The Official 1HD-T/FT Fuel Pump Mod Tuning Thread (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can probably measure my stock fuel pin tonight for you, you're looking for tip-to-tip length?
That'd be cool, thanks man. Tip to tip and maybe tip to underside of where the diaphragm sits?

That'd be cool, thanks man. Tip to tip and maybe tip to underside of where the diaphragm sits?

Total length = 59.8mm
Tip to underside = 51mm

Does anyone have a line on the oem pins? Obviously the one generously given to me from Karter isn't quite the right length. It's incredibly laggy off the get go, even with the top adjustment screw/lobe at its max. This would make sense if the pin is a bit too short.

Other than that, the rest of the power curve is quite good now. I moved it onto one of the oem surfaces (off the custom ground side) and re-adjusted the main fuel screw.

What a difference. Much, much better... Much more even power through the band. On the custom ground side it was overfueling itself in higher boost levels, making the egts raise high and fast. Then to compensate for that the main screw was turned way down... Which of course make it gutless when it wasn't on high boost.

Can you not shim it out from the diaphram with washers to make up for the shorter length and get rid of the off-boost laggy response?

how you stop over fueling is you can put a spacer ring around the fuel pin so it limits its overall travel.

how you stop over fueling is you can put a spacer ring around the fuel pin so it limits its overall travel.

Any pics of what you're talking about here? This would be something that goes around the circumference of the pin to limit travel down into the pump housing, rather than a washer between the diaphragm and seat of the threaded section of the pin, as that would move the pin further into its travel as a starting point?

Any pics of what you're talking about here? This would be something that goes around the circumference of the pin to limit travel down into the pump housing, rather than a washer between the diaphragm and seat of the threaded section of the pin, as that would move the pin further into its travel as a starting point?
Yes. Mine had said spacers (a thin one and a thicker one) on my aftermarket aneroid rod.

Ive wondered about the shims before.

My pump had the shims, also one thick, one thin. I dont know the history of my pump before I owned it, but the pin was not ground or anything.

It seems to me if the shims are on there, it will stop you from hitting cutoff, but I would think it would change the fueling curve in relation to boost? I am not going to get full range of the pin over the course of boost building.

Ie; if I set spring tension to get max fuel at 15psi, the shims may be limiting movement by the time I hit 10psi, therefore I am dumping in to much fuel at lower boost levels.

?

Thanks again Ian for measuring the length of your... um... rod.

Does anyone else have a measurement? Let's compare rod sizes :hillbilly:
I too am without a factory fuel rod. Mine came with a mystery rod that I couldn't get a decent tune with. I ended up using a fuel rod/spring from a Mitsubishi 4D55T (1985-1987 Ford Ranger - 2.3l turbo diesel) and it seems to be working quite well. I will snap a shot of it accompanied by some measurements next time I have it out.

If you are worried about affecting your full boost fuelling with a shim, pop the pin out and see how deep into the boost section the fuel pin is traveling. If its going into the overboost section, a thin washer will help. Of its not getting to overboost then it shouldn't make much difference. We fiddled with shims on a friends pump, a normal flat washer drilled to 11mm worked well :) just make sure its clean of any swarf or sharp burrs before installing.

this is getting awkward, i'm just going to say that comparing rods is kinda weird...

I know this has been brought up before, but I'm trying to find a replacement aneroid pin for my 1hdt.

Most of the threads I find with a suggestion of where to buy a replacement pin are years old and I haven't had any luck.

Has any one had any luck with a pre-ground pin for a cummins?

Really keen to get a hold on one (in Australia) before I throw the new Gturbo Grunter Extreme in next week.

It's a pretty fresh engine - can't wait to install.

I know this has been brought up before, but I'm trying to find a replacement aneroid pin for my 1hdt.

Most of the threads I find with a suggestion of where to buy a replacement pin are years old and I haven't had any luck.

Has any one had any luck with a pre-ground pin for a cummins?

Really keen to get a hold on one (in Australia) before I throw the new Gturbo Grunter Extreme in next week.

It's a pretty fresh engine - can't wait to install.
Try Mick at ADS in Qld

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom