Any guess as to how many FJ80's and how many FZJ80's remain on the road in the US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is being sold as a rare classic locally.
I agree with the claim of "very few left".
He could also make a claim for their OFF ROAD capabilities, that's where I saw most of them, usually 3 or all 4 wheels off the side of the road.

I guess everything becomes classicView attachment 1001855 at some point, but your Land Cruiser is classic before it's time.
Driving around in a mint original minivan would definitely get more attention than a mint 80. You may get a laugh or a thumbs up but I think it would be cool.

After 12 years, countless wheeling trips to the Rubicon, Dusy, southern Utah, Death Valley and the rock-tree-mud of the east coast, mine still plugs along.

And I have PUNISHED her.... (Those who have seen me wheel or wheeled with me know what I mean).

I'm never getting rid of her. Ever.

And she has never ever left me stranded.... Well except when I rolled her but that was user error.

Onward mighty 80.

image.jpg

On a FJ55 there were. The back seat flipped up and that is where the hand crank, and tools for the jacks were stored. *not my photo.

FJ55_1973_tools.jpg

I don't have any pics to prove it, but, yes, you did get tools under the seat as illustrated with the factory fresh FJ55, as well as in the kit (with the jack?? it's been awhile).

Whatever liner is on the floor there is definitely not factory, although I like it.

I have a Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel)which only about 14,000 were sold. Value keeps going down. I don't see FJ80's doing any different.
I HAD a jeep Liberty CRD.. I mistakenly thought it would be good for 250,000 miles and more. At 96,000 miles the high pressure fuel pump failed. Why? Chrysler engineering decided to convert to the CRD Motori engine on the cheap. The fuel delivery system was plagued with constant air bubbles, the high pressure pump was doing all the work, and because of a bit of air in the system was never properly lubed, Hence, premature failure. The pump failure also took out the entire fuel rail with it. The dealer cut me a break on labor, 50% off, but still ended up costing over 4 grand to get it back on the road so I could sell it immediately... The Liberty CRD was a great idea, too bad Chrysler engineering failed... My point? I have a 450, 5,000 units in 96, 9,000 units in 97. I have $14,508 tied up in mine to date and just last week was offered 16 for it.. Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 7.16.19 AM.jpg The 80 series is the best engineered vehicle since the model-T. That Liberty is junk.

I HAD a jeep Liberty CRD.. I mistakenly thought it would be good for 250,000 miles and more. At 96,000 miles the high pressure fuel pump failed. Why? Chrysler engineering decided to convert to the CRD Motori engine on the cheap. The fuel delivery system was plagued with constant air bubbles, the high pressure pump was doing all the work, and because of a bit of air in the system was never properly lubed, Hence, premature failure. The pump failure also took out the entire fuel rail with it. The dealer cut me a break on labor, 50% off, but still ended up costing over 4 grand to get it back on the road so I could sell it immediately... The Liberty CRD was a great idea, too bad Chrysler engineering failed... My point? I have a 450, 5,000 units in 96, 9,000 units in 97. I have $14,508 tied up in mine to date and just last week was offered 16 for it.. View attachment 1002210 The 80 series is the best engineered vehicle since the model-T. That Liberty is junk.
I'm to far in with mods to get out of the CRD although I haven't had any issues yet. Odds are it will go to one of my step sons for their first car.

No that's not a stock truck is one that TLC4X4 has worked their magic on so the liner and upholstery are not stock but does show the factory under at tools, which are kind of funny because it has a LS swap so the engine crank wouldn't work. But anyways.

I don't have any pics to prove it, but, yes, you did get tools under the seat as illustrated with the factory fresh FJ55, as well as in the kit (with the jack?? it's been awhile).

Whatever liner is on the floor there is definitely not factory, although I like it.

...it has a LS swap so the engine crank wouldn't work. But anyways.

Yeah, I was never too sure about that engine crank. I never did try it while the 2F was in it -- and as you say, with a V-8, it's rather superfluous. I always thought the crank was as likely to bend as start the 2F. Makes me wonder if anyone has ever started a "I started my Pig with the hand crank" thread over in the Pig forum?

Yeah, I was never too sure about that engine crank. I never did try it while the 2F was in it -- and as you say, with a V-8, it's rather superfluous. I always thought the crank was as likely to bend as start the 2F. Makes me wonder if anyone has ever started a "I started my Pig with the hand crank" thread over in the Pig forum?
I did it with the 1F it was no easy task. I just wanted to try it since it was there.

Yup, me too. It did take some work. Full choke and a couple of throttle pumps to get some raw fuel into it. I have started a bunch of farm tractors that way. Funny about the crank still there after the v8 install. I sold mine with the crank still there 15? years after the conversion. For the life of me I can't remember if that crank also fit the bottle jack?!?! John

SNIP... For the life of me I can't remember if that crank also fit the bottle jack?!?! John

IIRC, there was a separate crank handle and rod used with the bottle jack.

BTW, I'm a bit nostalgic about the tools and jack, as I had them around for years after the Pig was gone. In fact, I remember pitching the jack as too rusted to be useful sometime after buying the 80.

Valuable is Defined by Who is Buying and How many are Available.

Harley Davidson comes to Mind as an Example.
In the 90s and early 2000 they were Gold. Could not even get one.
The Baby Boomers drove the Market and they getting too old to Ride Comfortably - Big Harleys are Cheap Now.

Same will Happen with Classic Muscle Cars - Once the Baby Boomers are gone.
The Millennials aren't interested in even a 300hp Muscle Car when you can get a Camry that is Faster, but way less Cool.

I remember in the 90s you would get a FJ40 for Next to Nuthin ($3K was not unheard of). Now even a decent runner is 4X That.
They are not Practical and most I see at Trail Rides get Trailer-ed in because they don't drive them on the Highways at 70.

The 80 is a Thirsty Snail, it still Highway Capable (if you keep your foot in it Full time).
I never see the FJ80 Surpassing the FZJ80 as anyone that drives one will Quickly Come to appreciate the 45 Extra Horse. The 3FE is Less Practical.

With V8 Cruisers Now Gone the 100s and 200s are going to be the next Hot Item.

I never see the FJ80 Surpassing the FZJ80 as anyone that drives one will Quickly Come to appreciate the 45 Extra Horse.

Hey now, 57 horsepower. Don't be stingy. :hillbilly:

While we're reviving this thread, I'll enter my recent [sad sort of] data point that proves why you want to buy the 80 and NOT the minivan or Liberty CRD. Bought the 80 for $7200 in the middle of cash for clunkers. Wrecked it last October after nearly a decade and a half and ~50,000 miles of reliable ownership and insurance gave near about $14,000 to replace it. Found the current 1996 LX 450 for $15,000, which included ARB with Warn 10k, Bowfin Cruisers rack and step sliders, 2" quality lift (Delta, Icon, Eimkeith parts) and spent its life mostly in the dry Southwest. It did have 320,000+ miles on it vs the 205,000 of the 80, but also had a fresh Toyota motor with headers (just 35,000 miles on it since 2015 install). Pretty sure I could not have done any better with where I put that money than an 80 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom