Builds 1987 BJ73 Build up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.proline4wdequip.com
A few weeks ago we bought this 1987 Toyota BJ73 for the shop, this cruiser was built in Spain and it came with a 3.4 3B diesel engine ( non turbo ), H55 5 speed manual transmission and Toyota LC 9.5 axles, the rear is a full float. It has a removable FRP top and the electrical sytem is 24 volts.
This was when we received it.
IMG_8130.JPG

It came with Super swamper Q78 R16 tires ( 35.5x9.5R16 ) in 16" steel split wheels, also came with the snorkel.
The next day, we began to disassemble the land cruiser to work in the roll cage
IMG_8238.JPG
IMG_8245.JPG

IMG_8313.JPG
IMG_8367.JPG

Welcome to the Mudness! Must be something in the water over there in Espana - the NA BJs looking for homes in the New World.

My 1985 shares all of the key components with yours.

Enjoy the ride...

Looks great more close up of inside

Great build! Amazing paint work! Love to see such an extensive and well done job! I think you have a Portuguese spec, not Spanish, truck. The removable door tops, windshield blocks on the hood and the seat material are all Portuguese spec. You should also check to make sure it's 24v, not 12v. Portugues spec trucks have two batteries and are 12v, not 24v. The batteries are wired in parallel to assist with starting. I can't image the previous owner converter the whole truck to 24v to suit the 3B engine, easier to convert engine to 12v.

Chrisspaulding thanks, the toyota is supposed to be Spanish, at least that what's the seller told us, it is a 24v, we learned the hard way after the headlights bulb burn out since we change them for 12v bulb :bang:, the batteries are connected in series. Maybe you can help me with something, we want to change the stereo but we are not sure what to do since the system is 24v

Sounds like a Spanish truck. Funny, this morning I was thinking it could be a 3B Spanish truck with doors and interior from a VM truck...
For the radio, you want a 24v to 12v converter. That should do the trick.
Keep the pictures coming!

After we finish with the paint it was time to mount the new wheels. That took some work since the original wheels that came with the Bj73 were steel split wheel, not everyone wants or know how to dismount the tires from this. So it took more than 4 trips to different tires shop to get it done, also the big swampers didn't help.
IMG_8465_zpse8a09f38.jpg
IMG_8464_zpsd17fe5c8.jpg

IMG_8466_zps83210f27.jpg

Now time for the new wheels
IMG_8467_zpsadf1975c.jpg

What are your plans for them old dangerous split rims? I will help you properly dispose of them!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom