Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Danny-
"I collected clocks when I was younger, but ran out of time :rimshot:"
Oh my-- this has to be a classic-an e-mail sig line, or something---
Tom's back yard ferns are beautiful--

OK. So now it's revealed that I have a clock fetish on top of my 40-series Land Cruiser obsession. :redface:

Actually there's lots of mantle clocks too that should be coming out of hiding as soon as I can get around to designing and installing some rimu pelmets over the sliding door and window in the dining room. (They'll hopefully sit on top of those pelmets if I can figure out a neat/mostly-hidden way of securing them so they don't fall off and kill someone in an earthquake.)
I'm not allowed to have many of my clocks running because :princess: likes to listen for things to blame for not sleeping well..... Actually currently the scapegoat is my "heavy breathing" so I probably should start up more clocks so I no longer go to sleep worried she may smother me with a pillow. (She could instead just go on a "clock smashing spree".)

If only we were closer neighbours eh Peter?. You're a "kindred spirit", and you're right ... Nat and Sandy would probably cringe every time we get together. Next time we're in Brisbane (but don't hold your breath because the last time was 1979) we'll definitely try to drop in to see you and Nat (and all the peculiar things you both have accumulated).

:beer:

OK. So now it's revealed that I have a clock fetish on top of my 40-series Land Cruiser obsession. :redface:

Actually there's lots of mantle clocks too that should be coming out of hiding as soon as I can get around to designing and installing some rimu pelmets over the sliding door and window in the dining room. (They'll hopefully sit on top of those pelmets if I can figure out a neat/mostly-hidden way of securing them so they don't fall off and kill someone in an earthquake.)
I'm not allowed to have many of my clocks running because :princess: likes to listen for things to blame for not sleeping well..... Actually currently the scapegoat is my "heavy breathing" so I probably should start up more clocks so I no longer go to sleep worried she may smother me with a pillow. (She could instead just go on a "clock smashing spree".)

If only we were closer neighbours eh Peter?. You're a "kindred spirit", and you're right ... Nat and Sandy would probably cringe every time we get together. Next time we're in Brisbane (but don't hold your breath because the last time was 1979) we'll definitely try to drop in to see you and Nat (and all the peculiar things you both have accumulated).

I really did collect clocks at one time... but, being career Air Force, I had a lose weight (personal possessions weight) every time we were transferred... so, I gave it up. I'll bite... what is a "rimu pelmet"?

Hi All
Some of us Aussie have clocks to.
This is a Gledhill Brook Time Recorder
As in Clock on Clock off
Cheers
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448677971.840156.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

So... today was a GREAT day!!

daBoise and I drove across (west to east) the Desert National Wildlife Refuge, via Morman Well Road. 20 Miles north on US95, at 70mph; 50 miles (at ~< 25mph) on Morman Well Road, to US93. ~60 miles home, via US93 and IH15, at 70-75mph... and nary a hiccup!!

Even though I intended to be home before dark, I had to pack as though our lives depended on it... bedding, water, food, etc... just in case.

But, this time, I loaded it all on the hitch carrier (@GA Architect - the cargo netting is down and the lantern is no longer hitting me in the back of the head!). The entire cab was dedicated to the three of us... my bed on the passenger side ( passenger seat back left at home) and daBoise' bed behind the driver's seat. They had plenty of room and loved lounging and watching all the landscape changes flow by.

I had a new Robert Crais audio book (The Promise) loaded on my iphone and song in my heart... we picked up a couple of huge breakfast burritos up (wrapped in foil) and drove about 20 miles up US95 and 15 miles into the refuge, before stopping to eat. They were still almost too hot to eat!!

We had driven this road about a year ago, pre-everything (rebuilt 2F, rebuilt carb, BOSS air bags, etc.), so I had a baseline with which to compare...

It's 2400' here at home; ~4400' at the west end of the road; ~7000' at the campground at the summit; back down to around 4000' at US93; and still 2400' at home. The wind was blowing about 15-20mph and the temperature was around 30* F at the summit, but it was a gorgeous sunny day!!

44 was amazing!!! I aired the tires down to 18 and there was simply NO comparison between the 44 of old and the new improved 44!!

She performed perfectly (as did the power steering!!) and was an absolute joy to drive!!

Here are a few pictures:

IMG_0617.JPG

Chester is backing up 44 in this one.
IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG

Still a bit of snow up there
IMG_0638.JPG

More to come...

More pictures... the first two are of the same 'subject'... this 'subject' reminds me of some close encounter I had or something...

IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0664.JPG

The hitch carrier is the Harbor Freight ATV carrier that is rated at 350 lbs... I had about 120 lbs on it... never even noticed it was there.

On a slightly more technical note... In anticipation of installing my snorkel, I wasted much of yesterday removing an old, unused radio antennae - I now have cuts all over my hands and this disgusting hole to repair...

Antenae Hole.JPG

Nice photos Danny, happy the 'Gator/Croc" didn't get you this trip.

Looks like a gator to me. (1st two pics)

Ah, am I slow or what!?!

Thanks for clearing that up!

The whole Public area of the Desert National Wildlife Refuge is adjacent to the restricted/closed area... Which includes Area 51... I tend to see saucers, Martians, et al... Everywhere I turn... That was what I was leaning toward with those pictures.

Now I see the Gator/Croc! But, it's a desert environment, the Gator/Croc was obviously placed there by visitors from afar...

Beautiful pictures Danny! I love the west/south west areas of our country, I'm so jealous that this is your 'back yard'...you have a most wonderful playground! Glad 44 is all well now and performing as it should...keep posting awesome pictures for us to enjoy!!

Skip

Beautiful pictures Danny! I love the west/south west areas of our country, I'm so jealous that this is your 'back yard'...you have a most wonderful playground! Glad 44 is all well now and performing as it should...keep posting awesome pictures for us to enjoy!!

Skip

Thanks Skip! I'm very lucky to have all this available to me!

Just think how awesome these pictures would be if only I had a photographer with me!!

I never realised you lived virtually right in this majestic landscape Danny! Ideal lonely country for your beautiful 78 FJ40 "44" that's for sure..... No wonder you spend so much time out in the boonies there!

And nice to see that I'm not the only one who has to manhandle my passenger seat in and out on a regular basis..

As far as the "gators" go .... You guys are on weed I reckon...:D

And @Bambi Girl was obviously holding out on me about owning such a beautiful timepiece! I wonder if he uses it to get Nat to clock in and out of her house-cleaning duties?

I've got a collection of books on restoring old clocks and even have the gear to be able to reproduce all the little cogs if need be ... (all awaiting that magical and elusive time called "retirement"). So if the pendulum isn't moving, I think Peter is duty-bound to send it over here for repairs. (Just between you and me though, if he were to do that I'd use all our usual MUD procrastination excuses like "soaking in penetrating fluid", "awaiting parts delivery" etc to ensure he never gets it back. Ha ha)

I never realised you lived virtually right in this majestic landscape Danny! Ideal lonely country for your beautiful 78 FJ40 "44" that's for sure..... No wonder you spend so much time out in the boonies there!

And nice to see that I'm not the only one who has to manhandle my passenger seat in and out on a regular basis..

As far as the "gators" go .... You guys are on weed I reckon...:D

And @Bambi Girl was obviously holding out on me about owning such a beautiful timepiece! I wonder if he uses it to get Nat to clock in and out of her house-cleaning duties?

I've got a collection of books on restoring old clocks and even have the gear to be able to reproduce all the little cogs if need be ... (all awaiting that magical and elusive time called "retirement"). So if the pendulum isn't moving, I think Peter is duty-bound to send it over here for repairs. (Just between you and me though, if he were to do that I'd use all our usual MUD procrastination excuses like "soaking in penetrating fluid", "awaiting parts delivery" etc to ensure he never gets it back. Ha ha)

Yep, virtually right in it!! The DNWR (Desert National Wildlife Refuge) is 1.6 million acres... Only about 1/4 of which is open to the public... You can see a map on this link. The western (main) entrance (Visitor Center) is about 23 miles from home.

Left at the Visitor Center is Alamo Road... Almost 80 miles of high clearance road to a closed crossing at a dry lake... So, one way in and back out ... About 160 miles... Come prepared!! Gunner and I had a great trip, the length of that road a few months back. We camped at the summit if Sheep Pass... There are pictures in here somewhere, with a campfire.

Right at the visitor center, is Morman Well Road... The road we just travelled... It's also high clearance.kk

Whichever is roughest changes, depending on where rain falls of snow melt flows, or both.

Both of the roads have various side roads that go 2-several miles, to hiking trail heads... Some are easy hikes and others are longer and tougher... One, in particular, climbs to 10,000 feet and realistically requires overnighting at the top.

It's a great 'backyard' and I seldom see as much as a half dozen other vehicles out there!

When I want to get away from all those people, we go further north, to other wonderous areas... There are so many mountain ranges, valleys between the ranges, wilderness areas, etc. within 4 hours of home... THIS should give you an idea of what I speak...

If you like to explore lonely, desolate places that have rock stratum running horizontal, vertical and everywhere in between and a different view around every curve, The Great Basin (i.e. Big Empty) is the place to be!! I love it!!

Unless some other human decides to ride along, I just leave the passenger seat back out and my ironing board shaped plywood sleep platform, Thermarest Base Camp sleeping pad and 5" of foam in place. DaBoise actually like laying in it while I drive.

That picture really does resemble a croc... Look at its snout and beady little eyes...

Peter does have a really nice time recorder... But, I suspect he didn't mention it because Nat tracks HIS time... Right @Bambi Girl ?

I won't tell him about your ulterior motives...

On a technical note... I have started building a version of the overhead console that Mike (@78fj40mg ) and others have built out of wood. The difference... I have no need for installed electronics, but I do need lockable storage. So, I'm building a wooden overhead storage "cubby" that will have a locking door that will keep "stuff" from falling on my head.

Will there be pictures? Pictures are possible!

Here's a pic of my Grandfather's clock--literally. He worked at the Ithaca Calendar Clock Co. in N.Y. as an inspector after college(Cornell Univ.)
He prob had a hand in building this--pre 1940)-After the Clock Co. closed, he worked at Ithaca Gun Co. til he retired--Barrel inspection and Engraving. This thing still keeps perfect time, but I have the same issue--wife can't stand the noise(But it puts me to sleep in about 10 minutes)
Has time/day/month/year/ - AND Moon phases(weirdly-these are in the back of the works)
I made the display case out of American Elm--A tree my Grandfather planted many years ago in front of the small home he and my Grandmother had in Ithaca, N.Y. The trees were unfortunately removed due to the Dutch Elm disease in the late 70's I have pictures somewhere of Him sitting on the stump of a tree the City removed(News article) - the stump was at least 50" in diameter--big trees--such a shame.
I made the case
IMG_2462.JPG

Here's a pic of my Grandfather's clock--literally. He worked at the Ithaca Calendar Clock Co. in N.Y. as an inspector after college(Cornell Univ.)
He prob had a hand in building this--pre 1940)-After the Clock Co. closed, he worked at Ithaca Gun Co. til he retired--Barrel inspection and Engraving. This thing still keeps perfect time, but I have the same issue--wife can't stand the noise(But it puts me to sleep in about 10 minutes)
Has time/day/month/year/ - AND Moon phases(weirdly-these are in the back of the works)
I made the display case out of American Elm--A tree my Grandfather planted many years ago in front of the small home he and my Grandmother had in Ithaca, N.Y. The trees were unfortunately removed due to the Dutch Elm disease in the late 70's I have pictures somewhere of Him sitting on the stump of a tree the City removed(News article) - the stump was at least 50" in diameter--big trees--such a shame.
I made the caseView attachment 1168462

Very nice Gary!!

Danny... Heavens above. You even have sheep in that country! They look a bit underfed and scrawny though (and I guess they don't outnumber the humans over there in your country).

Bighorn_Sheep.JPG

I made the caseView attachment 1168462

Now I'm jealous as... I can see I'm going to have start saving and instead of getting my clocks from charity shops I'm going to have to go to antique auctions or something like that to try and match you guys!

That's a family heirloom that the following generations of sggoats are going to fight over for sure. Great job you did of the cabinet too. My woodworking skills are nowhere near that standard :(.

Hmmm. Connection between clocks and 40-series Land Cruisers? Well someone's already made one:

FJ40clock.jpg

Trouble is, this one's bound to have a tiny modern battery-driven unit at the rear and certainly hasn't got a pendulum or chimes.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom