Builds 1978 BJ40 Restoration, ETA spring 2015 roll out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found this picture of the PO using the rig as a tractor, spreading out horse sh!t and using the chains :D
Billy.jpg

Are you still working on your truck. I have stopped for now, im going to wait for spring. If you have anymore pictures put them up. My pictures are to big to put up.

Use infran view to shrink them to usable size. Yes I am still working on my truck. got the diffs off and just trying to figure out how to take off the steering stabalizer from the frame...

When I found mine I was on a back road, I was looking for one too. It was funny when I went screaming past the one I picked up I was going pretty good and came to a quick rough stop. I have found more on the back roads just looking around. Thats why i like my job now I get to go to towns were most people would not, also roads were most people would not go. Im waiting to find that one farmer who has a FJ45 sitting next to his barn or in it.

Ya, I was considering buying a tacoma down the road. But I think I will buy a 45 and diesel it. That would be awesome.

cost:
there is a difference between a refurbishing and a restoration. a true restoration can run 6 figures. a refurbishing can run anywhere from $2000 to $30000.
i have only seen one "close to" true restoration and it wasn't done by a company. there is no companies that do true restorations that i know of. remember a true restoration has all the spot welds on the exact same places as factory, every seam is factory, every part is factory, no lift, no updated part swaps, NO changes from factory, every color is exact... HUGE time and costs involved.

this is a refurbishing, this is what i recommend to anyone that is interested in being able to actually ENJOY their ride when completed. too many times i have seen customers wanting a realy clean refurbishing and then have it parked in the garage because "it is too nice to wheel now".

congrates on taking a practical approach to your truck.

reading this thread has brought back a lot of memories. lot of work eh?

oh, and consolidated compressor is your friend in Calgary. i have done a lot of sandblasting with their equipment, hint:stand back when blasting the doors and hood. they also have glass beading if you want to use that.

yank the engine and the drivetrain, take the whole frame down there and in 90 minutes you will have an excellent base to build from. bank on $200 for sandblasting but you will spend that in wire wheels and still not get into the joints where you need to be...

POR15 is s*** and i don't mean s***z. use zero rust (the sand blasting place sells it by the gallon cheap), that way you can see what is going on with your frame.

your frame is your foundation, cut corners there and you WILL regret it down the road. (Galvanizing is for bridges)...

good luck on your build.

Thanks Crushers!
It is a lot of work.
I have the frame sandblasted, and I am just waiting to finish my house so I can move all the furniture back in... so I can move the cruiser in the garage. I am trying to afford a brand spanking new B diesel, and some other body work...

I am looking for a cheap alternative to OME springs, anybody got some they want to give to me!!! :D
I just need rears.

Also need to make the rear bumper supports, the 45 ones. Might consider making one larger one...
I should get some pictures up, been very lazy latley, just to many things on the go.
I miss working on the cruiser.

nice work

Looks like you are making good progress. I like the workspace I wish I had some room like that-it's hard working in a little suburban garage.

Cute pic of the P/O with the kid, that kid looks like he is enjoying himself! we'll look for him on mud in a few years:)

Ya, Nice guy. I am good friends with him now. Sometimes he is going to be giving me a hand soon with the truck.

Also he is looking at buying a s.a.s. fibreglass removable top 4runner. Should be on here soon enough!

aircrew... any updates.. im in caglary and contemplating a FJ40 purchase shortly here...

Not much, I am moving parts around and working on it here and there. Trying to finish my last semester of school, and then I will be busy again.
Which one?
Might have looked at it too :D

Quick Update,

I am at CFB Borden in Ontario right now finishing up some school for the military, and will be in Alberta soon enough!

-My frame is sandblasted and painted with zero rust.
-My engine needs to be sent to the machine shop, then assembled. (hoping to have all the funds saved up soon)
-Next is having Ryan at hilltop square up my body, and get started on that. Don't know when that will begin, or when I can afford it. Just don't have the tooling anymore, so I can't fab my own..... Bummer
-Going to start collecting parts here and there,
I will get some pics up when I get back home.

Any updates on the resto?

Hey there everyone! I know it has been a while, I have been busy...
I worked for the Royal Canadian Air Force for 5 years, and I am now out of the military working back near home. I was unable to have the cruiser up on base, so now being back home the project is on the go again!
I am currently working as an aircraft mechanic/metal fabricator in Calgary Alberta.
I have plans to bring all my panels to consolidated compressor by end of August.

Updates on the truck are as follows:
-1985 3B with New ROO head, block machined with new liners, crank polished and all new bearings.(this is in the works with a friend) and TD04 turbo.
-H55, I believe it needs syncros, output and input bearings. Was operating good when removed from a 60.
-frame is ready to go
Axles will be blasted and sprayed, new seals and felt, bearings are in good condition.
-rust in the bed is extensive, I think I will have to either produce my own or source: most aft portion of bed, and sill, wheel wells need some patching,rear quarters are gone. Front floor panels L and R, and patching front fenders.

So I need your guys help on some decisions :]

What:
-Body color
-disk or drum
-stock seats that I re upholster here at work, or comfy leather seats from some written of expensive car.
-stock front and rear bumpers, or custom, with bull bar, and rear dual swing outs.
-painted sealed floor, or sound deadened and carpet.

Has anyone used EBI panels before? How is the fit and finish?
I know Ryan at hilltop makes exceptionally high quality panels, but I have not got ahold of him yet, and he is usually a busy man.

Anything you guys have added that is a must?

Cheers,

Brodie

color - your choice, not black, black is ugly on a 4*. i like the red, yellow, light green and blue but most of all i like tan or blood red.
disc front, leave rear drum. chev converted rear disc suck big time as do most or the kits out there.
stock seats are fine, i actually like the old split bench (pre 73), comfy as all hell and great for that quick nap on the trail or long drives
do you have a need for dual rear swing outs? are you running a winch? once again it comes down to what you want it to look like finished off
no matter what finish you put on the floor painted floor is important and stay away from that bed liner s*** everyone loves so much.
must run good
must stop good
must steer good
other than that it is all veneer anyway.

Thanks Wayne,

Yep I am pretty much sold on tan, or a satin/flat version of 78 blue.
I would like to do some samples of rustoleum tan, and krylon khaki.

Is there another paint brand out there that people like? I have a hvlp sprayer. I do not want a gloss finish as this truck will be DD, camped, adventured.
Not going to be a mud bogger as I have dirt bikes for that.

What do you guys like for front brakes? Is there a caliper I can find and refresh from a wreckers? Tundra... Something affordable and not outrageous would be nice.

I am leaning towards the stock seats, I can get my hands on some very nice aircraft quality leathers. Perhaps some memory foam padding is in order.

Crushers do you have rear quarter glass on hand? I am missing rear RH. And really don't want to have to bend some polycarbonate, it scratches so easy.

And as for bumpers, I don't need dual rear swing out, but my rear bumper is a little rough, I can either fix it up. Fab a new stocker, or build a custom one and mount the tire there. Similar to an icon setup.
I may just keep it simple and stay stock. And then upgrade as needed down the road.
I have a 12,000lb winch to install, but I might switch that for the goto 8274.

Ideally I want to build the truck to be used, reliable. Anything that can be upgraded for reliability and use would be preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom