12HT + FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another day at the shop.

I was alone at the shop almost all day. They locked up at 10am and I only had a couple tools and minimal hardware with me in the alley. Didnt get a TON done, but I got the air cleaner mounted (kinda). Its REALLY sturdy, no play, super strong. But I could only mount it by two bolts because the bracket doesnt conform to my truck very well. I dont want to re-weld and fab a bracket so I think Ill leave it for now.
I got the fuel filler neck back in, and the exhaust roughed out. I got a few bends tac welded, and should fab it up tomorrow.
I dont have a pipe bender, so Im pie cutting each bend, then bending it with a prybar. Not the best solution I know, but hey, it works.

Im going to mount the Vac chamber and power steering reservoir tomorrow, and connect all the heating elements.

I cant figure out how the damn gas pedal assembly works with the cable...... Gonna check an 80 out and see how it works.

Stay tuned. We're close!

"
I am going to be doing a split system. The engine, glow screen, starter, etc. will be run on 24 volts from the original alternator. The rest of the truck will remain 12volt.
My plan is to use a relay system and split the two harnesses into basically independent systems. The only 24 volt accessory in the cab will be the gauges. The tach will be 24, as will the temp, oil etc. The speedo I will be changing to MPH.
That will be a little custom side build as I have to modify the housing and whatnot.
Build resumes tomorrow at 8:00! Stay tuned! "

Do you ( or anyone else) have a circuit diagram for this please. I will soon be putting a 24V engine into a 12 v car and would like to retain at least the starter.
Sorry haven't quite got my quotes right yet.
I dont have one. Sorry. Honestly, I wont be doing most of the wiring. We have a shop tech who is just a wizard with wiring and he said he'd help me out. Suposedly its really straight forward? And I can take tons of photos? Thats probably the best I can do. Sorry

The end is near.....er

I did some serious work today.
Mounted the air cleaner
Mounted the power steering reservoir
Mounted the vacuum pot
Plumbed all the heating lines
Plugged the hole in the block where a L comes up for the rear heaters that I don't need.
Mounted my AC radiator
Built and mounted my new custom throttle pedal.
Thought a LOT about how the heck I'm gonna rig up a throttle assembly.
BUILT MY EXHAUST!!!!

Oh. And I taught myself how to MIG weld. Hahahaha

Please. No judgement of the welding. I can stick weld pretty good, but today was the first time I picked up a MIG. Don't worry, this exhaust is only temporary.

Got the exhaust laid out. Without a bender I had to pie cut, then bend, then weld. I know. It's gonna leak.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405493191.154048.jpg

Got it welded up, painted,'and it's in!!!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405493286.055513.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405493318.051728.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405493332.934022.jpg

Then I started building my gas pedal!
I needed the cable style pedal from the HJ, but the RHD pedal was curved into the wall, so I cut it off and put on my old pedal arm, and welded it all together.

Then I built a plate to mount it on, plugged the old hole in the firewall, and drilled the new throttle hole.

I also put the hood on hahaha

Here's what I got done today

Set up flood lights for night work
Cleaned up the ally and picked up all my old parts
Installed front grill
Drilled and seated the throttle cable
Mounted the throttle pedal assembly
Pulled the choke cable
Fabricated a bracket for the throttle cable
Fabricated an adjustable arm for throttle throw distance
Made my own mount for my radiator overflow can thing
Got ready to wire everything up
Pulled power steering lines and took measurements for the new ones I'll have made tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405579164.487041.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405579178.597162.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405579195.085587.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405579207.721063.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405579223.102672.jpg

Last day of "mechanical" work.
I got the throttle finished, and the air cleaner back in.
I re-laid the carpet and insulation in the drivers footwell
Then I put away all my tools, stored my leftover and spare parts, cleaned up the ally, pulled off the cardboard garage, stepped back, and took a good look at my new truck.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405664134.835168.jpg

The ball is no longer in my court. Iv done everything but finish the power steering, fill the tank with diesel, and prime the fuel system.

Those two things should happen tomorrow or Saturday. Beyond that, Jeff is going to handle the wiring. As a result, the finish date will depend solely on his ability to wire this baby as quickly as he can.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405664154.674289.jpg

My parents broke the news to me that I will be leaving to go to work next Thursday with or without my truck. I work for my dad operating heavy equipment, and my deadline is almost here.

It would kill me to be working and know that I went that hard for that long only to have it sitting in the ally 95% done......

I likened it to running a marathon, only to have your shoes come untied 10 feet before the finish line.

Regardless. It's almost done

Here's that bracket for the radiator overflow I was so excited about
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405664196.183485.jpg

Looking good!

ps. you really should paint red the toyota on front grill :cool:

Looking good!

ps. you really should paint red the toyota on front grill :cool:
I'm going to!
I only blacked it out cause I was going to re-paint it in white, but found I had no paint to do it with. I'll do it in a week or so

That's on my todo list find the same tach for my 75 series ute that has 12ht in it

Soooo the truck has been done for a week or so now (other than wiring). Iv done just about everything I can other than wire everything. Unfortunately the guy at the shop who said he'd wire it for me hasn't been able to start. He's really busy but its torture being so close and not being able to do anything about it. I really want my truck back!

Regardless, it'll get done in the next few weeks (I hope) and I should have it by the time sng). Iv done just about everything I can other than wire everything. Unfortunately the guy at the shop who said he'd wire it for me hasn't been able to start. He's really busy but its torture being so close and not being able to do anything about it. I really want my truck back!

Regardless, it'll get done in the next few weeks (I hope) and I should have it by the time school starts. chool starts.

That's on my todo list find the same tach for my 75 series ute that has 12ht in it
The real trick is finding the sensor that goes in the bell housing to measure the RPM. I love the little boost lights; I think they add a fun effect. Though they might just become annoying after driving the truck for a few months.....

You don't need me to tell you, but it looks great!

The wiring will come along fast enough, and there's just not that much for him to do, so it'll be soon enough.

But yes, the wait is a killer!

Dan

The time has come to fire it up, and I need to prime my fuel system. The problem is, my manual fuel pump wont suck. I filled the fuel line from the tank, to the first filter by hand. Then I filled the filter, and the line from the filter to the manual pump, also by hand. Once it was all clamped and sealed, I started pumping with the manual priming pump. After 20 straight minutes, I noticed no difference in the pump, and no new fuel was flowing through the filter.

I removed the line from the primary filter (so it was only connected to the priming pump at one end). I then held it up and filled it with diesel. When I pumped the priming pump, the fuel level in the hose did not go down at all. As a result, I have reason to believe that the pump is broken.

How else can I prime my system?? If I put enough fuel in the lines before the priming pump will the engine automatically suck it up??? How "primed" does it need to be?

what should I do?

Thanks!

The time has come to fire it up, and I need to prime my fuel system. The problem is, my manual fuel pump wont suck. I filled the fuel line from the tank, to the first filter by hand. Then I filled the filter, and the line from the filter to the manual pump, also by hand. Once it was all clamped and sealed, I started pumping with the manual priming pump. After 20 straight minutes, I noticed no difference in the pump, and no new fuel was flowing through the filter.

I removed the line from the primary filter (so it was only connected to the priming pump at one end). I then held it up and filled it with diesel. When I pumped the priming pump, the fuel level in the hose did not go down at all. As a result, I have reason to believe that the pump is broken.

How else can I prime my system?? If I put enough fuel in the lines before the priming pump will the engine automatically suck it up??? How "primed" does it need to be?

what should I do?

Thanks!

Have you connected the return fuel from the IP back to the fuel tank? Also did you bleed the air out of the system.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1405701855_476853.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a good battery it can self-prime just fine... No need to use the manual pump for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom