Rear end offset??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took the old boy for his first inspection the other day and mechanically sound, just a few niggles which I sort of new about. No horn (now resolved). No number plate lights (now resolved, but apparently it's been on the wrong side for 36 years according to the test center........). Frame number different than typing error on registration document (been like that for years...). After all the forum help and tweaking he was good and roadworthy. I'm sure they just wanted to find something wrong with such an old beast.

One thing that did pop up is I need flared wheel arches as the tyres stick out past the body - but only on one side...... (Passenger, short axle side). When you look down the body from the front it's about 1 inch out more than the drivers side.
So, what could have caused this and what do I need to readjust. Looking for the usual expert guidance before I go blindly unscrewing bolts and trying to manhandle it over. Everything looks and feels right, but not having anything to compare against I'm non the wiser......

Dark outside now but will add photos tomorrow if they are needed.

Check that your springs are parallel in the frame, shackles in vertical plane, wheels TRULY identical. I've had a lot of mismatched wagon wheels come thru the shop over the years that LOOK identical from vehicle sideview.

Best

Mark

Heres a couple of photos. Running 31 x 10.5 x 15 with same rims.

Drivers side with it flush
image.jpeg

passengers side with it out...
image.jpeg

Think I may have found the culprit though. Rear spring hanger has had some work, looks like the frame cracked.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Welding ing looks like a pigeon roost though.
There is definitely a kink going rear wards. Oh well. Another reason to go down to a frame off restoration........ Bugger....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom