4th Annual 100s in the Hills - Ouray, Colorado: August 1-3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome Carl! Will definitely have a chat with you about regearing.

Can anyone share with me the layout at camp? Is there anything to do for a day if you stay back at camp? Any bodies of water within walking distance, any short hikes, etc? In anticipation of the trail run signup being sent out, I'm thinking my wife and daughter would prefer to only hit the trails for one day like Black Bear. So the other day can they occupy themselves at camp or would I be better off taking them into town?

Thanks!

@fireball I would say town...but even that might not fill a whole day. The way the guys do the trail runs makes it an enjoyable day. Lots of 'out of the truck' time. The days fly by.

...via IH8MUD app

These are very scenic trails, not technical! You don't go and you'll be missing out on some of the coolest places to see in this country!

The terrain alone changes so much it's unbelievable!

Scroll through the pics for last yeasts trip and you'll know what I mean!

Don't get me wrong! I've got little kids and I'm tired all the time, it did run through my mind skip a trail and just sit at camp all day and do absolutely nothing but nap/beer/food! But I don't want to miss out!
Besides these are small mountain towns, other than food and hot springs all you got left are the froofroo gift shops!:confused:

Last edited:
I would have to agree that this is a very relaxed group on the trail with a relaxed pace that works for most. They may be able to get a day out of Ouray between the Hot Springs, visiting the couple of falls in town and some tourist type shopping. There may be a day spa type place in town, but not for sure on where. That said, like everyone said, staying back will really miss the adventure.

Wow bluecruiser, looks like the once little outing has grown up!

How many trucks do you figure will be there this year?

If I don't see you, have a safe trip

@murf looking at 34-37 100 Series at the camp at any one time. Thanks again for your (Camelback Toyota) support of the event. A few years ago we had about 5 trucks, the 100s are multiplying!

To the organizers:
What kind of toilet set up will be there? I remember somewhere in the tread reading about actual porta potty on site. Is that correct or do we have the bucket in the tent and BRING YOUR OWN BAGS set up?
Good info for anybody ordering things online so there's time for delivery.
Thanks

Thanks for the trail info guys. Definitely taking the whole crew on Black Bear one day. Would like to do Poughkeepsie with the group but the wife and daughter aren't super keen on the tougher trails, so was considering letting them have a day to themselves. Then doing something easier and a bit more scenic on Sunday morning. We'll play it by ear.

I also have a huge favor/request to ask to anybody (willing and with available space) running through Denver area and down I70 passing Idaho Springs: And the word is :beer: BEER :beer:

Around the Denver area it would be a sampler box from ODELL Brewery - 800 East Lincoln Ave Fort Collins, CO 80524 - But you would find their box at Costco and most liquor stores in Denver.

Also TOMMYKNOCKER Brewery - 1401 Miner St, Idaho Springs, CO 80452 - Their sampler box can also be found at most liquor stores but if anybody would be willing to make a quick stop at their pub (very easy btw) and pick up I would be able to call and set up my own box selection and pay ahead. All you would do is pick up and bring to Ouray!

FIREBALL, if you are heading to Georgetown you will be passing right by their building on I70 (you can see it from the interstate)

Let me know if possible guys (just pm me). Maybe 2 different trucks could help and each pick from one brewery so won't take too much room from one vehicle alone! Of course I'll pay you back upon delivery of the package.:)
Thank you so much in advance.

I am waiting to hear what the plan is from the Denver crew. If they are leaving on Tuesday then we won't make it to Georgetown/Guenella. If they aren't leaving until Wednesday we will head out to Georgetown Tuesday morning, then up and over Guenella and meet them Wednesday. If that's the case I'll be happy to stop for you. Might want to have a backup plan just in case. I'd hate for you to have to go thirsty all weekend ;)

Planning craft beer pickups across the country is highly favorable with the HIH director crew. Keep it up guys!!!!!!

Last edited:
Is it too obvious how bad I miss Colorado already? We left only five months ago!
The sad part is those 2 breweries I mentioned are our favorites and they are nowhere near California stores.:(
I even pondered about trying to become a distributor for one of them but no go.

Planning craft beer pickups across the country is highly favorable with the HIH director crew. Keep it guys!!!!!!

Sharing that beer with the directors is even more favorable. Unfortunately I have Celiac Disease, so my beer consumption is pretty limited. But, if one of you boys coming from the Southern states could bring some Sweetwater Brown, I can usually handle one or two.

I have received a few emails about trails. I promise, no one will miss out on a trail they wanted to run. We will work out the logistics to make sure every person gets to run the trails they want. We fully understand that for some of you, this event takes up the majority of your summer vacation. We appreciate your willingness to come and spend it with us. Between Chris, Jonathan and I, there isn't a trail in the area that we haven't been on. If we have to run something twice in one day to ensure you get to see it, we will. @nakman and @AimCOtaco are standing by to lead if we need them to. Don't let logistics get in the way of you and your family enjoying this event. That stuff is the easy part.

We are flying into DIA on Thursday morning, grabbing the 100 and heading off. We will be stopping somewhere to pick up food and (more importantly) beer. I can grab extra for anyone that needs it. Suggestions on a good package store along the way?

Stan

Have never seen Sweetwater Brown here, but have a friend who owns a liquor store, will see if he can get it.

...via IH8MUD app

Last minute amazon order: seam sealer for the tent, 2 citronella candles and some heavy duty tent stakes! Sorry @paflytyer you can't buy sweet georgia brown on amazon prime!

We should be ready to roll

TRAIL DESCRIPTIONS:

I started typing a description of each trail, but the FJ Summit website has great descriptions of most of what we'll be doing.
http://www.fjsummit.org/trails.php

Something not on that list that we'll run is Clear Lake. I will lead a mild/family/fishing run on Friday. Clear Lake is one of my favorites in the area. It's a mild trail with views that will take your breath away. Don't forget a camera and some snacks (lunch if you prefer). We'll take it slow and just relax at the lake. There are areas around the lake to hike, explore and take photos. This is high altitude stuff, so you may not want to walk too far if you're just getting to Colorado. Be aware to the signs of Acute Mountain Sickness, you will get winded quickly.
Last year we were treated to a Circumhorizontal Arc or "Fire Rainbow". This is a pretty rare phenomenon, so it was pretty amazing to see. http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/05/fire-rainbows-rare-cloud-phenomenon.html
There are fish in the lake and you're welcome to try your hand at catching a brook or cutthroat trout. You are required to have a fishing license to fish in Colorado. You can purchase by the day, week or the season. RIGS fly shop in Ridgway will have all your essentials or you can buy online. I will bring 4 or 5 fly rods and give some quick casting lessons. These fish are not pushovers and casting a fly rod for your first time will make it difficult to catch fish, but kids with spinning gear may hook a few. The cutthroats should be handled and released immediately. You're welcome to keep brook trout if you'd like, but responsible harvest is the key. Don't take it if you won't eat it. We'll see pikas, yellow-bellied marmots and some alpine birds. Hopefully, with all the rain we've had this year the wildflowers will still be blooming. This is a great opportunity for family photos.

At 100s in the Hills we Stay the Trail. http://www.staythetrail.org/ Please stay on all designated roads and trails. It takes years for areas to regenerate at these altitudes so please no digging up of wildflowers or driving into them for a photo. The general rule of thumb is not to pick them, however if your children want to clip one off and save it in a book, it's a fine keepsake and I say go right ahead. My kids have the National Audubon Society Guide to the Rocky Mountains and I allow them to press flowers in the pages with their descriptions if they can locate them. You can buy books dedicated to Colorado wildflowers in town or online. We'll be near the end of the growing season, so clipping a flower will not have a huge impact. It's good practice to leave as many as possible for others to enjoy, so let's be cognizant of that.

I've also received a few emails asking about the "best trails" and that's hard to answer. Every trail is unique. Poughkeepsie is the most technical trail. The Wall will challenge you. There are large rocks throughout the trail and you may get hung up, smack a bumper or rub a slider.

Black Bear is the pinnacle of Colorado shelf roads. The ledged of the trail is bigger than the trail itself. It's not technical, but it is dangerous. Your trail leader will spot you through The Steps and around the switchbacks. It usually takes a minimum of a 5-point turn to get around the tightest ones. If your passengers get too nervous, have them get out. You should be able to concentrate on what you're doing and it doesn't help when your wife/husband/kids are screaming at you to be careful. Once you do this trail once, most of the fear is gone. It's not hard, but it is intimidating the first time. Unless you have a genuine fear of exposure or heights, I would say this is the trail not to miss because it's so famous. You'll want the shot of your vehicle with Telluride in the distance as you start down the steps.

Last Dollar Road is our family favorite for the area. It's where we take our Christmas card photo every October. It's not much more than a dirt road with a section of hill where you'll use 4lo just for the gearing. The views are phenomenal and you'll pass through a few residential areas that will make you stop and buy a lotto ticket on the way back to town. (Pick the big $$ ones because a few million isn't gonna buy you much ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom