99 LX470 - crank and think it is going to catch, but no start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi Y'All,

I usually hang out in the 55 section, but we are looking at a LX470 for the :princess: these days.

We are test driving a 1999 w/ 139k miles, and I went to start it up, it cranked and I thought it was going to catch and start, but it did not start. On the next try it started.

Is this a common experience? Easy fix?

Just wondering if this is a good vehicle to buy for my family.

Thanks,

imho that's no big deal. Sometime my LX does that, I just assumed I was a little premature in releasing the key from cranking. I wouldn't worry about it. My LX carries my family (difference parts of it since new), for 275k or so to date.

TJ- welcome, get one, they are great.

That can happen if the security is enabled. were you using the correct key? If not, it will crank and crank. See if the security light is on when that key is in. If it is, it's the wrong key.

TJ- welcome, get one, they are great.

That can happen if the security is enabled. were you using the correct key? If not, it will crank and crank. See if the security light is on when that key is in. If it is, it's the wrong key.

Thanks, good to see you over here! how many miles on your '04?
I am not sure where to look for the security light? Sorry to be such a noob... And to be clear, it will start with the key, but I have had a few no-starts after what "feels" like a reasonable crank time (crank time that would start my Civic or 325i).

And to be clear, it will start with the key, but I have had a few no-starts after what "feels" like a reasonable crank time (crank time that would start my Civic or 325i).

I will add that the temp has been dropping here all day, so I could see fuel pressure being a possible factor.

Mine has 168K currently, it was a mechanics special. I posted on here about it if you want to read. In short, these are incredibly vehicles, especially if the wife and/or kids are going to be in it. Very safe too. The 2UZ is a 400K mile engine (at least) with proper maintenance.

I thought you were looking at one on the lot, but it sounds like you are able to take it home. Even better. I thought the 99s had a security system on it. For mine, it's just below the screen/button and above the radio, all by it's lonesome. I know the 99s don't have this layout with the touchscreen, so I am not sure. I would expect a red light though.

My first thought is that the starter could be on it's way out intermittently. The starters on these are under the plenum, not on the side like I6 cruisers. To replace it, you have to remove it, there are some links in the FAQ on how to do it. Probably a 3 hour job for the first time as I have read. Even if it isn't the starter, it would be a good idea to replace/rebuild it as the date/miles are getting up there. I went ahead and had my mechanic replace my with a new denso unit while he was RnR the #2 head, it wasn't that much more since he was in there.

Outside of that, I would check if it's getting fuel. Perhaps the filter is clogged? I have changed them on various cruisers before but almost all the time they are good. More PM I suppose.

Is it throwing a CEL at all? Since these have coil packs, a P0300-P0308 would be thrown if one were bad. Or, pull a couple of them and check the spark plugs? Could be another culprit.

Not sure if that helps or not. I don't think any of the above items would be expensive, just take time to figure out. If you have any other questions on it in general, feel free to PM/email me.

IMG_7133.JPG

I will add that the temp has been dropping here all day, so I could see fuel pressure being a possible factor.

Oh, could be the pressure regulator or dampener. For fuel pressure, it's best to have a good indy shop test that as they have the tools to do it, it's not really a DIY diagnosis IMO.

Mine has 168K currently, it was a mechanics special. I posted on here about it if you want to read. In short, these are incredibly vehicles, especially if the wife and/or kids are going to be in it. Very safe too. The 2UZ is a 400K mile engine (at least) with proper maintenance.

I thought you were looking at one on the lot, but it sounds like you are able to take it home. Even better. I thought the 99s had a security system on it. For mine, it's just below the screen/button and above the radio, all by it's lonesome. I know the 99s don't have this layout with the touchscreen, so I am not sure. I would expect a red light though.

My first thought is that the starter could be on it's way out intermittently. The starters on these are under the plenum, not on the side like I6 cruisers. To replace it, you have to remove it, there are some links in the FAQ on how to do it. Probably a 3 hour job for the first time as I have read. Even if it isn't the starter, it would be a good idea to replace/rebuild it as the date/miles are getting up there. I went ahead and had my mechanic replace my with a new denso unit while he was RnR the #2 head, it wasn't that much more since he was in there.

Outside of that, I would check if it's getting fuel. Perhaps the filter is clogged? I have changed them on various cruisers before but almost all the time they are good. More PM I suppose.

Is it throwing a CEL at all? Since these have coil packs, a P0300-P0308 would be thrown if one were bad. Or, pull a couple of them and check the spark plugs? Could be another culprit.

Not sure if that helps or not. I don't think any of the above items would be expensive, just take time to figure out. If you have any other questions on it in general, feel free to PM/email me.

IMG_7133.JPG

It certainly feels like a safe rig for family, does everyone feel like they are safe, or is there good data to support?

Yes, the owner let us drive it this week while he is out of town - very nice of him!

The starter cranks every time, no problem with starter failing to crank, just the engine not catching and starting.

The owner said the fuel filter had been replaced recently.

No CEL

I do know that my Civic will sometimes not catch when the tank is low. Now I remember that if that is the case, I will cycle the key and leave it in the "ON" position for a second until I hear the relay cycle. Perhaps there is a similar factor in play...

Is the fuel low? You could fill it up and see if it remains an issue.

In 2003, they came with a 5 speed and side curtain airbags. Oddly I have a couple of friends who are looking for a 100 and they are specifically looking at 2003+ for the 5 speed. But at the end of the day, as long as it's been cared for, that's all that matters. Oh, use the toyota owners site to run the VIN and see what maintenance was done at the dealer.

I bought this 99 truck last week. The owner was towing a 25 foot camper and the "tail wagged the dog". The cruiser was rolled onto it's side, totaling it. He walked away unscathed, which is a testament to the engineering of these vehicles.

IMG_7374.JPG

Is the fuel low? You could fill it up and see if it remains an issue.

In 2003, they came with a 5 speed and side curtain airbags. Oddly I have a couple of friends who are looking for a 100 and they are specifically looking at 2003+ for the 5 speed. But at the end of the day, as long as it's been cared for, that's all that matters. Oh, use the toyota owners site to run the VIN and see what maintenance was done at the dealer.

I bought this 99 truck last week. The owner was towing a 25 foot camper and the "tail wagged the dog". The cruiser was rolled onto it's side, totaling it. He walked away unscathed, which is a testament to the engineering of these vehicles.

IMG_7374.JPG

Jinkees! That is a wreck...

The tank is about half full.

I have heard about the 5-speed in 2003+. We are dealing with an unexpected hit to my DD ('94 Civic Si, 265k miles, GREAT car!) and want to stay ~$10k. This LX kind of fell into our laps, so wondering if all will work out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom