J30 Expertise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.freewayoneentertainment.com
Posting here cause I'm figure there's more three-speed expertise here than in the 45 and/or 40 section.

My J30 has less than 600mi on it by me. It leaks, it makes some metal, but most of all - it whines. I run a 1981 small block Holden V8 in my 1970 FJ45 with a twin system and full mufflers dumped behind the cab and the whine is so great I can't hear the exhaust. And it's a great note! It's akin to the low range or reverse whine.

Catskinner reckons it could be a thrust washer. I think it's a bearing, but have nothing to base my opinion on.

Is there a common failure to the J30 that makes them whine?

I have two spares there, one of which is tight like a new one. The better one I plan to install, but would check common faults prior to installation. Be kinda dense to do the gearbox swap only to find the better spare is also cactus.

Thanks in advance.

~ Daniel

Does it do it in every gear? Sure it's not the transfer case?
No I'm not sure. I haven't spent any real time in 1st and 2nd to know, but will test this out today and report back.

Just went for a drive.

1st - there's that low range style rerrr sound, but no whine AFAIK.
2nd - whine.
3rd - whine.

I also coasted with my foot on the clutch and shifted between 2nd and 3rd and the whine was present the whole time. Thinking it might be something in whatever turns whilst the car is rolling regardless if you're in gear or not ie. a transfer shaft or gearbox shaft?

Our pre-j30 3 spd gearbox also whined. (It is very similar they say). We took it all apart and some bearings were bad. Replaced all the bearings and seals of the transfer case and gearbox and after that it spinned like a kitten. HTH.

Well @hdjtachtig given that kittens spin fairly well I'd say that was a good solution then!

Hey Mate,

Most common cause of whine is the transfercase idler gear bushings,they wear and cause the gear pitch to be off. Of course it could be a bearing, or worn gears too.

Thanks @whitey45! I'll see what I can find in the spare one.

Hey @whitey45 and anyone else at home, the noise only happens when you load the box up - both under acceleration and when you back off, but that sweet spot in between there's no whine. Does that rule anything out [or in]?

Terrain Tamer still have reco kits for these....and you can get syncro rings & 1st/Rev gears from Specter if you need them.
Rebuilding one of these is a noble undertaking Dan.

And who nobler than the fair 45 King of the South, @andrews520?

Terrain Tamer still have reco kits for these....and you can get syncro rings & 1st/Rev gears from Specter if you need them.
Rebuilding one of these is a noble undertaking Dan.

You can still get a lot of these parts from Toyota at a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom