Hot air. That's all I wanted. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now I'll be happy if I can just get the Tank on the road before the next snowfall. I just wanted some warm air blowing through the cabin on cold mornings. I didn't think I was asking for much. The engine temp gauge on my 91 FJ80 reads just a hair below dead center once the engine warms up. Doesn't matter if it's 70 degrees outside or 30 below. Doesn't matter if I've been running around town in traffic for hours, climbing mountains in the summer heat, or doing 70 on the highway. The temp gauge won't move until I stop the vehicle and it cools down, and I'll never get more than warm/cool air blowing inside, front and back.
I figured I'd replace the thermostat. I figured it's an easy job, not expensive, and I could flush the system and check the connections on the sensors at the same time. I had a small pinhole leak in my radiator, so I figured I would fix that up, too, while I had it drained. That's what I figured.
So I began to remove the upper thermostat housing. Then I broke the temp sensor. Then I broke the cold start injector time switch (whatever the hell that is). I broke a bracket trying to move it out of the way. I somehow managed to lose 3 - three! - bolts when they fell through the engine compartment and never reached the ground. And then I broke the 4th bolt off inside the lower housing.
On Tuesday, I'll take that lower housing to the machine shop and hope they can help me. If they can, I'll put everything back together - carefully! - and install the new sensors, coolant, and thermostat. I don't really expect that I'll have interior heat when I'm done, as the thermostat I took out looks like it was replaced just last year (before I bought the vehicle). But as long as it runs, I'll count my blessings and bring a blanket on my next ride.
I don't really have a question, just wanted to vent. But if I have to justify this post, let me say thank you to all of you who have contributed here. You positive comments and boundless knowledge gave me the confidence I needed to start this project.

I feel your pain, I have a 91 fj80 that has the same issue, I have tried everything short of a new heater core to fix the problem. These 23 year old trucks can be tough to work on. I am to afraid to pull the dash apart so I am just saving to pay a shop to do it. I figure if they break a handful of parts in the process hopefully they will pay for them.

If you just want heat for your feet, pull the steering shaft seal. Check for a thread from landcruiserPhil called "hot drivers feet" it will at least keep your feet warm!

This is the last thing I needed to read... I started replacing a brake line 2.5 years ago and I've spent my time replacing everything else under the truck...

I feel your pain. Good luck, brother.

Sorry to hear of your tough week. It may be as simple that the heater valve is not opening up all the way. Can happen on the newer trucks, so I'm guessing yours uses a rigid wire much the same way.

FWIW the replacement heater valve sold at NAPA appears to be the exact original part from the same manufacturer.

Real sorry to hear. Especially since chances are your thermostat was just fine.

And yes, back-flushing the heater core with a hose should work just fine from what I've heard.

Had my HG done on my 97 LX450 two years ago. I went through and replaced the whole cooling system. Did the PHH bypass, radiator, hoses pump thermostat and heavy duty flush. After it was all done I had no heat. I pulled the heater supply hose on one side of the heater valve and opened up the hose on the output side. I got a little crud and was proud about how smart I was. I put it all together and still had no heat. The next week I decided to flush it going backwards. I ran a hose in to a bucket so I could see what came out. It totally puked. mostly rust flakes, and rust slime from when the HG was bad. Ive had great heat since then.. One possible word of caution. I am losing just a lttle coolant that I have not been able to track down. PHH, Throttle body bypass (done when I did PHH ) new heater valve... everything is tight and showing no sign of leakage. Did the hydrocarbon test on coolant and HG is still good. I fear I might have a leak in the heater core. I have a faint smell of coolant sometimes inside. Use the smallest amount of pressure on your back flush until it is flowing. My nest stop is to check lines to the back heater. Hope yours works well.
Dont forget to check the cable adjustment where it attaches to the heater valve. I only needs to be a little bit off , it can even look like it is working but can be the source of no heat. It took me a few tries to get it right when I replaced the valve.

Last edited:
My radiator blew out several months ago and I back flushed the heater core. Got a bunch of nasty crud out and was thinking that the heat should be great. As I was flushing the rest of the system I noticed a nice stream of water coming from the right rear door. Opened the door and got a nice waterfall for a bit. The heater core had let go just as spectacularly as the radiator did.
Still haven't gotten around to replacing it. Luckily the winter has been mild so far.

They are not cheap either, going to cost more than the radiator did. Ebay has some for $100 with no tubes. But replacing the core is quite a bit of work and I'm not going to chance one, so it's one from Toyota for about $350. Probably another $75 for hoses and such.
Not to mention the 2 pounds of R-12 that I just put in.

So I began to remove the upper thermostat housing. Then I broke the temp sensor. Then I broke the cold start injector time switch (whatever the hell that is). I broke a bracket trying to move it out of the way. I somehow managed to lose 3 - three! - bolts when they fell through the engine compartment and never reached the ground. And then I broke the 4th bolt off inside the lower housing.

Wow.

That is spectacular. :lol: Thank you for making me feel much better about my limited wrenching abilities. :D

My radiator blew out several months ago and I back flushed the heater core. Got a bunch of nasty crud out and was thinking that the heat should be great. As I was flushing the rest of the system I noticed a nice stream of water coming from the right rear door. Opened the door and got a nice waterfall for a bit. The heater core had let go just as spectacularly as the radiator did.
Still haven't gotten around to replacing it. Luckily the winter has been mild so far.

They are not cheap either, going to cost more than the radiator did. Ebay has some for $100 with no tubes. But replacing the core is quite a bit of work and I'm not going to chance one, so it's one from Toyota for about $350. Probably another $75 for hoses and such.
Not to mention the 2 pounds of R-12 that I just put in.

Mine was good when I yanked it if you want it, I think I know what box of crap I threw it in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom