FJ60 U-Joint Replacement on Steering Column (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

I recently posting another thread concerning loose steering (i.e. free play) in my '87 FJ60.
The thread is here:

FJ60 Loose Steering

Essentially, I have gone through the entire vehicle in order to eliminate free play in the steering wheel (with limited success).

A number of mudders have suggested replacing the u-joints in the steering column. This is probably the last thing on my list that was suggested which I have not done.

My question is this: for those of you who did replace the u-joints, could you feel the slop in the column? I went under the vehicle and reached up and grabbed the intermediate shaft while had someone turn the wheel. The assembly felt tight. Of course, I am not sure how this translates to 50 mph steering. The vehicle only has 114K miles, but I know it was off-roaded.

Thanks for any help,
Stoshzack

If the u-joint feels tight by grabbing the shaft and feeling for slop while rocking the steering wheel back and forth, then it's tight (enough).

If the motion of the steering wheel in very small increments, back and forth corresponds to the shaft turn accordingly, then it's not significantly lose.

U-joints are steel spindles pressing against steel needle bearings. If there is any significant slop, you'll feel it rock a little when turned back and forth.

One part of the steering to check is the steering intermediate shaft slip joint sleeve assy. I would take out that whole assembly and check carefully for tightness.

Also, separate it (noting orientation) clean out the old grease and pack it with new.

You could install a grease zirc on the back end to be able to pump grease into the sleeve while its assembled in the car. That may help take up a little slop... keeping it packed fully with grease.

I installed a grease zirc in mine and it certainly makes greasing the intermediate shaft a lot easier, and I like to think the steering is a tad tighter.. though it may be wishful thinking.

If you take out the intermediate shaft and test it by hand and find that it has some slop, a new one is still available but it costs several hundred bucks.

I'm convinced, like all other Land Cruiser systems, that the gear boxes are ultimately the issue with reported "loose steering" after all of the normal maintenance item culprits have been taken care of.

Unfortunately beyond the bearings, seals and Orings, not much for the 6x steering gear box is available.

Of course, the usual culprits are the power piston and the sector shaft.

I like the idea that @FJ40Jim posited of utilizing 80 series gear box components, which are still available as well as the entire gear box assy.

I've heard vague rumors of using the 80 box on the 60/62 but have not found a thread...

Linky?

I've heard vague rumors of using the 80 box on the 60/62 but have not found a thread...

Linky?

Well, the bolt pattern is the same for after 4/85 so it should work OK. Your steering will have more power assist due to the larger piston, and less feedback. A good trade for an offroad truck.

Yes, thanks to everyone for the feedback. And thanks Beno...I was going mad trying to figure this out and swear it was the gearbox even after the rebuild.

I'm convinced, like all other Land Cruiser systems, that the gear boxes are ultimately the issue with reported "loose steering" after all of the normal maintenance item culprits have been taken care of.

Unfortunately beyond the bearings, seals and Orings, not much for the 6x steering gear box is available.

Of course, the usual culprits are the power piston and the sector shaft.

I like the idea that @FJ40Jim posited of utilizing 80 series gear box components, which are still available as well as the entire gear box assy.

@beno : Can you PM me a price on a new 80 gear box assy., pretty pls?

Are you sure you even want to hear the price? It is more expensive than some used 80 series trucks on the market.

Being dead serious.

I've sold a tota of 2 of these units ever.

I'm scared but having had a box rebuilt, steering still isn't what I want it to be. Just drove a rig with much fewer miles and THAT's the steering I want in my rig. Unless there's another solution out there that will give me the same results, I might just have to bite the bullet - even if it means selling one of my weapons to do as such =(

What else have you done? Stock height rig? Tire rod End links, knuckle bearings, wheel bearings, shackle bushings, u-bolts and so on?

Good thing to chase that slop.
But some slop is what keeps you awake when driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom