November ROTM 11/07-08 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

See you at 7:30! (finally get to test the 4.7 gears!)

Great time today! Got lost, turned around, built some road, awesome scenery, fantastic weather, great people to 'wheel with, saw 2 Apache helicopters about 50' above our heads. In other words, another typical wheeling day.

Seeing lights, with a blue hue, in the sky?

Apparently, the light we saw Saturday night may have been from a rocket launch.
You mean this?
IMG_9815-small.jpg
IMG_9816-small.jpg
IMG_9817-small.jpg
IMG_9818-small.jpg
IMG_9819-small.jpg

It seems that after this run and the last Oct ROTM sometimes the best trips are those that are unplanned and "explore oriented" :D

Our group consisted of 10 trucks: 4 80's, 2 Tacomas, 1 4runner, 1 100, and 2 200's. Great group on a great day to start out - the trail choice was Battleaxe trail off of 177 South of Superior. The guidebook states a 5 out of 10 on difficulty and 9 out of 10 in scenery. It truly was a treat and many pictures were taken. The trail in was enjoyable and we all soaked up scenery of the many canyons the trail went through.

Heading down to the river we had hoped to cross over near the coke ovens but we were stopped about 150 feet from the water crossing by a recent severe washout in the trail that was unpassable. The hole was literally a 15 foot drop off and no way around. We decided to turn around and find an alternate route. at this point TexAz. F5driver, Cawlaz, and Msahr parted ways to head home to complete the day trip.

The 6 remaining besides myself was: Stepmur, Saddletramp, Otter, Jclarke450, and Bondonsix. There were brother in laws, moms, families ready for lunch at this point. We took a side route and found some big trees by the river to lunch in the shade. As we were pulling up 2 Apache helicopers came directly over and were waving to us. Wow, that was a thrill! I think Sara was the only one quick enough with a camera.

The attitude was for exploring and enjoying whatever we came across so off we went up the road searching for another route. We finally found our way acorss the river but much farther upstream. driving for a few hours we ended up camping in another very scenic area. Stepmur took some great nighttime pics and saw "a bright light in the sky" but no one was abducted :hillbilly:

After breakfast we broke camp and ended up on pretty much a rather eroded and steep trail that was probably a 7-8 that traveled up and down 2 canyons with drastic height changes. this was my favorite area of the trip. New member Bodonsix and Mom handled it like pros!

Thanks for everyone who could make it!

Some pics
start of the trail
nov15battleaxe.jpg

the line up
nov15lineup.jpg

Msahr and wife throwing down some crawl in his newly marlin-crawlered gears tcase and transmission ~
nov15marc.jpg

Takoda and Mom in his Takoda!

nov15takoda.jpg

Jason giving the kids a roller coaster thrill - many mining tunnels, shafts, equipment in the area that made it interesting.

nov15family.jpg

Jason, Erin, and Steve find the river
nov15jason-erin.jpg
nov15river.jpg

camp - a fun evening ~

nov15camp.jpg

thatll buff out! no worries

nov15buff.jpg

headed out in the am

nov15morning.jpg

heading down the shelf road and will end up going up the road to the left below the white peak, The next canyon over was even more impressive. The roads were great 4x4 challenges.

nov15lc.jpg
nov15hilltope.jpg
nov15hilltopw.jpg

cant wait to see some of the other pictures that will be put up from other attendees.

sorry for the cruddy cell phone pics. I will post the GoPro vids and a couple pics from the Nikon in a little while.
20151107_100130.jpg
20151107_100126.jpg
20151107_110548.jpg
20151107_111012.jpg
20151107_111016.jpg

Thanks for the extra pics. Looks like a great camping spot! If anyone has pics of my 4Runner please PM me I'd love to have the hi-res versions if possible.

Extra thanks for Eric great area to wheel in. Super fun. Lisa and I had a great time.

Link to my Facebook album for the run. Just cell phone pics forgot the GoPro and the Canon at home :(

Marc Sahr | Facebook

Thanks for the extra pics. Looks like a great camping spot! If anyone has pics of my 4Runner please PM me I'd love to have the hi-res versions if possible.

Extra thanks for Eric great area to wheel in. Super fun. Lisa and I had a great time.

Link to my Facebook album for the run. Just cell phone pics forgot the GoPro and the Canon at home :(

Marc Sahr | Facebook
These are the only two I found - I was pretty far back in the pack;)
IMG_9718-small.jpg
IMG_9735-small.jpg

Morning breaks on the desert
IMG_9632-small.jpg

Some other club out & about Saturday morning - we saw a few dozen classic cars on US 60
IMG_9642-small.jpg

Traffic jam on the trail
IMG_9646-small.jpg

Murf picked a scenic route and arranged for beautiful weather
IMG_9652-small.jpg
IMG_9656-small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom