What did you do on your 70 series today? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The fan in the hj75 only had the two fast speeds working so pulled the resistor and the middle coil had overheated and broke. I had a good 60 series resistor so decided to rebuild the hj75 with the 60 coils. The coils are a lot thicker but It works well on all four speeds.

View attachment 1260256
I've experienced this on several of my Cruisers. Seems to be a common ailment.

Hopefully the thicker 60 series coils will help keep the heat down but my truck had a blockage near the resister that would have overheated the coils.

Finally changed my wheels from 15" to OEM 16" steelies with the help of ih8mud member @cwwfj60 at Performance Cruisers in Boerne, TX.

The 15" alloys my cruiser came with were mismatched with one of them being the incorrect offset and would rub if pushed up enough. It got annoying so I had Performance Cruisers source and build a set of the 16" steelies for me. I really like these new wheels.

Before:
IMG_1702_zpsltyi2ssw.jpg

During install:

IMG_1703_zps3754xq9i.jpg

IMG_1712_zpsp1sgl0mm.jpg

IMG_1714_zpsox2fxndq.jpg

At home:
IMG_1720_zpssxgoie2o.jpg

IMG_1723_zpskvlyfpgv.jpg

What did I do on my 70 series.... went away for a four day 4wding trip, ripped off both left hand side flares and dented the left hand door, all on some unseen obstacle in a long mud hole. I H8 mud!.

Managed to recover the flares at least, although they'll need a fair amount of repair work.

Wondering if they ripped off at the body taking the concealed clip with them? and did it damage the arch of the body?
I am thinking of using all aluminium rivets because they are weaker and should not create as much damage to the body if ripped off?

Wondering if they ripped off at the body taking the concealed clip with them? and did it damage the arch of the body?
I am thinking of using all aluminium rivets because they are weaker and should not create as much damage to the body if ripped off?

I'm 6000km from home at the moment but I'll grab some photos when I get home. Mostly tore the brackets off with the flares.

Pulled down a couple of small Maples and a small Ash against their favor (Small = ~40 feet tall ~10"DBH)….…Sorry no photos…Working a couple of larger pines (will measure but first guess is ~80 feet tall ~36" DBH - we'll see what the 70 gets to tug or persuade during this next effort….

Well, that's certainly not a bad way to spend an evening!

I drove 40 minutes one-way to look at my cruiser with its damaged a/c liquid line.
The a/c shop is welding a patch over the hole the block heater wore in the pipe.

Welding up some doors for summer time use. Putting a soft top on as well. That's going to take some time! Have to fabricate all the Hardware. o_O
Frames will be painted white with stainless steel screens held on with orange fender washers.
Just need to figure a latch system and weld on prior to paint.

Doors(1).jpg

Hey FJ
You wouldn't happen to have some pics of the frame work for your soft top?
I have a bj74 that I'm fitting a soft top to. It's a factory top but no sure if I understand all the mounting points. I can fabricate most hardware if I have decent pics of it. Thanks in advance for any help (y)

Finally changed my wheels from 15" to OEM 16" steelies with the help of ih8mud member @cwwfj60 at Performance Cruisers in Boerne, TX.

The 15" alloys my cruiser came with were mismatched with one of them being the incorrect offset and would rub if pushed up enough. It got annoying so I had Performance Cruisers source and build a set of the 16" steelies for me. I really like these new wheels.

Before:
IMG_1702_zpsltyi2ssw.jpg

During install:

IMG_1703_zps3754xq9i.jpg

IMG_1712_zpsp1sgl0mm.jpg

IMG_1714_zpsox2fxndq.jpg

At home:
IMG_1720_zpssxgoie2o.jpg

IMG_1723_zpskvlyfpgv.jpg
[/Q

Just finished welding up a bumper that looks very similar to that! :)

Hey FJ
You wouldn't happen to have some pics of the frame work for your soft top?
I have a bj74 that I'm fitting a soft top to. It's a factory top but no sure if I understand all the mounting points. I can fabricate most hardware if I have decent pics of it. Thanks in advance for any help (y)

Jonnyz,

I have never taken the soft top off so I don't have any pics of the framework without the top. I was planning on doing it very soon so I can take pics if you want me to then. If you are in a rush for pics, there was an old ebay ad of a FJ73 for sale that had pics of the top removed. Framework on that one matches mine.

Ebay Link: 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser

Did you buy the original soft top already?

^^someone got a heck of a deal, but I wonder why it didn't come with the soft top doors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom