Ugly 80 story need some help here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
80 burn 1.jpg
80 burn 2.jpg
Been driving my new (to me) 96 80 series a lot lately, really liking it especially with the price of gas as low as it is these days. When I got the truck it needed tires, TLC, and a Y pipe and cats. Did all that work, cleaned her up and she's been great for the 2000 miles I put on her.

Took it across PA Monday to pick up a 40 project. On the way home I noticed the exhaust getting a little louder. I knew the resonator had a bulge in it but didn't think anything of it. First problem I noticed was the rear wiper working intermittently even though I hadn't activated it. then the left side turn indicator dash light went on and stayed on without being triggered. When I exited the interstate I didn't have any right side turn signals. Checked and had no turn signals, no hazard lights and no wiper action front or rear. Worst thing is when I got home and stopped the truck to see what happened I couldn't get it out of Park when i had to move it again!!!!

Well, the resonator had blown apart and the exhaust gases that had previously gone out beyond the bumper went up into the wheelwell and burned a section of wiring. The two large diameter wires that fed my inverter were burned but worst of all was a section of the rear wiring harness. Pictures show the burned wire sections and what was left of the resonator. I need a section of the rear harness and have posted for it in the "parts wanted" section of Mud. Hopefully someone can help me with what I need. Pics posted below.

Dang Gary, glad that didnt get any worse. I mean i like my bacon crispy but.....

shoot me a pm with whats needed if your ad doesnt generate a quick solution. I have a parts truck that likely has that section but it is over an hour away and i wont get there till next week at the soonest.

Just curious, why can you not just splice in new wire?

Is that the 80's harness or the add-on for the trailer wiring? Because the exhaust shouldn't burn anything Mr. T attached. Is it possible to just unplug the trailer harness, which is what part of that looks like? Because that might just solve your other problems temporarily. The problem you describe could be caused just by a trailer harness burn up like it might be in your pic.

No this isn't part of the trailer harness it's part of the original Toyota harness. It runs up through a rubber grommetted hole in the rear of the wheelwell into the inner quarter panel where it feeds to tail light, side light, and rear wiper harness. It also contains the fluid hose for the rear washer function. yes I could splice but there are thirteen wires so i'd have 26 (2 x 26) splices, and there are 13 different colors in the harness- and I have five or six colors of copper wiring! I believe I'll be able to get the harness part that I need.

As a side note I have the factory (big book!!!) service manual for the 96 80 series but it doesn't have wiring diagrams. I suspect a separate book covers wiring schematics. if anyone has a link to a site where I can see these schematics online I'd highly appreciate it! Thanks in advance for all the help.

Last edited:
Same exact thing happened to me on the way to New Hampshire some years ago. Exhaust gasses melted through the harness that runs under the rear of the truck. I rebuilt mine from corner to corner.

As a side note I have the factory (bog book!!!) service manual for the 96 80 series but it doesn't have wiring diagrams. I suspect a separate book covers wiring schematics. if anyone has a link to a site where I can see these schematics online I'd highly appreciate it! Thanks in advance for all the help.
You want the "EWD" here:1996 FSM and EWD

Worst thing is when I got home and stopped the truck to see what happened I couldn't get it out of Park when i had to move it again!!!!
Check for a blown "STOP" fuse.

FYI that whole harness can be separated from the floor harness on both sides without too much trouble. Hardest part is the body clips under the body.. They are tough to separate without breaking the tabs. Beyond that I'd bet you could find the harness used in classifieds easily.

Interesting to know. When we got our truck it did have a burnt trailer harness thingee that eventually caused enough problems to attract attention to itself and prompt removal. Everything else looked OK when I found that, but maybe I should take a look under there in the normal process of looking stuff over, too.

If you want to take it out of park while the stop light fuse is blown, pry off that little square piece next above the shifter handle.

12728846_10207604480184539_1396898487481858859_n.jpg

Once you have it out, push down on the little white plastic bit with something like a pen or screwdriver, and it will unlock your shifter form Park. Just an FYI

942850_10207604480024535_9204853646862463388_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom