New front oem pads and rotors - now squeaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bot and installed oem pads and rotors and about a week later they started squeaking. Did i do something wrong? I mean every time i pull to a stop light i have the only ride thats brakes are squeaking and its just bothersome.

I did the same with new OEM rotors and pads last month, now mine do the same. Its annoying. I am going to keep driving it as it should dissipate over time.

Did you replace the shim kit as well? I know they are expensive but sometimes using the old shims with the new rotors and pads can cause it to squeak.

Did you replace the shim kit as well? I know they are expensive but sometimes using the old shims with the new rotors and pads can cause it to squeak.

I did not have a shim kit so I reused mine. I talked to others who don't use shims. Why would shims cause squealing though? It's not a moving part on the rotor.

I did not have a shim kit so I reused mine. I talked to others who don't use shims. Why would shims cause squealing though? It's not a moving part on the rotor.

It's fine to reuse them or even go without if you have some other method of dampening between the caliber and the pad. If the shims are worn out/broken in some way it reduces that dampening ability and may lead to break noise.

I would try one of the many anti squeal lubricants/pastes on the back of the pads though before I spent more money on new shim kits if you haven't done that already.

Brake Shims and Brake Lube

^^ Is a must>> "anti squeal lubricants".
Additionally make sure pads are not bidding on retaining pins. I had to enlarge pad pin holes a touch with a grinding bit.
Third: follow mfg break in procedure for pads.

Did you do your bearings also? How did that go? Did you follow a particular how to? Did you replace the bearings and all internals with OEM?
Im doing front/back this week.

Use all new shim kits retainers and the M shaped spring. Lube and anti squeal. All really cheap

Theres a break in procedure for pads?

I installed new bearings on both sides. Not difficult at all with the help of this forum.

Theres a break in procedure for pads?

Yes, you have to bed in your brakes. What I do is go from 0>60>5 ten times. When going from 60>5, you slam your brakes as hard as possible.

Lube the backside with anti squeal, only drawback is the time to do it. You might get lucky with a needle applicator but I have not tried that before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom