Raising the BAR: California 22re swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all!
First off I want to thank any and all members that post and help others out, without you we would be SOL.
Ok now on to my great epiphany.... Finally sacking up the balls to go FI. I figure a 22r to re swap has been done time and time again since day 1 of the re and should be relatively straight forward. I've searched ALOT about this and just want to document my swap. I live in California and must go through some hoops to get my swap legit so I was hoping for some insight on this.
Ok so backstory.....
Have an awesome 84 22r that I recently had the done on. Port/polish oversized valves, seats, springs blah blah. Now she's burning coolant in one of the cylinders.
Should I: Strip it back down to try and find the issue, fix it, then use the block and head for my FI? Mind you when I got the truck it had a fried rod bearing and knocked bad. Fixed everything but never had the block sent to a shop to be checked. Or do I start over and build a 22re that I got from an 89 4Runner and drive my truck in the meantime. I would be sacrificing the port and polish work is the crappy thing. Really would like some feedback on this. Thanks guys!

Well this is embarrassing... The title is retarded wrong. I need to fix. But how?
Anyways I've started collecting all my parts. Got most everything from a 89 runner.I have the tank from the 89 4runner. Can I run that in my p/u? I got the entire harness and ecu from the runner as well. If anybody who has done this swap could chime in on the electrical aspect of whether or not it matters if the donor harness is a truck or runner, would be much appreciated. Oh and if anyone who has gone through BAR could tell me how they know what year you new engine is?

Or do I start over and build a 22re that I got from an 89 4Runner and drive my truck in the meantime.

The way I would go. That way down time is less.

Well this is embarrassing... The title is retarded wrong.

My star shines bright. What would you like it to say?

I'm actually doing the same swap right now. I took a different route and used all the wiring from my 89. But the only difference between the truck and runner is the rear electrical switch for the windows. It'll work for the engine. Not sure I'd you ran across it yet but the pirate FAQ for these swaps has a ton of info.

Oh yea I found that. Wiring scares the living bejesus out of me though. I'm looking for someone who has gone through the BAR process of making it smog legal. I'm piecing everything together but need to know how they determine which year you have or whatever. I'm just gonna copy my buddy's 87 to the T and tell them it's an 87? I don't know how it works

Oh and I figure I'd title it California 22re swap or something that way I can get input from guys who have gone through the BAR process

Props to whomever changed the title! Thanks!

Now if we could just get you to change that NSFW avatar...

What you got against the ninja turtles???

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422327573.500132.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422327590.265690.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422327656.488723.jpg

Ok so started to really one over my buddy's re. Started noting things I will need. Anyone have some pics of all the A/C stuff that goes on the passenger fender-wall? My buddies truck doesn't have a/c.
Since I'm swapping in a the 89 re, all the sensors and crap should be on the engine itself right?
So I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna tackle my wiring. Should I rip everything out of my dash and just put the entire donor harness in? Or surgically adapt it? Thoughts??
Also, has anyone checked out off-road solutions harness? Worth getting for the money? Thanks

I wouldn't deal with them. I messaged them twice and still no response. One week later.

I talked to the guy a long time ago about it. My guess is they are sick of answering the same questions a thousand times, their harness seems to be adequate if you had no donor harness

I was just asking if it'd work with an automatic computer before I spent $500 on something that wouldn't.

Oh yea that's a good question. I think on the 90 and up (body style change) it won't work but I think on the 85 thu 89 it might.

But check out what I scored just now!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422510102.990007.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1422510115.687285.jpg

Crazy awesome spare parts stash!

I'm jealous. What all are you using for your swap? Like harness wise? And auto or manual ecu and harness?

Early 89 4Runner engine harness and ECU. This is just for spare parts in case I run into something I need

Was that ecu behind an auto or manual transmission?

Was that ecu behind an auto or manual transmission?
That is a good question. Auto tranny setups would have had a neutral start switch. I don't know if 1989 manual trucks also had the neutral start kill. It's a simple fix ... just short the two wires.

Oh it is simple. I was just going to say if automatic you could do a momentary switch as an anti theft device if you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom