What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was installation a breeze? How complete were the setup instructions? How was the packaging? Did you get correct amount of hardware? I take it everything arrived perfectly with absolutely no issues with powder coat rubbing off or any of the components bent?

Mine has been sitting in the garage for weeks now...UPS managed to loose the first one but Zach got a second one out super quick and all arrived safely. No instructions but not a big deal for most here I imagine, kind of a one direction only deal.

I ordered raw metal sides and front so no PC loss issues. Packaging/PC protection may need to be upped from what I could tell though not my issue since ordering raw metal. Rails arrived in perfect condition. Big bag o parts, I'll say it's all there, hard to tell since I have not made an attempt at putting it together other than letting my 5 year old color on the box....

Did the phh which wasnt very pesky since i bypassed the metal line. Did all the brake hoses and rear brakes. Fun times.

Also a tip for anyone removing any hose you wont be reusing. An old trick is to cut a parallel slit into the section that was clamped to the nipple. Use one of of those rectangular "cocaine" blades. It will make your life easier.

Mine has been sitting in the garage for weeks now...UPS managed to loose the first one but Zach got a second one out super quick and all arrived safely. No instructions but not a big deal for most here I imagine, kind of a one direction only deal.

I ordered raw metal sides and front so no PC loss issues. Packaging/PC protection may need to be upped from what I could tell though not my issue since ordering raw metal. Rails arrived in perfect condition. Big bag o parts, I'll say it's all there, hard to tell since I have not made an attempt at putting it together other than letting my 5 year old color on the box....

Reason why I posted was because I helped QBall put his together and those were the issues I saw and wanted to make sure was pointed out so others knew ahead of time. I know QBall has already discussed these things with the Prinsu Design.

Took me from work to home so I could camp in my backyard. My son's bday request, he was thrilled about it.
camp.jpg

Last edited:
Did the phh which wasnt very pesky since i bypassed the metal line. Did all the brake hoses and rear brakes. Fun times.

Also a tip for anyone removing any hose you wont be reusing. An old trick is to cut a parallel slit into the section that was clamped to the nipple. Use one of of those rectangular "cocaine" blades. It will make your life easier.

Most of us just call it a single-edge razor blade....But not YOU! YOU go with your experience and call it a TOOL, since it has a specific purpose! :flipoff2:

Took the 80, sailboat and my roof top tent down to Ocean Springs Mississippi for another boat race. Race out to Horn Island were lunch was waiting and then race back. Then raced around Deer Island on Sunday. Camped out on the beach Saturday night. Ended up taking 3rd in the Hobie 16 class.

10984296_10204896676469189_6019804719975172456_n.jpg

11168857_1637139016544559_2147450338843386072_n.jpg

11011103_10204894740580793_247386600163469675_n.jpg

Spacers are the worst thing you can do, always better to run more negative offset, there are so many horror stories of driveline/spacer failure, not to mention completely illegal (over here anyway)
Yes! A buddy ran spacers on his Dana 44 jeep front with SS thornbirds and his knuckle separated from the axle housing on the trail. The ball joints were only a few months old.
A similar example of the eventual failure that wheel spacers will cause comes to all TLC Association members in an article found in the most recent issue of Toyota Trails. The authors front right tire fell off on the trail in Moab when all 12 bolts holding the spindle to the knuckle broke off the 1970 FJ40. This brings me to my next thought: Torque your nuts and bolts periodically.

@Plildoh

East Sacramento?

:hmm:

<screwed that up>

:doh:

Last edited:
Adjusted parking brake, lspv delete, ss axle to caliper lines.

I took my younger boy up into the hills above Santa Barbara to go ride Divide Peak (the ridge to left in the panorama here) - we ride here a fair amount and most of the time, with a dawn start, we're the only ones up here. However, this weekend was the Santa Barbara 100 ultra marathon, and the hills were crawling with runners about 55 miles into the race. And of course the rangers were out, and of course, my new green stickers for both 2-strokes which needed to go on the bike July 1 were sitting in the house below at the beach and not on the forks, and of course Mr Ranger decided he'd better check the bikes - "no sticker, no ride". Not worth arguing about it, and it was probably a blessing in disguise as we were about to braaaap straight up the same route the runners were scrambling down. Beauty day anyway, and we ended up chasing dolphin on the SUPs instead. Cruiser played sherpa all weekend.

IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg

Last week with my 2 sons (Trinity forest, norcal):

trin15c.jpg

trin15a.jpg

trin15e.jpg

This past w/end. Changed f/r diff fluids and xfer case fluid and pumped some grease into the knuckles.

cheers,
george.

Helped a buddy of mine install an Led bar on his tacoma, repaired my leaking driver side knuckle, fixed a coolant leak that started on the way to rubithon, then installed my safari snorkel. Thanks @orangefj45 for letting me borrow the correct sized hole saw.
kTPOERuDgaitrL7Ozf0Z8TViZVS3A3KyLCc8ZyPpDz65XWAyuaBFAM1Pi-3-eiPYBy6PEuYpa1Bbqx4Tjn6K4DgA1wijJ9JjKq56b4Z5yjsnOz4JPjdekCDCAHLMw8xboeFG028

bWJoe1Hs85Eju13OyE9AeQqpjkguHbwJF0YuVvCu6vGmoFMA8m7Y9LFbG21j-JD_4ZNm2H1Jm6rq84c5n6EaUY43VyLmuFPMJstGkubA2ZVfC5LqVOtTbRVAjaYaww1LnVKoGpA

k7vEGvKymHGKRk5aFIX0cazRqgTRjgDpCWx9-vqbFDsq6wL_mKOF7sK_q35IquXzD_zuJWLU4fwqSMraBhdZAfAJJpTU1VQ3YsoG43qTCw66rMCDfEwGzeFKbsU4_GSdZq3Y71o

Iv9elOqltxxanv9K0iNiLWInyAZtDXhEP8fZe30SqrTxM1KvOTIdDRaTWLt93JosMMW7xnQgC71aUgP1anFVMojxbo6YR3ZwAw-Xq7Mf-CA_gbvbKow0UUj0VsRtJdLHpmphDrU

Lr2OjHYpb4NqfXFC7Kb3ozWWzeKpLAm53JbWTFictMLVHBIDJBuDLtU8H2SvGvfk8jDYvTH3iA5Z3o6O_rVnTwdBvoRVdn_6KSIwjdLzqdMKhxnADdsOO3XpfX63avQSERhDDgA
Nice to see that 60 parked in your driveway too. As much as I love my 80, a 60-series was my first TLC and will always have a special place in my heart.

I identified that it wasn't the motor but the switch for my driver's window not wanting to move. So I ordered a new switch. Today it started working again as I accidentally rolled down my windows. Guess what showed up in the mail today...

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437000075.367766.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437000087.934181.jpg

Got a new booster from Napa, and painted it over the weekend, then installed Monday after work. Still need to finish bleeding the brakes. Toyota's parts system did not show any in the U.S.A. and the reman unit was significantly lower cost, but came in raw metal.

IMG_6420.JPG

IMG_6422.JPG

I did get some newer meats a couple weeks ago, a set of used 305/70R16 KM2s on Tacoma wheels. The wheels (with old Cruiser tires) will be going on my little trailer, but the 4 tires went on the 80. I picked one of the 285s to keep as a spare.

IMG_6424.JPG

It doesn't look much different, they're just a little wider. There is less tread, but less miles/age means a safer tire. I wasn't trusting the old ones after losing a tread. Here's a shot next to my '82.

IMG_6425.JPG

Got a jump on the weekend with a quick dawn patrol session at Gilgo State Park

20150715_095355_resized_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom