All new brake calipers (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jjdeneen918

SILVER Star
Threads
So I’m hunting down OEM calipers for my rig.

I want to ensure I have every part on-hand for the job.

I ordered the calipers from McGeorge Toyota as they were the cheapest located on my search.

Is the any additional parts I wouldn’t get with these calipers? Bleeder screws, washers, ect?

IMG_0076.png

Pads.
Soft lines from calipers to axels and axels to frame.
LSVP.
Master Cylinder
Vaccum Booster

All the stuff I changed out over the last couple years... one component at a time. She stops now when I tell her to though, by GOD!

I’ve replaced the flex lines with extended SS lines just a few years back, so they should be okay.

Pads, yes. I’ll check rotors for spec too.

LSVP & ABS deleted. See below.

Master cylinder will be replaced. I’ve went hydroboost a few years back. I’m not happy with pedal feel & throw with the GM 1 1/8” bore. Going to replace with compatible smaller bore MC. Debating on 1 1/16” or 1” still. (Explained at length in the hydroboost post, I’ve been discussing in recently).

Vacuume booster. See above paragraph.

I’m more curious how “complete” the calipers come. Do I need bleeder screws, copper washers, ect…. I’m just not sure how complete the calipers come.

Hydroboost thread for reference of the MC.

If you have OCD:

New banjo (union) bolts if the current ones are original and corroded
Shim kits (I use shims on the rear, won't fit on the front with 100 Series pads, FWIW)
100 Series (1998-2000ish) pads for the front calipers
Toyota High Temp grease
Toyota Rubber grease
Toyota shim grease (Moly)
Rubber plugs (2) for the parking brake adjustment holes in the rear rotors
Emergency brake rebuild parts (won't know what you may need until you take the rotors off)

Sealing washers for sure. Although not necessarily required, I replace banjo bolts for peace of mind. If the old banjo bolts are good, save them as spares.

The new calipers will come with bleeders screws and the bleeder screw rubber caps, Calipers will not come with Banjo bolts (qty 1 per caliper) or banjo crush washers (qty 2 per caliper) The calipers will not come with caliper mounting bolts (qty 2 per caliper)

I would recommend Akibono brake pads and they do come with the anti squeal shims

I also first purchased a set of Akebono pads and yes they came with shims but the backing plate of the pads and shims started to rust just sitting in the box (six months) in the Garage. So then bought a set of OEM ADVICS/Toyota pads and compared them, the ADVICS pads appeared higher quality construction, slightly thicker and uniform pad material, better coating, but they don't come with shims so had to buy the kits from Toyota which cost maybe $20 per side. So there's that.

Forgot to mention the "fitting" kit or anti-rattle clip thingies for the disc brake pads that snap into the calipers (same part for front and rear IIRC).
IME you can often clean and reuse the original Toyota anti-rattle clips as they seem to have very good plating.

Land Cruiser brake fitting kit.jpg

Last edited:
I also first purchased a set of Akebono pads and yes they came with shims but the backing plate of the pads and shims started to rust just sitting in the box (six months) in the Garage. So then bought a set of OEM ADVICS/Toyota pads and compared them, the ADVICS pads appeared higher quality construction, slightly thicker and uniform pad material, better coating, but they don't come with shims so had to buy the kits from Toyota which cost maybe $20 per side. So there's that.
My Akebono pads sat inside my 80 during last years record rain season (CA), and for most of an entire year before being installed = no rust. Georgia is humid very humid...
I do know Akebono stop excellent on 33s, Thanks to a "freelance landscaper" who pulled out in front of me. Its to my understanding that Akebono is or was Toyotas manufacture of brake pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom