Trip to Moab and Ouray in the 100. Suggestions on places to go? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like the title states I will be heading down to Moab UT for a week then Ouray CO area for another week with the wife, 4yr old and dog. We have been to Moab before but never Ouray and just thought it would be fun to post here to get suggestions! Not looking for anything crazy just family fun, truck is on 33's with a winch. Some ghost towns/mines would be cool to explore. Always wanted to do Imogene and Black Bear Passes but other than that open to suggestions!

Picture of the 100 from the other weekend to keep it relevant.

Kachess.jpg

Ouray is full of cool places to go. It'll be a bit crowded there this time of year. Ophir Pass is fun. That's south of town. Go north and at Ridgeway turn west on 62, not far after the scenic turnout (2.5-ish miles) you'll come to a dirt road that heads south (left turn). That's Last Dollar Road. It'll take you down to Telluride, very near the airport. Engineer Pass. Seriously... there's so much to see and do around Ouray. You can also go down to Silverton and ride up to the old mines. That will get you on some mountain trails. A good trail guide for the area will simplify things. They trails are usually rated, with mileage, etc

PS - all of what I'm suggesting is wife and kid friendly.

A bunch of us will be in Silverton the last week of July. You’re welcome to join the convoy if the timing is right. I also plan on doing Rimrocker trail (Moab-Montrose) early that week.

The books by this guy are pretty good. It use to be that he had three separate ones for Colorado depending on where you want to play, but I only see one now. He has one specifically for Moab. Do a trail and see what you think of his ratings and how they fit your expectations, then go from there. I am assuming that the newer versions are like the older ones, and he rates all the trails together from easiest to hardest. You can move up and down that scale once you do a couple and see what you're comfortable with.

Expect the Alpine loop to be like driving in 5:00 city traffic in the summer, especially on the weekend. Be aware of Altitude problems in Colorado. I've encountered people with difficulty breathing and anxiety on the roads up high due to them driving from low to 11,000 feet with no time spent acclimating. Sure signs of low oxygen saturation. One poor soul threaten to push me off the road because he decided I was in his way. I was going up, he was coming down. Another guy from work told me about how he drove up high with no time acclimatizing and very out of the ordinary got in a fight with his wife for no reason, then canceled the trip. Once he got lower, he came back to his right mind and realized what happened.

Amazon product ASIN 1934838268

Ouray is full of cool places to go. It'll be a bit crowded there this time of year. Ophir Pass is fun. That's south of town. Go north and at Ridgeway turn west on 62, not far after the scenic turnout (2.5-ish miles) you'll come to a dirt road that heads south (left turn). That's Last Dollar Road. It'll take you down to Telluride, very near the airport. Engineer Pass. Seriously... there's so much to see and do around Ouray. You can also go down to Silverton and ride up to the old mines. That will get you on some mountain trails. A good trail guide for the area will simplify things. They trails are usually rated, with mileage, etc

PS - all of what I'm suggesting is wife and kid friendly.
Would you rather stay on the Ouray side or Telluride side? Im not sure which would be better for access to some of the 4wd roads in the area.

A bunch of us will be in Silverton the last week of July. You’re welcome to join the convoy if the timing is right. I also plan on doing Rimrocker trail (Moab-Montrose) early that week.
We have not set a solid date just yet but im thinking we will be in Moab 2nd week in July and Ouray area 3rd week of July. If we push it back a week I will shoot you a PM. I really do not know anyone else into off roading literally all of our excursions are solo. Might be nice to meet some others! lol

The books by this guy are pretty good. It use to be that he had three separate ones for Colorado depending on where you want to play, but I only see one now. He has one specifically for Moab. Do a trail and see what you think of his ratings and how they fit your expectations, then go from there. I am assuming that the newer versions are like the older ones, and he rates all the trails together from easiest to hardest. You can move up and down that scale once you do a couple and see what you're comfortable with.

Expect the Alpine loop to be like driving in 5:00 city traffic in the summer, especially on the weekend. Be aware of Altitude problems in Colorado. I've encountered people with difficulty breathing and anxiety on the roads up high due to them driving from low to 11,000 feet with no time spent acclimating. Sure signs of low oxygen saturation. One poor soul threaten to push me off the road because he decided I was in his way. I was going up, he was coming down. Another guy from work told me about how he drove up high with no time acclimatizing and very out of the ordinary got in a fight with his wife for no reason, then canceled the trip. Once he got lower, he came back to his right mind and realized what happened.

Amazon product ASIN 1934838268
Thank you I didnt know he had a book for Colorado. I have the book for Moab and it was great. Going to go ahead and order that 👍

Also we have not decided on exactly where we are staying yet. Going to be doing Air B&B likely due to my son. Would I be better to be up by Montrose to access Telluride and Ouray? I have seen stuff over by Telluride but seems like a drive to stuff over by Ouray. Im unfamiliar with the area so dont want to book a place then be regretting the location :confused:

Is that the El Hombre I know from BiBe Chat?

Either way, the book he recommended is the one that I have (mine might be a little older) and it's great. Especially if it's your first time in the area. Honestly, both places are going to be busy. Telluride is a little more upscale. I've stayed at the Box Canyon Lodge in Ouray quite a few times but it was always in the off season. I liked it. It's rustic and there are hot springs behind the lodge to enjoy. Of the two locations I prefer Ouray just from accessibility. A lot of trails that are accessed from Highway 350 (Million Dollar Highway) headed south to Ironton and Silver City have signs that tell you where to go. Pull up the area on Google Earth and zoom in tight. The Alpine Loop Trail, Engineer Pass is on that trail, Hayden is further south along with the Ironton Townsite, which is cool to visit. All are all marked on Google Earth.

When are you going? Not a lot of trails up high are open yet but might be when you're here..
they are still plowing up really high.

Last edited:
We get into Ouray on 7/14 so still have a couple weeks. Im really hoping that things will be open by that time. We couldnt really push any further back than that.
I'll be down that way around the same time.
A lot of the trails are open. Black Bear may not be.
Current list of open trails as of a week or so ago.

Animas Forks - Open
Yankee Boy - Open
Cinnamon Pass - Open
Engineer - Open to the top, lake city side
Ophir - Open to top on San Juan County Side
other plowing operations are underway; watch for updates.

Just reading this.

Where did you end up going?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom