Torque specs: frt/rear diff, trans case, tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi.
I'm looking to do some fluid change in my 97'.
Can someone give me the torque specs for the following drain/refill plug:
Front diff, Rear diff, Transfer case, and Transmission.

Thanks much.

lispeej: be very careful with the transmission pan drain plug; if you over-tighten the bolt you can easily strip the threads or spin the bung which is like a pressed-on washer/sleeve thingy inside the pan. If that happens you won't be able to get the drain bolt tight. Happened to my rig. Use the smallest/shortest wrench or socket handle you have when tightening that bolt and just get it snug using a new crush washer every time. The oil pan drain plug set-up is more substantial but still be careful not to gorilla it in with all your might; I use a midsize 3/8" drive socket wrench. The FSM lists all drain plug washers as non-reusable parts but the most critical one to never reuse IMO is the small crush washer for the transmission drain plug, it must be replaced every time the plug is removed IME to help prevent over-tightening and still get a good seal.

Last edited:
lispeej: be very careful with the transmission pan drain plug; if you over-tighten the bolt you can easily strip the threads or spin the bung which is like a pressed-on washer/sleeve thingy inside the pan. If that happens you won't be able to get the drain bolt tight. Happened to my rig. Use the smallest/shortest wrench or socket handle you have when tightening that bolt and just get it snug using a new crush washer every time. The oil pan drain plug set-up is more substantial but still be careful not to gorilla it in with all your might; I use a midsize 3/8" drive socket wrench. The FSM lists all drain plug washers as non-reusable parts but the most critical one to never reuse IMO is the small crush washer for the transmission drain plug, it must be replaced every time the plug is removed IME to help prevent over-tightening and still get a good seal.

Sounds good. I picked up all the washers already. Now....to the fun stuff.
Thanks.

I seek reliable information on the torque for the transfer case oil fill and drain plugs. There are different values even in this forum. In Haynes, I found: "Transfer case fill/drain plug - 37 Nm/27 ft-lbs". Strangely, while checking the repair manuals RM184E, RM172E, and RM315E I did not find the values at all - despite that the torques for transmission and diffs have been provided. In some Facebook videos, I found that there is even a difference between the fill plug (19 Nm) and the drain plug (29 Nm) which is strange. However always, especially for transfer case, even the smallest overtightening is not recommended due to the soft material (aluminum) from which it is done.
So, if anybody has reliable data (ideally with the picture of the source) I would be thankful.

Per the 1990 FSM……
Front diff drain and fill plug torque….36 ft/lbs or 49 NM.
Rear diff drain and fill plug torque……36 ft/lbs or 49 NM.

duece71 - THX but I need the transfer case fill and drain plugs torque, not diffs' :)

Ah, ok I have written down….
Fill plug…14 ft/lbs
Drain plug….22 ft/lbs
In some other threads on here some people have used 27 ft/lbs for both Fill and Drain.
I think the 22/14 came from a video on YT that I watched before changing the TC oil.

IMG_1010.png

IMG_1009.png

gentle hand tight, then 1/8 turn more, you'll know....

In this video

there are the same recommendations as you duece 71 gave:
Fill plug…14 ft/lbs
Drain plug….22 ft/lbs
That's what I'll do!

If you want to torque to a spec, why not just open the factory service manual (a.k.a. fsm) and look up the specs? It is posted here on mud, freely available and a good source of information from the manufacturer.

CharlieS, maybe I am stupid but I checked RM184E, RM172E, and RM315E and did not find these torques for the transfer case. Did I miss something or is there another FSM to check?

My apologies if they're not in the FSM.

I just do what was suggested in post #2 of this thread.

Fill and drain plugs aren't torque critical - just tighten them.

I have the FSM from 1990 and it doesn’t have them either. Quite mysterious. I wonder where 2nd Gear low got the numbers? That was the video I saw on YT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom