How do I center the steering wheel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dynosoar

Slightly Disturbed
SILVER Star
Threads
The title says it all "How do I center the steering wheel?" I have looked through the FSM and there is no documentation that I can find. I have adjusted it on my FJ60 an 40 but the drag link on my RN37 is non adjustable (solid rod). I figure it has something to do with the witness marks on the box, etc. Any tips would be appreciated. I could always just pull the center nut off of the steering wheel and "recenter" it that way, but that seems kind of cheesy.

Dyno

I could always just pull the center nut off of the steering wheel and "recenter" it that way, but that seems kind of cheesy.
It is that simple.

I would get the wheels straight and check to ensure the pitman arm is centered and then as noted above, reset the steering wheel.

Also, even though the center relay rod is solid, the tie-rods do have adjustment and could be used to make sure the arm is centered.

Take it to a shop for alignment. They will recenter your wheel accordingly. If its aligned and it doesn't pull or wander, then I think the removal and replacement of the steering wheel might just be the solution

Also, even though the center relay rod is solid, the tie-rods do have adjustment and could be used to make sure the arm is centered.

As I recall this isn't true on a Gen1 truck. The drag link is solid to the horseshoe arm, which then connects to the tie rod. There is adjustment on the tie rod for alignment, but nothing that would help straighten the steering wheel.

As said, 19mm nut on the wheel, and put it where you want.

As I recall this isn't true on a Gen1 truck. The drag link is solid to the horseshoe arm, which then connects to the tie rod. There is adjustment on the tie rod for alignment, but nothing that would help straighten the steering wheel.

As said, 19mm nut on the wheel, and put it where you want.

I obviously don't know my chassis ID's well at all. I was thinking about the center relay on the IFS chassis trucks.

My thought process on the arm comes from a problem I'm having on my wife's sami following the high steer install which has the arm off center and is causing short steer in one direction. As long as you can get good lock to lock turning, I agree just adjust the wheel.

The "correct" way to center it would be to find/fabricate an adjustable drag link. That is the only way to get even an even number of turns in each direction. The quick-and-dirty method is pop the steering wheel.

I've always used the centering mark on the pitman arm and steering box. Never have had to do the steering wheel adjustment.

I've always used the centering mark on the pitman arm and steering box. Never have had to do the steering wheel adjustment.
If the truck gets lifted with the stock push-pull steering the steering wheel will twist.

I've always just disconnected the steering shaft at the box, turn the wheel straight, and put the shaft back in. Always good to grease the shaft anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom