Warn 8274 - Rebuild and Brake Assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day Guys,

I picked up an old Warn 8274 winch a few months back which I have rebuilt. During the rebuild I worked out a method of putting the brake back together that might save a bit of frustration.

My first attempt was less than successful. I put the main shaft into a vice, put one half of the brake on and aligned the ball bearings. I would then creep up on the beast and attempt to clamp it together. The slightest touch would result in the ball bearings rolling around and I'd have to start again. I repeated this process over and over and over again. At points I thought I was loosing my grip on reality, again and again lining up those ball bearings, as if something might mysteriously change and it would all go back together. I eventually gave up and went to bed.

During the night while asleep an idea came to me. In the morning, I raced back to the shed and within 5 or 10 minutes I had the brake reassembled and the circlip in place. No swearing, no yelling, no dog kicking. This is how the winch looked when I got it home. It had been sitting out in a paddock for a couple of decades. It is actually a 1977 model.

Cheers,

Ben

P.S. This is the project. His name is Mario and he is an '84 HJ47.

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1293.JPG

I had the body of the winch sandblasted and then powder coated and the hardware re-zinc coated. I sent Warn Industries an email and they posted me a bunch of decals for nothing. It was an exciting day in our household when a letter from Oregon turned up and the kids enjoyed googling 'Clackamas'.

The name of the bloke at Warn was Steve Schoenfelder, he was great to deal with and we swapped a couple of emails..............Steve owns an 8274 himself, unfortunately, he drives a Land Rover.

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

Ok. Here is how I assembled the brake.
1. These images show the conventional method. Note: the spirit level to try and stop the ball bearings rolling around........an impossible task.

Continued.......

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

This is the process I used.
1. Take one bolt. Size doesn't really matter. I put it in a vice, but you could just as easily balance it on a workbench.
2. Start assembling the brake in the reverse order. That is, you start assembling from the outside towards the body of the winch. NOTE: by doing it in the reverse order you use the larger spacer/washer to hold the bearings in place.
3. Once you get to this stage place the brake over the bolt and slowly tighten with the nut.

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

6. Align the keyways on the shaft with the brake and install the key.
7. Install the circlip.
8. Breathe a sigh of relief..........unless, I'm mistaken your brake is now back together.

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

And a couple of images of the front bumper. I had this old bit of 'C' section hanging around the shed for a few years, figuring that one day I would use it for something worth while. I made up a cardboard template and was going to have the 'Teq' symbol laser cut into it. However, I was so pleased with the service from Warn I decided to go with them.

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

The laster cutting used a bit of 3mm scrap to run a test on. After looking at it for a while I decided not to have the 'Warn' symbol cut into the mounting plate. However I cut it out and used it on the end of the bumper instead.

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

This is the finished bumper, back from powder coating. I reckon it looks ok.

Cheers,

Ben

P.S. And if you are wondering if the winch and brake works? Well I'm buggered if I know. The solenoid box is empty!

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

Nice work! I laid the winch on its side and used a small bit of red sticky grease to stick the bearing balls to the assembly before putting the outer brake disc on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom