Why is/was there no Diesel's yota sold in USA! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I search yota stuff all the time.....like most of us here on MUD. It always drives me crazy when I watch a vid from out of US and hear the turbo whistling or just the sound of a diesel. What is the reason we have all been deprived in buying a US sold diesel?????? I want one so bad. So expensive in the US to turn one into a diesel. AND IMO we shouldnt have to. Oh well just a rant after watching a 80 whistling up a mountain in B.C.

If you really want to get into it, search the internet on why diesel fuel prices are manipulated, why the Fed officials put heavy restrictions on the engine emissions such that it makes it cost prohibitive to meet. Most manufactuers simply refuse to go down that path.

Ask why don't US manufacturers put a diesel in their vehicles as well. Other than trucks, where is GM, Ford or Dodge on diesels for their vehicles?

This topic is better suited to another section but relevent since one would be so nice in a well built 80 series rig...

My understanding is that the EPA particulate emission standards are tighter than most countries standards. I remember a press release from BMW several years ago stating their commitment to marketing diesels in the US but that it was going to take them at least two or three years to come up with an engine that would pass the regulations. I think they now sell a diesel X5 in the US but no sedans whereas in Europe their diesel sedans have a very large market share.

I'm guessing between the technological challenges and the perceived small market in the US that Toyota doesn't think it's worth the effort.

This topic has been discussed many times in Chat, in the 70 section, in the Diesel section, ad infinitum.

Search will reveal tons of discussions.

In a few more years, we'll be able to import diesel 80's.

Politics. Same reason natural gas vehicles are unknown in this country.

My understanding is that the EPA particulate emission standards are tighter than most countries standards. I remember a press release from BMW several years ago stating their commitment to marketing diesels in the US but that it was going to take them at least two or three years to come up with an engine that would pass the regulations. I think they now sell a diesel X5 in the US but no sedans whereas in Europe their diesel sedans have a very large market share.

I'm guessing between the technological challenges and the perceived small market in the US that Toyota doesn't think it's worth the effort.

BMW makes a 335d, sold at your local BMW dealership.

This is a maddening topic to me.
Why is it that all the American cars have diesels all over the world except north America?
Chevys have little 3 or 4 cylinder cars that get nearly 800 miles to a tank. Seen them in oz, Europe, and central/south America.
In panama on a recent trip, all of the 4runners, new and old, xterras, cruisers, vw's, we're all diesel......and...... STANDARD!!!!!!!
Yeah, I said that bad word.
Politics is the big reason... They are making itvery cost ineffective to bring these vehicles in and meet all of the standards set by the country, state, province.
You can hold your breath until you are blue in the face, with hope of a sweet diesel car/suv but for now, nothing will ever change.

We have plenty of both .. most of the Trucks and SUV are diesel just coz they offer better mpg but most of the conmuters ( small gassers ) are gas ..

There are few skodas TDI down here .. but are not really populars .. as same as nissan Xtrails or Hyundai Tucson ..

i would guess that it has a lot to do with the fact that tractor trailers suck up most of your diesel fuel supply moving food and other resources around. diesel prices pretty much doubled when every contractor and their brother started buying domestic one tonne diesels.

Vehicles 25 years or older can be imported into the US that were not approved for sale in the US market. In Canada its 15 years. I think the HDJ81 - a diesel 80 came out in 1990 so +25 = 2015

Try being in Japan and seeing sick 80 series Land Cruisers decked out with OEM parts all of which we will never have or see in a dealer. It drives me insane, i would have rather not know what everyone else gets lol, I feel like a fat kid looking at candy behind a glass window. Try 80 with lockers, turbo diesel, center fridge, and low miles. There everywhere here, speaking of we don't get any of the other cool vehicles toyota sells either, they have a plethora of small commuter cars and XB style cars, most have GPS and Diesels. sigh back to reality.

Why is/was there no Diesel's yota sold in USA!

Basically ,your gasoline prices have been the lowest of the western countries. Australian and Europeans drive them because they use less fuel,my guess is that most americans could not live with a 1HZ or even a 1HD T because they are used to driving v8 engines with capacities upwards of 350 ci.

When GM did release some diesel cars back in the late 70s,they were not the greatest diesels but the lack of training given to staff really killed them off and left a lasting impression on americans.

There are lots of small diesel cars out there that get 40-50 mpg but they are tiny and again ,americans probably wouldnt want them even if they were avaliable
A friend of mine recently returned from Europe to visit his relatives. He told me next time he goes ,he wont have his inlaws driving him around because their cars were all tiny little things.

Rosco,
I have to disagree with you about the tiny cars. Yes they have a huge market for small diesel cars, because of commutes, traffic, and volume, but they do have some bigger SUVs too.
Just look at a land rover. I know it's a land rover, shame on me.
When I bought my defender a few years back, second hand I had the options of 100,200, or 300tdi, a td5, and a couple others to choose from. What did north America get? Big v8s!!!!! Woohoo
Look at all the different cruiser versions in Europe, and mostly all diesel.
Again, the market is for smaller faster cars, but they do have a large market for the sought after trucks.

I'm a diesel man through and through, but big V8's are way better than diesels if one doesn't have to pay the fuel charge.

Chat.

I have to disagree for a few reasons...

The first is anticipated need versus real need. I have a turboed 2B and it gets me around fine. I have to plan on being a little late on longer trips, but it gets me and my load there fine. We have a craving for more power, not a need. Even these big a$$ diesel pickups that pull trailers all over the place expect to go up hill at full highway speeds. Some even want to pass other drivers with a 5th wheel camper and 4wheelers in tow! While I know that everyone wants to go fast, and get to their destination sooner, do they really NEED all of that power.

The second thing is diesels are actually cleaner for the environment. Less oil is needed to make it vs gas, and it puts out less harmful greenhouse fumes. My old 2B turboed (and adjusted to not blow black) is better for the environment the Honda Accord.

I won't get into the political crap as I feel the whole system is corrupt and broken and serves the companies more than the people of (put your country name here - but especially the US!).

I'm a diesel man through and through, but big V8's are way better than diesels if one doesn't have to pay the fuel charge.

Chat.

You'd be drooling over the V8 turbo diesel cruisers then.:D

There are lots of small diesel cars out there that get 40-50 mpg but they are tiny and again ,americans probably wouldnt want them even if they were available.

How about the Jetta and Audis? Mercedes also. These are not small vehicles. GM is making a diesel car in a year or two. They run cleaner than gas engines and get 45-50 mpg. I'd buy one in a second but Toyota doesn't have a Diesel car yet. When they do I will buy one. Hopefully a Tacoma Diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom