Wood Grain Warrior INC . (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm down for the drawers for sure. It's on my short list because it would do wonders for organization on trips. Bad thing is I have to use the 3rd row if the whole fam goes in it. No way to cram 3 seats in the middle. At least I'd rather not. It's also rare that we pile in my car.

Sent from my iPhone

Im in the same 3 child boat as you Fred so my plan for my truck is to install just one 3rd row seat in the back ... with the tool box i mentioned behind the 3rd row seat and just one drawer where there is no seat ... and the other two kids can sit on the 2nd row ...
if someone wants a full drawer drawer system they can just buy two drawers

So you are saying no to sliders? Great thanks a lot. :crybaby:

ha no... did you read anything we said LOL .... im just repeating what some one else said sliders arent that complicated they are almost universal ... (unless you have KDSS aparently) Ill gladly build you some but idk if i can do only one set for under $130 ... point being the ones from trail gear shouldnt be a problem if thats your concerned ... measure between your wheel wells and just buy the length that best fits your vehicle ...

image.jpg
I would like something like this but with a cargo net so things could be accessed or you could get out in an emergency.

Mainly to protect the kids if there was an accident, even with stuff strapped down it worries me when I go camping. It will be more of a concern for me when doing more serious off-roading..

Sliders
1. So the options for trail gear sliders are 58in 67in or 78in. I measured the gx at 72in. The 67in would work but would be a little compromise.
2. The other downfall is it would require me to fabricate quite a bit more than I want to deal with and am capable of. I imagine my work being all cattywompus plus It would take me forever. I can weld but I would prefer to just clamp the sliders on and weld, not have to adjust the angle of each foot, gusset, height, length...
3. Cost $230 for the un-welded trail-gear kit. Metal-tech are $450. Slee are $9000000. So If yours could be in the $200-250 range raw metal, they would be a great option for people who don't need all this fancy steps and plating.

I honestly don't think that they would be that cheap, I could be wrong, but I was thinking more between the $3-450 range... I think the sliders gentleman made have stronger legs than the opor sliders.

Sent from my XT1585

What about a stronger rear bumper beam that replaces the stock one and has 2 recovery points and an optional swing arm tire carrier that "poke out" of the plastic bumper? It would require cutting holes in the stock plastic bumper, but it would fit the "fairly stock" crowd. Basically the compliment to your planned hidden winch mount.

You could probably integrate a receiver hitch into it as well.

LC80 version:
HEFTY Fabworks Rear Bumper Wings!

Example: Jeep tire carrier integrated into stock bumper with bolt on adapter (requires cutting the stock bumper)
American Expedition Vehicles - Brute Kit, V8 HEMI, Aftermarket Jeep Conversions, Products, Wheels, Accessories and Highline Kits for Jeeps (TJ, JK, WK, XK).

Last edited:
I've been lurking off and on for a year maybe. I've finally gotten the green light from the wife for some wheels/tires and necessary mods to make them fit into her GX.

I know I'm pulling those running boards off and am in the same confusing boat about the sliders. Why won't the 4Runner sliders work? 5" inches isn't much of a difference...depending on who's asked. So I may be looking at a set of Taco sliders for it. I'd like to have a perforated top plate for the kids to get in/out with and not break a leg then neck.

The tire carrier is an excellent idea. Especially giving the larger tires not fitting as easily in the spare wheel well. This would free up space underneath for OBA or whatever.

I honestly don't think that they would be that cheap, I could be wrong, but I was thinking more between the $3-450 range... I think the sliders gentleman made have stronger legs than the opor sliders.

Sent from my XT1585

I think when i get into doing sliders i'll probly make a few different options (dual kick out, Single kick out, no kick out,) (full, partial, or no decking) ... that way there are different price options
and FYI there is probly about $200 in just material on those sliders

What about a stronger rear bumper beam that replaces the stock one and has 2 recovery points and an optional swing arm tire carrier that "poke out" of the plastic bumper? It would require cutting holes in the stock plastic bumper, but it would fit the "fairly stock" crowd. Basically the compliment to your planned hidden winch mount.

You could probably integrate a receiver hitch into it as well.

LC80 version:
HEFTY Fabworks Rear Bumper Wings!

Example: Jeep tire carrier integrated into stock bumper with bolt on adapter (requires cutting the stock bumper)
American Expedition Vehicles - Brute Kit, V8 HEMI, Aftermarket Jeep Conversions, Products, Wheels, Accessories and Highline Kits for Jeeps (TJ, JK, WK, XK).

that is a great idea and would compliment the hidden winch mount well ... iv been racking my brain for awhile on this one ... Chris at Hefty Fab is a Friend and customer of mine ... I may have to give him a call about those spindles

I've been lurking off and on for a year maybe. I've finally gotten the green light from the wife for some wheels/tires and necessary mods to make them fit into her GX.

I know I'm pulling those running boards off and am in the same confusing boat about the sliders. Why won't the 4Runner sliders work? 5" inches isn't much of a difference...depending on who's asked. So I may be looking at a set of Taco sliders for it. I'd like to have a perforated top plate for the kids to get in/out with and not break a leg then neck.

The tire carrier is an excellent idea. Especially giving the larger tires not fitting as easily in the spare wheel well. This would free up space underneath for OBA or whatever.

A 120 series 4 runner sliders should work fine .... they dont have to come all the way to arch the ones that are 67" would probly fall out right around the fender flares

I didn't realize all that metal would cost so much. I would get the metal works but $450+shipping would put me around $525. I just can't justify that for as little off roading I do. What do you think the basic sliders would run without shipping of course.

I didn't realize all that metal would cost so much. I would get the metal works but $450+shipping would put me around $525. I just can't justify that for as little off roading I do. What do you think the basic sliders would run without shipping of course.
Not sure wingy probly no less than 250 but I'll have double check

A 120 series 4 runner sliders should work fine .... they dont have to come all the way to arch the ones that are 67" would probly fall out right around the fender flares

Thanks. I'll pull a measurement when I get home and see which route to go. I saw a set of some Kanati tires at Sams in 285/70-17 for a decent price. I've been wanting a set for a while and I may just pull the trigger on them early since they'll fit my Taco, too.

Thanks. I'll pull a measurement when I get home and see which route to go. I saw a set of some Kanati tires at Sams in 285/70-17 for a decent price. I've been wanting a set for a while and I may just pull the trigger on them early since they'll fit my Taco, too.
tires arent something ill ever cheap out on again, i have gone budget on tires in the past and always end up with issues, either they are not round(kinda important in a tire), or they lose their balance every few weeks, or belts break, or they are super heavy etc. tires are something that you get what you pay for. and when you think about it, thats your first and last line of defense when it comes to your car, its what enables you to go and stop, and turn... cheap tires perform like cheap tires! im not saying you need to rush out and drop $350 per tire, but buying "off" name brand tires is something i will always shy away from -i have had to many bad experiences(all listed above have happened to me). just my .02

as far as ideas go, id like a clamp or mount that comes off of the factory roof rack railings/track(ones that run down the length of the roof) for a ham radio antenna. i dont want to drill a hole into the roof and i have yet to fine a good mount for an antenna. i thought about making a bracket that mounts to the rear of the body/roof at the top where the rear gate closes and meets, but when i put my cargo box up there it hangs over that and i have it adjusted as far forward as i can get it.

do you think it would be hard to make a mount that would work? preferably out of stainless, or i could just paint it.

Just saw this thread, and many who have posted above share my sentiments. (My "wanted" items are in red)

Little Joe started out making a good point, so I'll follow up: Since GXs are reaching a "surprising affordability" point - especially considering just HOW much truck you can now get for the money - I think we're currently just off the low point of the left side of the bell curve. Just like the other Land Cruisers before them, once the trucks became "affordable," the demand for accessories started to take off in a big way. One of the more recent examples is the 100 series Land Cruiser. It hasn't been THAT long ago that you rarely saw a modded 100. Once people realized the value in that platform, they also started taking note of the truck's capabilities, and the aftermarket took off....... Let's face it, a modded GX is still somewhat of a novelty at most any off-road event you can attend, but they're (thankfully) slowly but surely gaining in popularity, largely due to their decreasing price and recognized capabilities.

Next, burtoncr referenced a rear tire carrier design that I believe is a real winner! Like him and some others, I'm not really that fond of a lot of the front and rear replacement bumpers out there. There's nothing wrong with them, they're just not to my taste/needs. That being said, for those of us who wish to keep our factory bumpers - whether due to style or price of replacement (or both) - an exterior tire carrier that could utilize the factory plastic is dead on! I had a tire carrier on an old 80 that utilized the factory bumper, and it was just what I wanted. The one burtoncr referenced as an example is even a better design than the one I had. I would definitely be interested on one of those (along with a hidden winch mount, by the way).

I'm also DEFINITELY interested in a low-profile roof rack that mounts to the factory rack locations on the roof, rather than to the factory rack itself. Just this afternoon, I was looking at the racks FrontRunner offers, and I gotta tell ya, a grand (on sale) for a roof rack is hard to swallow! Granted, it looks like a lot of engineering went into making those racks, and it may be that they're well worth what they're asking......just not to me. I guess I'd be willing to give up some of their "modular functionality" for a lesser-priced aluminum rack. I just want a rack to mount a RTT, shovel/axe, kayak, etc., and I can think of a lot of ways to properly secure those things.

I'd also be interested in skid plates, ESPECIALLY if they provided an access plate to get to the dang 2UZ oil filter! HA! I don't know how practical that would be to design, but I can tell you I sure prefer changing the oil on my 100 over my GX!!!

Lastly, I can't agree with The Great Him more on his position about tires! I, too, have bought cheap tires before (even tried some retreads - once), and it's a big mistake. You have to live with tires too long to make a mistake from the very beginning. That is one product that, in most instances, you get what you pay for! You end up with a square set of tires 20,000 miles (or earlier) into your ownership, and you'll be wondering why you cheaped out at the start.....not to mention the other issues you could end up with other than an unpleasant ride! Most have their favorite brand, and I've found mine......and I'll likely never buy anything else.

Please keep us updated. I would be very interested to learn about any of your offerings!

BTW: I dig your logo concept.....except the "offroading like a gentleman" might be step above the "pink panty" perception of many offroaders. Just my $02.

I kinda like the original as well.
Wood grain warriors...

chivalry on the rocks.
Or
classy off-roading.
Or
Fabrication with integrity.
Or
Classy fabrication
Or
If your father hadn't used our products, you wouldn't exist.
Or
Nothing your grandfather wouldn't use.

I like the chivalry on the rocks, and if your father hadn't used our products you wouldn't exist. Lol

Sent from my XT1585

Sophisticated offroading

Stay classy backwoods

Stay classy outdoors

Bringing the outlet mall to the outdoors

Sent from my XT1585

I like the art work for WGW.

Since names are being thrown out there, how about:
Class Act 4x4
or
Class Act Off-Roading

Last edited: