uneven rear suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently discovered from looking at rear of my Cruiser, the rear right side seems to be about an inch higher than left (measured from top of tire gap inside of wheel well). Mechanic couldn't figure out why even after looking at the suspension. Please help.

I have same issue although my difference is closer to half an inch difference, passenger side sits lower. Is your front sitting level? Is front higher than rear? The torsion bars effect not only the front but can impact rear as well.

I'm OCD about the stance so I ordered new springs (already did new OEM shocks all around about 6 months ago). Hope to install the springs next weekend. Figured 13 year old springs may be prone to a bit of sag.

Front should be lower "rake". Take into Toyota to have alignment done, and they'll adjust your stance (torsion bar "IIRC") which will level rear. I doubt any parts needed.

If the front right is higher than the front left, the left rear would be lower than the right rear... and vise-versa.

On a flat level surface, measure all four corners. Get the front corners even - side to side, not front to rear. You can dial the low side up or the high side down... or split the difference. Once you're sure the front is even side to side, reassess the rear.

EDIT: Does your 100 have AHC? If yes, disregard all ^that^ wait for an AHC guru chime in.

If he has AHC, I believe there is only one rear sensor, so i doubt it would cause his problem unless the system is way out of whack. Im assuming it is just your standard driver side lean from worn coils if your torsion bars are adjusted properly. Over the vehicles lifetime, it sees most of its loaded weight from the drivers seat, so the coils on the driver side are more prone to wear.

I would check the the torsion bars first and if everything looks even, then I would suspect the rear coils.

I recently discovered from looking at rear of my Cruiser, the rear right side seems to be about an inch higher than left (measured from top of tire gap inside of wheel well). Mechanic couldn't figure out why even after looking at the suspension. Please help.

Whats your set up?

If he has AHC, I believe there is only one rear sensor, so i doubt it would cause his problem unless the system is way out of whack. Im assuming it is just your standard driver side lean from worn coils if your torsion bars are adjusted properly. Over the vehicles lifetime, it sees most of its loaded weight from the drivers seat, so the coils on the driver side are more prone to wear.

I would check the the torsion bars first and if everything looks even, then I would suspect the rear coils.
There isn't any relationship between a side to side lean and height sensors. The single rear sensor sets height and the two height displacement signals from the front sensors are summed, averaged and inverted for a net 0, positive or negative signal to maintain the same height, lower or raise. Any side to lean is mechanically related - torsion bars and/or uneven tired coils.

With AHC... if the problem is with a front sensor or TB, the lean could still show up in the rear, because there's only one rear sensor. I think. I'm - by NO means an expert on AHC (meaning, I mostly don't know s*** about it) - but with any suspension, all four corners are impacted by any up or down input to any single corner. Comes back to earlier point - first make sure everything's straight up front. Then, reassess the rear

The front sensors do not independently control height at each front corner so they really can't drive the hydraulics to induce a lean at the front which would carry over to the rear. Normally there are three options for height control - do nothing, raise equally or lower equally. The same hydraulic pressure is ported to, or from, the front two shock actuators that are normally connected in parallel through one valve in response to the single combined and processed height error signal. It simply does not, can not, raise or lower just one corner and induce a lean while the vehicle is static. This is why us AHC guys keep banging on about "on level ground measure height at the four corners, adjust for cross level with the torsion bars and then set overall height by adjusting height sensors and finally adjust both torsion bars equally (so as to not induce a lean) for the correct pressure". This is what the FSM also says. The only time a wheel is hydraulically isolated from its opposite is when in motion and in response to a significant, speed dependent, steering input. Then the system uses height differentials, speed and steering wheel angle to hydraulically isolate and reduce lean (body roll).

Mine sits the same, no AHC. I thought it was the springs being worn...

I don't have AHC. My front is leveled, only the rear right is about an inch higher. Is this the issue with coils or torsion bars?

Had the same problem on mine - adjusted the torsion bars and all good now.

Forgot to post an update. I replaced my springs with OEM springs and my sag all but went away. Also got about a .5 - 3/4" lift. I am certain my original OEM springs had met their expiration date and were sagging quite a bit.

Never thought having a level rear bumper would make me so happy!

I am not a suspension tech, what is process of adjusting the torsion bars? 98 lx470
If you're still running AHC then have a look at the thread "definitive list of AHC maintenance items" - if your truck has been modified to a conventional system then follow @DirtDawg lead. Two very different systems that require different approaches.

Forgot to post an update. I replaced my springs with OEM springs and my sag all but went away. Also got about a .5 - 3/4" lift. I am certain my original OEM springs had met their expiration date and were sagging quite a bit.

Never thought having a level rear bumper would make me so happy!

Thanks for the update. Almost every time i go over speed bump my rear hits the bump stop. Not sure if this is common but i think its the springs and shocks. How much are the stock springs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom