Builds SLOW 71 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the look of your dash Ron.

Why are you having to cut your spring perches?

Rodney,

My OME springs sagged when I put the engine weight on them and the shackle angle was excessive. In order to get the right shackle angle again, I have to cut the old hangers off and move new ones further up the frame. At the angle they were, I wouldn't have much spring flex at all. Here's a picture of how they were.

I'm not sure how much to move them forward, but a couple inches should do it. I bought some anti-inversion shackles, to replace the straight ones.

IMG_2593.JPG

Rodney,

My OME springs sagged when I put the engine weight on them and the shackle angle was excessive. In order to get the right shackle angle again, I have to cut the old hangers off and move new ones further up the frame. At the angle they were, I wouldn't have much spring flex at all. Here's a picture of how they were.

I'm not sure how much to move them forward, but a couple inches should do it. I bought some anti-inversion shackles, to replace the straight ones.

View attachment 961322

I was afraid that's what you were going to say. I've been worried that the same thing is going to happen to me. Between this possibility and the sky high status of my frame currently, I'm pretty sure i'm going to end up redoing my leaf spring hangers as well

How long after you sat the weight on the frame before you noticed the excessive sag? Do you know how much height you ended up losing on the frame or how much angle you lost on the shackle from the sag?

I assume you'll have to move both the leaf and shackle hangers? When I was looking at my options. even what initially looked to be a small adjustment (in my case when I looked at just shortening the shackles), ended up moving things enough that I was going to have to redo both hangers.

By the way, MAN those are some tiny shackles! :D

The springs are at least 6 years old, but didn't have the motor weight on them until two years ago, that's when they sagged. Not sure how much, but over an inch. All I'm doing is cutting off the hanger from the frame and making some new ones.

Back in the shop and getting the dash finished. Still need to put a sleeve or grommet, in the vent hole, in order to center the rod. To light the dash up, I'm trying these little LED lights, which are only 1/4 inch dia. Using three over head the knobs. The rocker switches will be lit when the headlights come on or in use. Next up the gauge panel.

Tried using different paint and finger nail polish on the emblems, but with my old shaky hands, it didn't go well. Stripped all the paint off and spray painted them. Good for me!

Got the winch all taken off, in order to cut the spring perches. Not looking forward to that job.

View attachment 960365

View attachment 960367

View attachment 960368

ummmmmmmmm, you look like you are doing quite well with those "old shaky hands", lol :), beautiful work!

Back in the shop and getting the dash finished. Still need to put a sleeve or grommet, in the vent hole, in order to center the rod. To light the dash up, I'm trying these little LED lights, which are only 1/4 inch dia. Using three over head the knobs. The rocker switches will be lit when the headlights come on or in use. Next up the gauge panel.

Tried using different paint and finger nail polish on the emblems, but with my old shaky hands, it didn't go well. Stripped all the paint off and spray painted them. Good for me!

Got the winch all taken off, in order to cut the spring perches. Not looking forward to that job.

View attachment 960365

View attachment 960367

View attachment 960368

Very nice!

I need some opinions... Made the new spring hangers and well, you tell me, is the new angle acceptable? I haven't finished the other side, so it might change a little. Here's before and after.

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

I'm thinking you went too far. I'd be worried the shackle will allow it to go the wrong way if weight is removed from the spring.

You'll want the bottom bolt to be forward of your top bolt just like it was a stock shackle.

My two cents.

Yeah, That's what I'm afraid of, too. I tried to wind up with them straight up and then if she sagged some more, would turn out perfect.

Back to the welding table.

Thanks Nik!

do not attempt to get a straight up shackle angle...ask my kidneys why. I think if you had split the diff betwixt straight up and where they were before the hanger relocate, you'd be stylin. IMO, I think you had just bit too much angle where they were before. the more vert the shackles, the moar bumpier the ride....

^^^^^

Ron, are you running factory length springs? I could measure eye to eye on mine, the shackle angle looks good and I'm running the OME springs and the same shackles.

Thanks guys, needed some input to make up my mind, to either cut the one off and start over or weld the second one on and see if it settles some more. Hard to figure where the final angle will be, until the springs settle.

JMack, the springs are OME FJ60 springs, I'm guessing. They came with the wagon.

Thanks guys, needed some input to make up my mind, to either cut the one off and start over or weld the second one on and see if it settles some more. Hard to figure where the final angle will be, until the springs settle.

JMack, the springs are OME FJ60 springs, I'm guessing. They came with the wagon.

Ron,
I have the CS007F springs and assuming you have the CS005F it would appear your shackle end length is 40mm shorter.
I could give you my dimensions as a starting point if it helps.

Fj55Springoptions.jpg

Thanks JMack for the offer, but I'm thinking for now, just weld up the other side and move on. Get it running and if the springs don't settle some more, then correct down the road. It will work as is, but could be better. Seems I'm getting a longer list of redos anyway.

I would think, once it's drivable and the springs get used some, they may change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom