Custom Toyota FJ43 Tub Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CHAS404

Volcan 4x4, LLC
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.volcan4x4.com
FINAL PRODUCT.... More completed photos below... took us a while but we got it done... Top part made in Colombia. We now make a Florida new trailer base copying the prototype and using the painted/tub top portion. These are available $6900 going forward if someone wants one.

IMG_5296.JPG

IMG_5297.jpg

I am down in Colombia designing and building a custom trailer using a 5 foot long FJ43 tub. If this works out I will manufacture a bunch of them.

This is the prototype.

Wanted to see what your comments are.

Details so far...

FJ43 tub with custom drop down tailgate. Welded trailer frame (I may have these made later on in the USA)
the front section will be another 2 or 3 feet in a triangle made of aluminum diamond plate like a pickup tool box (maybe white is better or color match the tub. we will see).
Front 'wall' custom made and will all connect with the tool box area.

Total weight estimated 850 pounds
payload 3/4 ton or 1500 pounds
2 inch ball
bed is 5 feet exactly
frame custom built all welded
total length 8 feet trailer

Color can be painted matched to buyer's truck using toyota paint code. PPG paint.
color matched/textured bedliner.
The hubs will be Toyota 6 bolt for classic rims etc.
Those wheels I had made here. they are 15 inch original toyota welded into a modern hilux 16 by 7 rim.
we painted them black on our FJ43 truck and put the hubcaps on them
tires are 265/75/16 around 32 inches.
trailer will ride at the same height and have the same wheels and tires as the truck. same paint.
not sure if this trailer goes with the 82 FJ43 in red or the blue 78 FJ43 I have coming. That truck will have 7.50 x 16 tires on split rims.

use land cruiser emblems and rear lights from FJ40. license plate holder etc.

do metal bars maybe 12 inches up from the tub and cover with the same soft top fabric as the truck.

I think I ship it out and import it as automotive parts. Florida registration is with no title just bill of sale due to the low weight. Every state is different and thus in the future may have to get a new trailer made in FL with vin number and title. ship the finished and painted tub in and put it together in FL.

dont have those details figured out yet. I figured I should just build it and go from there.

trailer is being built by a guy that specializes in this. I saw his other trailers and very nicely built.

I don't have all the costs added up yet but won't be cheap due to the wheels/tires/tub and custom paint/welded frame.

I was looking at the adventure style trailers and they look to be $8000 to $12,000.

Pop up tent or bbq etc would be cool in the future.

These pictures are not great. the frame that it is on is for another trailer. he is building mine now.
IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4040.JPG

Last edited:
we are building the trailer tub and storage box as one complete unit. will be attached to the frame using toyota body mounts (or similar). Might make sense in the future to build that unit completely painted etc and ship that to buyer's state. buyer then has a trailer made. Not sure. I plan to speak with some Tampa area trailer builders to see what the cost is. I think this will be a cool accessory for a land cruiser enthusiast. Only 5 foot bed but most pickups have that now. You can haul a lawn mower or mulch etc. If anyone sees this trailer and has to have it let me know. Especially if you live in Florida. Will sell at cost to fund my prototype.

This is 82 FJ43 I am finishing up on. white line goes away. I actually decided to repaint the entire truck although it does not need. will ship with 3 tops. hard top. soft top and pickup top. the wheels and tires same as the trailer above. It is better to buy the tires and wheels in the USA. more choices and costs a bit less.
IMG_3888.JPG

frame coming together. white stuff is Dupont filler to smooth out. guy builds plenty of trailers mostly for hauling.

Will paint the frame black with PPG anti-rust paint later.

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

I think the leaf packs are reused from a Suzuki Samurai. Maybe a Daihatsu. Should have more photos next week.

Can't manufacture these in Colombia for import unless I do DOT rear lights etc. get a vin. I can do that in the future. Or use Florida made trailer and mount the finished tub once in Florida. So this trailer here is a prototype and not for sale.

More photos... I want to use the FJ40 lights on the rear. looks like he did not do it the way I want. I will modify it later. Trailer looks good though.

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 1.JPG

There will be a triangular (ish) tongue storage box along the front. total length 8 feet.

Looks good with the 32 inch tires and 16 inch wheels. He is going to adjust the leaf springs to make it level with the 82 FJ43 we are finishing.

Figuring out this trailer idea. Trailer still being finished. I believe if I move forward I will be using a Florida trailer manufacturer to build the trailer. That will make it 50 state legal with a VIN number etc. We will source and paint the tub in Colombia and ship it to Florida to mount on the Florida trailer. The specs will be similar to those above. We will lighten it up a bit from 900 pounds down to 750. The Colombian one is super super overbuilt. we will still use all welded oversized frame (probably 1 inch by 3 inch) painted black with PPG paint. The hitch will be adjustable for the height of the tow vehicle. Leaf springs will be oversized to take the 3500 pound axle and the 6 bolt hubs for Toyota rims and approximately 31 inch tires.

are these fabbed tubs, or salvaged tubs from complete vehicles?

Tubs are brand new fabricated in Colombia. They come with a primer on them. All steel and look very close to the Toyota original.

I may sell FJ40 or FJ43 new tubs in the future. Trying to figure how to do it without setting up a bunch of infrastructure/customer service. I think this trailer is going to turn out well.

Coming together finally. Goes from trailer guy to my body shop/ paint shop soon. We do the custom tailgate and FJ40 lights etc there. Paint will be PPG. I think I will paint it red.

IMG_4282.JPG
IMG_4283.JPG
IMG_4284.JPG
IMG_4285.JPG
IMG_4286.JPG

Pretty sweet. The frame looks strong. pleased with the front panel that he welded in. body shop can finish it up a bit too. We will paint textured painted along the bed. red textured if we do red exterior etc.

That front angle there is for the tongue storage box. will use diamond plate. I am thinking now we should paint it black or red but we can decide that later.

In talking with my Florida trailer builder I think we lighten this one up a bit with thinner rails and a 3500 pount axle. That is still overbuilt. Cant wait to finish it.

The tongue box and the FJ43 tub will be welded together to form one complete unit. that unit then gets painted all over and under and then gets attached using FJ40 frame bolts and body mounts. That was the idea. If not we adapt something else. Idea is it is just like a pickup bed that is bolted to a frame with body mounts.

Thus I may make these FJ43 tubs complete in Colombia then ship them to be attached to a new Florida trailer.

Pretty sweet, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

-Daniel Kent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom