Japan is making a NEW 70 see attached. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you guys will have to learn how to drive on the right side off the road because the rest off the world wont part with there old 70's. :)

It looks to me like these are front coils, rear leaf spring suspensions. http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/vehicle_gallery/suvs/land_cruiser70/

Why oh why can't we get one of these in the US!?! I saw them all over Russia when I was visiting Vladivostok. I didn't know they existed until then. I've been salivating in frustration ever since.

These have a V8 TD option in Oz? I need a bib now.

Well actually one of big problems for VDJ76 ( or any V8 7* series ) LHD it's the position of the IC on the engine bay vs the brake booster ..

Ok. I can live without the V8 TD. That 4.0v6 will be fine, though I'd rather a 1hzt or d. The option to buy a 70 at all would be cool.

It seems to me the only competition for a 4 door 70 would really be the LWB Jeep. Nothing Ford or Chevy can complain about and we need more options in the smaller WB suvs.

They do not meet current DOT standards. It would co$t boatloads of coin to get them certified.

good promo videos here.....nothing wrong with a little envy.

back to my 80's crew.....take care!

They do not meet current DOT standards. It would co$t boatloads of coin to get them certified.

A pure $ and cents argument I can understand: if they have to reengineer the whole thing, it has to stay cost effective. I suspect the number of sales would start dropping quick if the price got much north of $35k. They are still building these things, so it isn't a matter of mothballed tools or trained workforce. Engineering is already done for several powerplants, etc. The expensive stuff is done.

The new 70s already have airbags and ABS. I wonder what else DOT requires. Seatbelts, check. I'm sure the list is long, but all I really want is a simple robust machine. A few years ago some guys were trying to import a softened Romanian military 4x4: Crosslander. I'd prefer to have a LC, but I would have been in line to buy the Crosslander if they could have gotten past the safety regulations and I expect a fair amount of resistance from Detroit and other major automakers.

A pure $ and cents argument I can understand: if they have to reengineer the whole thing, it has to stay cost effective. I suspect the number of sales would start dropping quick if the price got much north of $35k. They are still building these things, so it isn't a matter of mothballed tools or trained workforce. Engineering is already done for several powerplants, etc. The expensive stuff is done.

The new 70s already have airbags and ABS. I wonder what else DOT requires. Seatbelts, check. I'm sure the list is long, but all I really want is a simple robust machine. A few years ago some guys were trying to import a softened Romanian military 4x4: Crosslander. I'd prefer to have a LC, but I would have been in line to buy the Crosslander if they could have gotten past the safety regulations and I expect a fair amount of resistance from Detroit and other major automakers.

The average American consumers are polar opposites from the Cruiser enthusiast represented on this web site. They are more interested in heated leather seats, cup holders, Bluetooth capabilities and 6-7 speed automatic transmissions that yield good gas mileage.
They have NO interest in a "simple robust machine".

True that. I expect average American drivers don't often buy Land Cruisers, new or old.

This we called a World Domination of a 4x4 we see them in the most remote part of the World and people rely on them even the UN choose a Land Cruiser , from the deepest of the jungle and to the city , I think that is why they call it a LAND CRUISER.

It is a conundrum.
The LC 76 has:
  • The suspension [EDIT "front suspension"] & basic frame design of a FJ80: (Perfect)
  • The rear suspension and basic body design of the FJ60: (Perfect)
  • Part time electric locking hubs: (Perfect)
  • Front and Rear electric locking differential option: (Perfect)
  • The Japan version will get the V6 engine of the Tacoma/FJ Cruiser/4 Runner, V6 Tundra: (Pretty good)
  • A simple interior (much like the Tacoma): (Perfect)
  • A high roof with gutters that can take a HD full length roof rack: (Perfect)
  • MSRP under 40 grand.: (Perfect)

Why won't we get it in the USA?
Pretty obvious, take a look at it... Its a freaking drool machine and would kill the sales of all their other SUV's

LC 76.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I know the suspension is not the same as the FJ80. The 76 only has coils in front. At the back it has leaf springs.

As far as I know the suspension is not the same as the FJ80. The 76 only has coils in front. At the back it has leaf springs.
^^ You are so right... the news was so exciting that I wet myself and mis-wrote the info.. Good catch!

This is why the US Government will never allow this type of vehicle in the Toyota Showroom , because they are trying to protect their own economy against this beautiful Machine , so sad the rest of the world has it , I could buy this brand new back Home but can't bring it here .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom