Refreshing an Old Y-frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me preface this by stating that I'm a roadie, but I recently got a wild hair to buy an old Gary Fisher Joshua X1, mostly out of nostalgia - my parents bought me one while in college and it only got off the pavement a handful if times, but I loved that bike.

Back to the present time...my new horse just arrived and it needs a bit of work. The front and rear shocks feel a bit too spongy. It's been a while, but I don't remember my ride being that soft in the past...My body isn't used to riding this type of bike, but it just doesn't feel right - I'm assuming the shocks are old and shot.

The primary reason for this post is: What shocks would be best to replace these old worn out hogs with? It will probably only be used on light trails, nothing too extreme, but I want it to ride well. I just have been out if the mountain biking arena for too long and everything seems foreign to me now. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Might want to try over at MTBR and see what those guys can recommend. Really it would be hard with all the new technology out to really get much benefit from the bike, but that doesnt mean it can't be done!
You might talk to someone at a company like PUSH where they rebuild shocks and see if they can rebuild what you have.

Is that an old Fox Alps on the rear and a Rock Shox Indy on the front?

I believe so

image-2351306255.jpg

image-1432540587.jpg

image-2351306255.jpg

image-1432540587.jpg

Rear shock is a coil over, Rock Shox also. Prolly feels sloppy and soft to you coming from road. Can you post a pick of the top of the fork where the stem mounts with a tape or ruler to see the steer size?

When refreshing a Y frame, I would first take note of the age and condition of all moving components. Then procure a large, durable garbage sack, throw everything in, then heave it in a large dumpster.

Seriously, for light trail work, Y frames are probably the most inefficient way to get around the trails. But, nostalgia prevails here, so....

Rear shock is like tag3 said. Just a coil over, so unless you can find a firmer spring, I would leave it alone. My neighbor with a Trek counterpart filled his (air shock) with some sort of epoxy to make it a hard tail. Maybe if it's too soft for your liking, you can get a steel rod in there. The front fork, the elastomers are probably long gone. You can order new ones here:

http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/...shox-indy-elastomer-refresh-kit-97-xc-sl.html

But you have to ask yourself if putting all this time and money into it is worth it. I would rather get an old school rigid MTB (Like a Trek 800, Spec Rockhopper, etc.), put some fat tires on it and just enjoy riding. I have a 93 Scott hardtail myself, that I replaced the Indy C fork with a rigid steel fork. I also replaced the old, hardened brake pads with some Kool Stops. Rides great. Good luck with the rebuild.

Not much you can do about it. Y-bikes were a poor design. They are spongy and bouncy bikes.

You could buy a newer fork but may have a hard time finding one that has an older style axle to crown length. Newer forks are longer in general which will affect the geometry of the bike poorly. Plus, any replacement fork will cost more than that bike is worth if that matters to you.

The rear shock: Y-bikes are bouncy by design. Can't avoid it. When this bike was made, air shocks were not yet the standard. It was not cost effective to equip most bikes with an air shock. Also at the time, coil shocks with pretty red springs were a selling point. Unfortunately for bikes like yours they just made a bad bike worse (no offense). They had no way to control "pedal bob" but they made the rear suspension feel smooth and active when you sat on it in the store. If you really wanted to fix it, I would search the internet for an old FOX Alps 4 or 5 rear shock with the correct eye to eye length and the same stroke as your coil shock. You would also need the correct d.u. bushings and spacers/mounting bolts.

I would suggest that instead of putting any time energy or money into that bike you try to find a deal on a inexpensive but modern hard tail. Perhaps consider one with 29" wheels which will have modern geometry, roll super smooth over obstacles and be perfect for light trail riding.

Old bikes are cool too though. Good luck.

Yeah, there is no doubt that this thing is a dinosaur. I think that I'm just going to bounce around on it when I take the dogs out and use it to show my little one how to do maintenance, change tires, etc. The bike did give me a bit of the mountain biking bug, so I'm already shopping around for a new stead to add to the stable. Thanks for all of the thoughts and opinions.

If it has been a while since you have ridden (or never have really ridden) look at 29ers and 27.5" bikes. Depending on how much you want to spend there are some really good deals out there on exceptional bikes. I built my 29er steel hardtail myself and absolutely love my bike. At the beginning of every year I always think, I am going to look at a full suspension 29er this year, and then I get a few rides in on my bike and think Nah not gonna replace this bad boy.

phsycle said:
I would rather get an old school rigid MTB (Like a Trek 800, Spec Rockhopper, etc.), put some fat tires on it and just enjoy riding. I have a 93 Scott hardtail myself, that I replaced the Indy C fork with a rigid steel fork. I also replaced the old, hardened brake pads with some Kool Stops. Rides great. Good luck with the rebuild.

Yeah man. Ditch the shocks!! I had a rockhppper and still have my mid-90s diamond back that for several years i used for daily commuting and also bomb the rocky trails every weekend. Even went touring a couple times. Never saw the need for shocks.

Sorry bro!!! Didn't know what a y frame was, that it is all about shocks, front and rear. Wouldn't make sense to convert the front then still have rear. Good luck keeping nostalgia on the road!

I went to Turkey Mountain and pounded the Hell out of it today and it was surprisingly better than I had anticipated on the downhill parts, but this thing is a heavy pig. I did have a few close calls where I landed hard and the rear shock rebounded and nearly bounced me out if the saddle into an endo. The climbs sucked gigantic rhinoceros balls as the rear would bounce or compress causing me to lose all momentum.

I'm a bit sore, but overall, I had a blast getting out and riding dirty, but I'm going kick nostalgia right square in the balls and look for another ride. I think that I'm hooked in trail riding now and it's probably best to leave the old days behind in this case...

I went to Turkey Mountain and pounded the Hell out of it today and it was surprisingly better than I had anticipated on the downhill parts, but this thing is a heavy pig. I did have a few close calls where I landed hard and the rear shock rebounded and nearly bounced me out if the saddle into an endo. The climbs sucked gigantic rhinoceros balls as the rear would bounce or compress causing me to lose all momentum.

I'm a bit sore, but overall, I had a blast getting out and riding dirty, but I'm going kick nostalgia right square in the balls and look for another ride. I think that I'm hooked in trail riding now and it's probably best to leave the old days behind in this case...

Good call!

Now you will just have to make the decision to go full suspension (again) or going with a newer hardtail. Steel is very compliant for a hardtail at the sacrifice of weight.

^^ Looks like a pic from the top of Red Canyon - if so, great trail.

So what's the appeal of the fat tires?

I've spent too many years on my roadie to keep up w/ the MTB world.

Fat tires = some added suspension?

Don't know if it is a fad but they work great on sand and snow, from what I hear.

...the rear shock rebounded and nearly bounced me out if the saddle into an endo. The climbs sucked gigantic rhinoceros balls as the rear would bounce or compress causing me to lose all momentum.

That just means your rear shock is bad, don't let it turn you away from a new full suspension bike.

Don't know if it is a fad but they work great on sand and snow, from what I hear.

That's what I was thinking too - flotation.

I would echo what some previous posters said: Before you spend too much money, look into getting a good used 29er hardtail (Craigslist is full of them). If you still want to refurb your old Y-frame, check out www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com in Asheville, NC. Great bunch of guys, extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom