HD automotive turbo kit (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Couldn't tell from the thread, but did you buy the HD automotive or chasing adventure kit?
Like the thread tilts says HD automotive. Chasing adventure is selling the HD kit, at least that’s what it looks like via the website. Maybe reach out to chasing and see what they say?

I have a completely rebuild motor with ARP head studs, new pistons, bearings and pretty much everything is new in the engine bay. I will only be boosting 6-8psi so I will be lucky to gain 100hp Toyota provided that with their factory super charger. Many people running turbos over here on stock drivetrain with zero issues but time will tell.
6-8 psi on an 80 is a game changer. Finished building my own J pipe/turbo setup back in December and it is fantastic. 97 lx450 with 7-9lbs of boost, only other thing I did was upgrade the fuel pump to a higher flowing kyosan unit and swapped the maf to match a larger inlet tube. Working on an airbox to be able to hook up to the snorkel while using an air filter from a 100 series. My fully built LX on 35's w/ factory 4:10 gears loaded up for a week of camping will outrun my wife's bone stock 93'. Mountain passes that used to be a ~55 are now a 70-75 easily and could do more if I wanted to push it. If I was doing it again I'd probably choose an internally gated turbo to make life much easier

PXL_20221022_190138895.jpg

PXL_20221015_230055024.jpg

PXL_20221202_164000419.jpg

PXL_20221203_223525153.jpg

PXL_20221202_224736199.jpg

6-8 psi on an 80 is a game changer. Finished building my own J pipe/turbo setup back in December and it is fantastic. 97 lx450 with 7-9lbs of boost, only other thing I did was upgrade the fuel pump to a higher flowing kyosan unit and swapped the maf to match a larger inlet tube. Working on an airbox to be able to hook up to the snorkel while using an air filter from a 100 series. My fully built LX on 35's w/ factory 4:10 gears loaded up for a week of camping will outrun my wife's bone stock 93'. Mountain passes that used to be a ~55 are now a 70-75 easily and could do more if I wanted to push it. If I was doing it again I'd probably choose an internally gated turbo to make life much easier

Very cool this deserves it's own build thread! Mind filling us in on what MAF you used that works with the stock ECU?

View attachment 3356823
What is the part number for that pump?

View attachment 3356818

View attachment 3356819

View attachment 3356821

View attachment 3356822

View attachment 3356823
This is awesome. Do you have a link or source for the exhaust manifold flanges?

that’s pretty good power. 324 Horsepower
But that is HP at high rev means far away from starting to pull. What is needed when going up-hill is pulling force at low revs - imagine your vehicle is loaded and you want to climb a 30% ramp… then high torque at low rev starting close to idle (1000rpm) is what you want.

The 242kW appears at approx. 130kph - quite high rev - but below 70kph it is only 50kW. A good torque characteristic has more a plateau (see below) and not a peak. Assuming here that at lower vehicle speed the power will not go above 50kW. And seen here pulling force (tractive effort) is half of the peak value, …3000N is approx. 185Nm (second gear).

The stock 1FZ-FE puts out approx. 100kW/350Nm at a stage of 1000 revs which is around 12kph in first gear.

ExpeditionLandCruiserFZJ80engine (brian894x4.com)

I understand it like the turbo restricts power at the lower speed band. Never driven a turboed one but this is what the figures tell me.

1687729539511.png

Of course we have not discussed efficiency because the kW curve from the FB member’s diagramme was most probably the rear axle measurement and not the crank shaft power like above.

Means that an efficiency loss of roughly 50% can most likely not be caused by the torque converter or any parasitic accessory etc. … it might be due to the turbo!

The following diagramme is how it should be. Much higher torque at low revs and a distinct torque plateau.
1687729520650.png

Thanks for all the input boys but let’s keep this thread on track! It’s for the HD kit so people can get info specifically to this companies set up. If you wanna post up your builds and other awesome work you have done please post somewhere else.

What intercooler are you planning to run with the setup?
No intercooler initially, after getting some miles and data. I will reconsider if I’m having any issues. Hopefully I can avoid one I don’t wanna cut holes in my core support or have to relocate my transmission cooler. Plenty of guys running low boost with no intercooler and having zero issues.

No intercooler initially, after getting some miles and data. I will reconsider if I’m having any issues. Hopefully I can avoid one I don’t wanna cut holes in my core support or have to relocate my transmission cooler. Plenty of guys running low boost with no intercooler and having zero issues.
Ya that was my thought initially. They're saying it's required I'm guessing to sell it to you

Ya that was my thought initially. They're saying it's required I'm guessing to sell it to you
If I do run a intercooler it will be much cheaper to buy one here than ship one over from Australia which Levi at HD agreed with. If they sold a complete piping kit that would be a different story.

If I do run a intercooler it will be much cheaper to buy one here than ship one over from Australia which Levi at HD agreed with. If they sold a complete piping kit that would be a different story.
Ya for sure.

You are correct, no intercooler will be required if your less than 8-10 psi.

If you wanted an intercooler it should be an air to water type for an off-road machine.

I was just looking at their J pipe today. It’s reasonably priced and looks to be of decent quality. 🤔

You are correct, no intercooler will be required if your less than 8-10 psi.

If you wanted an intercooler it should be an air to water type for an off-road machine.

I was just looking at their J pipe today. It’s reasonably priced and looks to be of decent quality. 🤔
Please elaborate on the 8-10 psi no intercooler comment. This thread is me learning and will hopefully help educate members down the road. I’m going to have there J PIPE ceramic gel coated to keep it looking good.

A/W IC FTW. Less piping(and lag). A bit more complex but also more efficient.

Agreed make me a kit and my money is yours!
I'm running a kit from frozen boost, it works ok, I'd like to get my hands on a real good heat exchanger like a bell or garrett but I don't think I can justify the price at the level I'm at, my iat's rarely get into the 120s/130s with pre intercooler temps at 250ish unless I'm deep into the boost 15-18 psi for prolonged periods, iats quickly come down after. Normally it's around 80/90f and that is sucking in hot engine bay air.

I'm running a kit from frozen boost, it works ok, I'd like to get my hands on a real good heat exchanger like a bell or garrett but I don't think I can justify the price at the level I'm at, my iat's rarely get into the 120s/130s with pre intercooler temps at 250ish unless I'm deep into the boost 15-18 psi for prolonged periods, iats quickly come down after. Normally it's around 80/90f and that is sucking in hot engine bay air.
You planning on adding a snorkel? I'd be curious to see your iat's with that addition.

You planning on adding a snorkel? I'd be curious to see your iat's with that addition.
i might go that route, i'm not huge on the look so i think if anything i will make an "air box" so the filter is sucking from the fender area, and if that doesn't get good results i may go the stainless tube route vs plastic snorkle. But even as it sits right now, id say the iat's are in check for the ambient air temps i'm currently seeing in the 60's-mid 80s given the boost pressures i'm running.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom