What diesel to avoid in Honduras? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Jade Bean

Figuring out life still.
SILVER Star
Threads
Below is my ad that I'm posting on Honduras forums for a truck. From MUD I'm asking what should I AVOID that may fall in line with my criteria?

Thank you! -Daniel Kent

AD:
Looking for a Toyota Hilux Diesel for my family. We move to HND hopefully in Jan. Looking to buy now.

Looking for:
-Toyota Hilux
-Prefer a 90's model or I'm open to a 2000+
-Solid front axle
-Standard Transmission
-4 door
-4x4
-A/C
-No rust
-Diesel
-Turbo or No turbo
-Color isn't super important, but prefer white

Need it for mountain travel and going to the capital every few months.
Thanks in advance! -Daniel

Our ministry page: Facebook.com/LivesForeverchanged
END AD...

Here's kinda what I pictured in my head.
image.jpeg

Any Hilux with a 3L should be fine,not the fastest or the most reliable but parts are everywhere and people know how to work on them.

You might want to consider an 80 series,the ride comfort is so much better,these old hilux's are backbreakers .

Joe

I need a truck to haul, so 80 is out. I'm looking at 2 Hiluxs right now.

2006 D4D IFS sadly. Waiting on price. 120k miles.
image.jpeg

2003 Also IFS, but manual hubs and center diff. However he wants around $17k. Don't know miles yet.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Eyeing this one.
image.jpeg

:eek: thanks brother

3L it's pretty slow but immortal .. add a turbo and you have a decent machine to work with .. surely it will all depends on how was the life of that engine / truck before you .. and you should be aware that Toyotas ( actually no other brand neither ) it's well care in latin america .. ( Cruiser and Hi Lux ) total work horses ..

3L it's pretty slow but immortal .. add a turbo and you have a decent machine to work with .. surely it will all depends on how was the life of that engine / truck before you .. and you should be aware that Toyotas ( actually no other brand neither ) it's well care in latin america .. ( Cruiser and Hi Lux ) total work horses ..

This is the guy to talk to about Cruiser South of the border !

Thanks! Part of the reason I like this one is it belonged to one group from dealership purchase and it's a larger nonprofit and it stands to reason they would take care of it.
Anyway the only big repair he claimed was a blown head gasket and a new head last year. It has 167,000 miles on it. 2001 2.8 non turbo. Asking $9,500.

Thanks! Part of the reason I like this one is it belonged to one group from dealership purchase and it's a larger nonprofit and it stands to reason they would take care of it.
Anyway the only big repair he claimed was a blown head gasket and a new head last year. It has 167,000 miles on it. 2001 2.8 non turbo. Asking $9,500.

Who did the head repair? Reputable shop, or backlane mechanic? I don't follow the 3L/5L stuff that closely, but I don't think it's common for them to overheat and crack heads like the turbo ones...might be an indicator that it has been worked very hard by someone who isn't "diesel savvy"?

Who did the head repair? Reputable shop, or backlane mechanic? I don't follow the 3L/5L stuff that closely, but I don't think it's common for them to overheat and crack heads like the turbo ones...might be an indicator that it has been worked very hard by someone who isn't "diesel savvy"?
I asked. However it's hard to find a perfectly maintained vehicle in CA. Most work is done shade tree.

Anyway the only big repair he claimed was a blown head gasket and a new head last year. It has 167,000 miles on it. 2001 2.8 non turbo.

No bueno ..

NA 3L / 5L are pretty stout .. never suffer from head gasket or temp issues .. so for them need a headgasket .. wonder what could happen.

What you need to look ( dunno if possible there ) it's from Hi Lux / Navara / Frontier owned by some of those guys that are into the car fashion / music and have 20" wheels on them ..

Waiting on some answers for the why...
The other fam got back to me with a great price of 12k for a '06 D4D turbo, 126k miles, dealership maintained. Think I'm going this route. Doing a video call Fri. for a preview first.
image.jpeg

The 3L is an incredible engine without a doubt and the Hilux trucks are a staple in Central America, known for their reliability.

Not sure what your budget is, but you can't go wrong with a HZJ75 Land Cruiser pickup. Those would meet all your requirements and the newer models also have the double cab option.

Good luck!

The 3L is an incredible engine without a doubt and the Hilux trucks are a staple in Central America, known for their reliability.

Not sure what your budget is, but you can't go wrong with a HZJ75 Land Cruiser pickup. Those would meet all your requirements and the newer models also have the double cab option.

Good luck!

Thanks! I would DIE for a HZJ75 Land Cruiser pickup, but sadly WAY out my budget. 15k is our top budget and I doubt I could touch one for less than 25k. Maybe someday if I'm a good boy. Lol!

You might have luck to found a cheap HZJ75 but .. all money you save on the original price, you likely will pay later in parts ..

Good choice. The 1kd-ftv is a great little engine but needs clean fuel due to being commonrail. Lots more power and torque compared to the 3L

The one in the pic is a 2.5td I think not the 3.0 1KD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom