Steering gear box seal kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For real? Impressive. I’ll be pretty impressed! Good luck.
Maybe they're sending me one of those gag gifts where a huge 30' long snake jumps out. I would only be a little disappointed.

Thanks Beno,

I’ll have a early kit here in the US soon for sale :rofl:
Might be interested in a second one. I'm rebuilding a spare box with the kit I have en route, but it might be good to rebuild the box I'm taking off the truck and keep it on the shelf... Give ya $20 for it!

If you send your gearbox off to Redhead is it basically just a reseal or do they replace other parts? If just a reseal I may just give 04445-60030 a go myself on my 88 for $75.

Curious if anyone knows answer else I'll email them.

I think I tried to order the Amayama one a while back (04445-60020) and they came back to say they couldn't complete the order. What is the next best option? Order something from RockAuto and then get the missing or incorrect seals from the dealer? I think Cruiser Outfitters has a kit, but it's $192.50 which seems out of line. I think TerrainTamer has a kit too, anyone with experience with that one?

I think I tried to order the Amayama one a while back (04445-60020) and they came back to say they couldn't complete the order. What is the next best option? Order something from RockAuto and then get the missing or incorrect seals from the dealer? I think Cruiser Outfitters has a kit, but it's $192.50 which seems out of line. I think TerrainTamer has a kit too, anyone with experience with that one?
I posted above: I already have the Gates kit from Rock Auto and I have the OEM kit [hopefully] on the way from Amayama. I’ll compare and see if anything is missing from the Gates kit and check what individual parts might be available from Toyota. I’ll put that comparison in this thread so folks hopefully have a solution.

Yep, 44456-020 Discontinued. To get back on the road, I put the generic kit in a spare steering box and doubled up on the lower dust seal, putting one side facing up.
So far no leaks. I still want to do it right though.

I'll attempt to get the all the right parts for the original steering box and put it back in.

I'll purchase another brand kit, but really don't expect the enclosed parts to be any different.

The only wrong parts in the generic kit were the seals in the lower pitman shaft.

Steering  Box seals 1 em.jpg

This seal works well for the lower dust seal.
The metal ring, no big deal. The old one can be reused.
Just need to find the O ring and teflon seal.

steering box seals 2 em.jpg

I looked at various Toyota dealer sites, and the exploded diagrams only show the lower dust seal.
SOR's diagram does show all the parts, but shows them discontinued. I kinda doubt if I take the SOR diagram to the local dealer that they'll be able to help me

Steering Box seals 3.jpg

I checked McMaster Carr for similar teflon seals. None found in metric. It could be possible to use a spring loaded rubber seal to replace the O ring and teflon setup. The closest I found was a 40mm x 30mm. It might be a little to tight on the shaft though. The shaft measured 31.87mm.

The depth was 7mm. Original teflon depth was 5mm. The rubber seal would fit perfect under the snap ring without the 2mm steel ring removed.

steering box seals 4 em.jpg

Does anyone know the OEM part#'s for the o ring and teflon seal?

Further searches revealed that there are 40mm x 32mm seals available in both 5mm and 7mm depths of various qualities. Finding a good seal shouldn't be a problem. The lower dust seal seems to be getting somewhat scarce though.

Maybe? Mine just arrived for the early box and I put it up on the classifieds
Well that is fantastic, and encouraging. Thanks for correcting me. I have an order in with them now, so I'll post up whether it gets cancelled, or I actually receive the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom