Builds HJ61 Cruiser build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got the hood shocks on, been laying on the shelf for a while. Set it up so that it is 3-4 inches taller than stock while open.
Used nutserts for the m6 ball-bolts, since i didnt have bigger washers around. Solid so far, will maybe have to do the lower again if they bend.
P5260140copy.jpg

Still need more detailing in the engine bay, and a new hood insulator. will probably do something that can withstand a bit more water.
I am still searching for a oem shroud, and another missing piece, see what i mean?
Also got the rear diff breather tied into the transfer breather with a T, vented at that filter near the wiper motor.
Front diff is vented under the clutch booster, hose going into fender area. Good to have that sorted, with new fluid in both diffs.

Finished scraping the frame and wheel wells on passenger side, and got frame, wheel wells and slider painted. Feels so good!!
P5260129-copy.jpg

P5260130-copy.jpg

Tried out a 70 series side mirror on the drivers side, it is awsome! As we all know, shape of the mount is a bit different, but for now it stays on as a test, with the gasket. If im going that route, i'll have to get another one, and mold a gasket for it. See photo below.

Drivers side slider has been dry for a few days, so the anti slip tape went on. Good stuff from 3M!
Added it on the rear bumper too, will be sweet for RTT duties.
2016-05-23 20.26.52.jpg

Started fumbling with the 2LO mod, but after looking at the wiring diagram (witch btw is in retarded resolution) it seems i cant disconnect a pin at the dash switch, i have to undo the connector at the transfer case. I thought i could dig into the harness behind the dash switch, add a switch. Anyone got a better wiring diagram, i'd like to see the lettering clearer, also for other projects?
Anyone got another solution to the mod, than simply disconnecting the transfer LO position switch??

Skjermbilde-2016-05-26-20.35.jpg

Thanks, user name, your username is the coolest user name used!

Today we're swappin tires, so the 73 will get some copper, I'll get some corroded aluminum.
We're heading out with both rigs, driving 3h to Tromsø, there's a drag/car show on the air strip. The arrangement is basically a drag-show (is it called that?) And we're e a few 4x4's represented as well.

Popping the rtt on, will find a sweet spot for it tonight :)

Oh, what a trip! -Fist, did some final touches on both cruisers, getting rid of a few rattles and fixed my gear shifter bushings.

Lower bushing was almost gone, glad i did the swap now.
2016-05-27 14.00.01.jpg

upper, the seat bushing was ok, but i swapped both
2016-05-27 14.01.42.jpg

And while i had it open, i bolted in 4 zinkplated 30mm m6 bolts from underneath, because i hate fiddling with the short bolts that hold the body-rubber-carpet-rubber-shifter cover together. On with everything and shifting felt sooo smooth again!!
BTW, get a set of small sized hands to help you thread the bolts in from underneath!
P5270204.JPG

Finally we could hook up the tires, RTT on, fridge loaded and sun was shining!
P5280222.JPG

On our way to Tromsø, we're passing "the sleeping soldier"
P5280226.JPG

entering our small lineup at the car show, the 61 with the RTT got a lot of attention, many got surprised of the convenience and size.
This was mainly a high octane car show, hundreds of other lowriders. Just three cruisers, misc others.
P5280235.JPG

Not every day i have a Panamera under the tent.
P5280259.JPG

I kinda fancied this 51 chevy. All set up for drag!
P5280244.JPG

And a dragster on my antenna!
P5280268.JPG

After the show we barbequed with friends, but we decided to follow the narrow path and drive to the outskirts of the islands outside Tromsø to find a nice spot to camp in the midnight sun.
P5280275.JPG

Finally we got some miles down on the 73 to test it out, everything is silky smooth.
Crossing the bridge to Sommarøy, a beautiful scenery, been years since the last time i was here.
P5280288.JPG

Still heading north-west, towards the midnight sun.
P5280297.JPG

And we found the perfect spot!
P5290328.JPG

Just past midnight, we could sit and sip beer, watching this beautiful neverending sunset
P5290320.JPG

It was an epic night, and a great place to camp!
received_10154221495534911.jpeg

Panorama from Sunday morning.
P5290354.JPG

Artsy sunday morning
P5290371.JPG

The next morning we had begg and eacon as i call it, had no rush since there was 4 hours until the ferry would take us to the next island.
Im calling the ferry's tires all good.
received_10154221491034911.jpeg

A view from behind
received_10154221487729911.jpeg

A LJ73 in the 7x mirror
P5290385.JPG

Even had a good time waiting for the ferry, first best day of summer.
P5290389.JPG

Ferry slowly approaching
P5290430.JPG

And off the ferry came a german Amarok with a nice camper-trailer. Got me thinking, i should get mine ready for next summer.
P5290439.JPG

Beauty!! Such a great way to start summer. I'm in Honolulu, and it isn't ever as beautiful as all that!!
BTW, what are the fees for the ferry for your truck. In BC, now $75 for trip from Vancouver Island to
Vancouver each way. ( including driver )
Any opinion on the VW Amarok? We don't even see them here, but with the TDI
they must be a pretty efficient truck.

Yeah, I'm lucky to have a beautiful backyard. :)

This ferry is about 250 nok, around $30 for 40 minutes, per car 1 driver.

The state is already substituting most of the cost to keep these remote areas afloat.
How long does the Vancouver ferry take?

I've tested the amarok, pretty similar to the Nissan navara/titan experience. It's not for me, but it's built for road duties.
Between the newer pickups we can choose from, I'd definitely go with a Isuzu, they're superior in every way, I like it even more than the hilux.

Last edited:
Our ferry is 22 miles, takes 1 hr 40 min. Subsidized somewhat, but that is always a great debate here!
This is hardly remote, some people are commuting to Vancouver for work, cause it's cheaper than living
in Vancouver. :confused:
Thanks again for the pics, gotta get there

Love the pics!!!! Good call on putting bolts in from the bottom for the shift boots. I've got to do that next time I'm in there :cheers:

Went to have my EU regulations inspection today. Was prepared for some extra work, since the rules have been harder especially this year.
-but it passed with flying colors!! All the work lately payed off, now it's road-legal for another 2 years.

Max legal size is 31x10,5r15, so that's was it is at now ;)
2016-06-01 21.50.49.jpg

2016-06-01 21.50.23 HDR.jpg

Looks great! Stay out of Paris now. Do they check tire sizes on road checks or is it a gov't thing
that gets ignored right after inspection time?

Looks great! Stay out of Paris now. Do they check tire sizes on road checks or is it a gov't thing
that gets ignored right after inspection time?

There are different types of road checks, and some are technical, then everything from lights, tires, leaks and other safety related stuff gets checked.

The periodical EU check I just did assures all safety aspects are met, there is lights aiming, brake performance test, brake line inspection, emissions check, seats and belts, leaks, rattles, rust, electrical, wheel bearings, they even check for u joint play, tie rods and pinion slack, steering wheel and column play and so on.

The thorough test took 1,5 hours and you get rated with smaller , medium and critical faults.
Any medium fault makes you have to address the issues within a month, (lights, glass, minor play or minor leaks) but any critical fault will tag the car not road worthy immediately, and issuance is withdrawn so you cannot drive legally.

All this is really a good thing to keep all cars safe and sound, but can be a hassle with older cars.

I'm glad I passed every point, they only adjusted a driving light height!

that max size it's coz it's close to the factory tire size ?

Yeah, it's within the +/- 5% of the original dimensions circumference.

I will now start a long process of getting a larger tire legal on my cruiser, as I have acquired the original TÜV licence for the OME kit, and if I clear several other tests again (brakes, brake while cornering, cog, car width, accurate speedometer, tires within fenders, etc) I can get maybe a 33x10,5 tire legal, or stretch for 35s, but width would be an issue as I don't want the extra flares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom