting your local dealer. Although I've never seen a case of both sides failing at the same time. Obviously that's not acceptable but it is not an issue for any customers going forward.

I don't like to hear of any negative experiences involving products we represent, regardless of whether or not it's one of our customers.

Local dealer? AFAIK you and OK are the only dealers in NA...

That ladder situation has me very concerned! that is a long drop from the top of my 80 and could cause serious injury. How should I go about getting the kit to fix it? Contact OK as they were whom I purchased it from a little over a year ago?

To the OP, sorry to hear of your issues. So far mine has been fine, but I don't use it to the level that you have. The trim on the outside rim of the top shell is falling off however. I planned on using some silicone to glue it in place rather than just relying on friction.

Sub'd to see how this plays out. Good Luck!

Local dealer? AFAIK you and OK are the only dealers in NA...

That ladder situation has me very concerned! that is a long drop from the top of my 80 and could cause serious injury. How should I go about getting the kit to fix it? Contact OK as they were whom I purchased it from a little over a year ago?

To the OP, sorry to hear of your issues. So far mine has been fine, but I don't use it to the level that you have. The trim on the outside rim of the top shell is falling off however. I planned on using some silicone to glue it in place rather than just relying on friction.

Sub'd to see how this plays out. Good Luck!

I am actually one of six dealers in NA and Ok Auto is the main distributor. There are other dealers in CA, two in Canada, and one in the South (I believe) although we are the busiest of them.

Yes, to have your ladder modified contact OK and they will take care of it. If for some reason you cannot get it taken care of just let me know!

oh wow... so right by where the struts are at.... eh !!!
Thanks for the reply and good luck to yah....
Hope them guys do right....

The struts are actually in the four corners of the tent, not the center.
FWIW, and without any judgement as to the warranty claim at all, Theron's issue has never been seen before by either the dealers in the US or the factory in Portugal. I personally believe (truly, aside from being a dealer) that the James Baroud product is far superior to anything else on the market. The issues here stem more from a customer service issue than anything else and I know they are working with Theron to make up for it.

That's a bummer as i also have a JB tent purchased from those guys at OK4wd. I've had no issues with them at all, but i have also not had any issues with my tent. I've slept in it probably 25 nights.

Mine does stay on the roof of my cruiser constantly and i do occasionally wash it.

My ladder has not broken but i could see if there is a lot of leverage and weight it could break (not calling you a fatty!).

Hopefully they make it right for you.

Sorry to hear of the James Baroud quality problems - gives all RTT vendors a black eye. Parts made in China, assembled in Portugal…

Our warranty runs for 5 years. We usually replace tents if we see a serious or costly repair required. Fortunately we have very few warranty claims.

We sell replacement ladders, if you need one.

Sorry to hear of the James Baroud quality problems - gives all RTT vendors a black eye. Parts made in China, assembled in Portugal…

Our warranty runs for 5 years. We usually replace tents if we see a serious or costly repair required. Fortunately we have very few warranty claims.

We sell replacement ladders, if you need one.

Mike,

Thank you for your input on the James Baroud product. Are you stating here for the record that there are no parts on an Autohome tent that are made in China? And that you don't get warranty claims that require investigation? I noticed this is only your fourth post on Mud in the last 3+ years so I just want to make sure you're being heard correctly.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
After weeks of waiting I finally heard back from James Baroud USA in NJ: my warranty claim was denied

It is what it is. I didn't strike anything and I felt the gel coat was starting to separate because of a manufacturing issue, but they felt otherwise, even though there is still no empirical evidence of an impact. But that is of course from my perspective. In the end I can't recommend their product even though it's still on top of my truck....it really bums me out they so boldly and proudly promote a 5 year warranty when they sell you one. I am fairly certain going forward the fellas in NJ are going to approach warranty issues and customers with more grace and respect, so that's a win for anyone else out there.

Gonna keep on keeping on! But if you're about to spend $3000 I def would consider other brands with better customer service

Thanks for posting about this. I'll be purchasing a tent this year and for me it's a high dollar item, I'll be looking at other tents.

As a JB tent owner, that is VERY disappointing to hear. That really blows my mind and i too will have a hard time suggesting this tent if that is how they stand behind the warranty.

Just to keep things completely fair, i have one spot that is showing the same gel deterioration just not nearly as bad as yours. HOWEVER, i must say that the very first time i opened and closed the tent, i tossed the ladder in to the side and was literally laying on top of the tent to close it. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't close! I just kept mashing and mashing... I opened it back up and realized the ladder got caught in the scissor lift and was jamming against the top. I had a huge gouge in the inside top lid where the ladder had punctured the insulation and had cracked the lid. I was pissed, but it was my mistake. Since then, i usually run with the ladder in my truck. If i do put it inside the tent i make sure it's under the mattress in the center.

As a JB tent owner, that is VERY disappointing to hear. That really blows my mind and i too will have a hard time suggesting this tent if that is how they stand behind the warranty.

Just to keep things completely fair, i have one spot that is showing the same gel deterioration just not nearly as bad as yours. HOWEVER, i must say that the very first time i opened and closed the tent, i tossed the ladder in to the side and was literally laying on top of the tent to close it. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't close! I just kept mashing and mashing... I opened it back up and realized the ladder got caught in the scissor lift and was jamming against the top. I had a huge gouge in the inside top lid where the ladder had punctured the insulation and had cracked the lid. I was pissed, but it was my mistake. Since then, i usually run with the ladder in my truck. If i do put it inside the tent i make sure it's under the mattress in the center.

I had a hard time recommending them after it became known they were aware of the ladders breaking but didn't issue a recall. Mine broke climbing up into the tent and I came crashing down...unhurt thankfully...but def was surprised they were't proactive and concerned. They are lucky someone out there didn't get hurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom