Shake Out Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We were out in the general area on Sunday for the inaugural trip for my friend's new Rubicon. We ran Bloody Basin from West to East, and came through that general area North of Seven Springs on our way back. Here's a picture of his Rubicon on the rock hills to the West of Seven Springs Rd:
e87thv.jpg

(Saddletramp - this is Charlie's new rig.)

Bloody Basin would make a great 'stocker-friendly' run that nobody could get into trouble on - we saw a number of cars on it, and it's in great shape with only one concrete dam water crossing on the Agua Fria about 10mi in (from the West).

Bloody Basin would make a great 'stocker-friendly' run that nobody could get into trouble on - we saw a number of cars on it, and it's in great shape with only one concrete dam water crossing on the Agua Fria about 10mi in (from the West).

We only saw one vehicle all day. It was parked near the beginning of 468.

Charlie has a nice Rubi. I have a friend who bought a red one. Oh well. :meh::cheers:

I seemed to make a real dent in the rubbing up front. Now, I've discovered the back wheels rub too.

I don't know if I need taller bump stops or a body lift or both.my goal is/was 35's on this vehicle...these are only 285/75's.

IMHO body lifts are bad bad bad. Zero change in suspension (such as more travel = better articulation = chances of better traction, since your tires are in contact with the ground... and it gets the body AND the frame and drivetrain higher up.

What suspension lift do you have? Don't be shy about trimming plastic. It's only plastic...

Bluesdawg (and his trusty 80) was there to offer prompt rescue.
Also along, were our two 4 year olds (Sam and Greyson)

I believe "Crusty" and "Dusty" would be more descriptive than "Trusty":D. Especially with 2 - 4 year olds:eek:

Actually was a great day - and we met at 10:30 not 11:00!

It was FR 468 and was newly signed. I need to track it on Google Earth - I could see it on mapquest's satellite view just south of FR 41, but it is hard to tell road from wash...

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO body lifts are bad bad bad. Zero change in suspension (such as more travel = better articulation = chances of better traction, since your tires are in contact with the ground... and it gets the body AND the frame and drivetrain higher up.

What suspension lift do you have? Don't be shy about trimming plastic. It's only plastic...

Thx for your advice/opinion. I have a Sonoran steel lift. Which I believe is 80 or Tundra springs. I really like the ride...I had 4:88's put in the axles and I would like a taller tire :). I will see if I can trim more plastic (and chrome).

I used to be against body lifts and wheel spacers. But, I may end up with both. :doh:

Not sure why my post looks like its all a quote? I seem to have some IH8MUD mobile app problems - but we all have problems, thats why we are here, right?

I believe "Crusty" and "Dusty" would be more descriptive than "Trusty":D. Especially with 2 - 4 year olds:eek:

Actually was a great day - and we met at 10:30 not 11:00!

It was FR 468 and was newly signed. I need to track it on Google Earth - I could see it on mapquest's satellite view just south of FR 41, but it is hard to tell road from wash...

I was going to look it up on google earth and garmin's base camp too. Just haven't been inclined to "web wheel". Is that web wheeling? Or route planning :). I say we head back out there sooner or later. I know you wanted to take Sam on a mining trip, so we'd be up for that too. They seem to like rocks.

IMHO body lifts are bad bad bad.

Agree that they are overdone, most are too tall, but they have their place, can be used to an advantage, especially on an IFS rig.

Zero change in suspension (such as more travel = better articulation = chances of better traction, since your tires are in contact with the ground...

Maybe, but... When fitting large tires, there are choices to reduce rub, cutting body, bump stops and body lift. Most only want to cut so much body, so settle for bump stops. By adding a small body lift (~1") and shorting the bump stop extensions, some of that travel can be recovered.

and it gets the body AND the frame and drivetrain higher up.

Nope, that would apply to suspension lift. A body lift only raises the body, so has less impact on the center of gravity. Everything is a compromise, in this case, doesn't raise the frame, drive train, so most clearance measurements don't improve.

Except that body lifts do NOTHING to improve the suspension performance. It's simply impossible to expect otherwise. Ain't gonna happen.

There's a bunch of IFS suspension lifts that actually work quite well. Total Chaos, All-Pro, just to name 2.

And a suspension lift DOES raise the body and the drivetrain. Not the axles, larger diameter tires are required for that.

I'm not saying he should go with 12" lift... but he wants to run 35s on a 3rd gen 4Runner. A mild suspension lift and a body lift isn't gonna do it. Well, sure I guess it would if he removes the bumpers, adds bigger bump stops to keep the tires out of the sheetmetal, adjust the steering stops, etc.

Sure, run a body lift. Cause it's just so much fun to relocate / lengthen the fuel filler, relocate the radiator, the shifters (if not cable actuated) are shorter now, the bumpers and sliders look goofy... no work whatsoever.

Or, just get a proper suspension lift. :idea:

Except that body lifts do NOTHING to improve the suspension performance. It's simply impossible to expect otherwise. Ain't gonna happen.

Correct,,, well except in some cases, will allow more travel to be used. In almost all cases, bigger tires will make a rig more capable. The jump from 33" to 35" is huge in capability. If it can stuff a 33", the move to a 35" often needs ~1" of bump stop. If the body is lifted 1", often can eliminate the bump stop extension, allowing more usable travel.

There's a bunch of IFS suspension lifts that actually work quite well. Total Chaos, All-Pro, just to name 2. ...

Agree, there are lots of lifts.:meh:

On an IFS rig, the biggest limiting factor is the CV axle angle. So unless the axle is changed, all of the lifts are very close in ride height and travel range, they have to be for the CV joints to have a prayer to live. This is why bigger tires are the most effective way to increase capability, the recipe to get it done is very similar for any of the lifts.:meh:

I'm not saying he should go with 12" lift... but he wants to run 35s on a 3rd gen 4Runner. A mild suspension lift and a body lift isn't gonna do it. Well, sure I guess it would if he removes the bumpers, adds bigger bump stops to keep the tires out of the sheetmetal, adjust the steering stops, etc.

Lots of 3rd gen owners have run/wheeled 35" tires very successfully without the significant FUD that you are predicting.

Sure, run a body lift. Cause it's just so much fun to relocate / lengthen the fuel filler, relocate the radiator, the shifters (if not cable actuated) are shorter now, the bumpers and sliders look goofy... no work whatsoever.

Any lift, big tire setup involves work. A mild body lift doesn't need most of the FUD that you are spreading. If you are limited to credit card builds, you don't have much choice and the stuff is going to look "goofy". If you have fab skills, (like JJ) it's much simpler to change the slider, etc, mounts to make them fit, than to cut out, change the wheel wells, etc. Often, slider, etc, mounts are simpler to make (straighter), will be stronger and have more clearance with the body lift.

Or, just get a proper suspension lift. :idea:

So, now, the lift that JJ has isn't "proper"? Why, because it isn't what you would choose, or do you have a more reasonable/solid explanation? In my experience, it is a very well known/developed lift, that is used by many who aggressively wheel with big tires. Has proven to be a very good lift that wheels well and has relatively civilised road manners/ride.:confused:

Correct,,, well except in some cases, will allow more travel to be used. In almost all cases, bigger tires will make a rig more capable. The jump from 33" to 35" is huge in capability. If it can stuff a 33", the move to a 35" often needs ~1" of bump stop. If the body is lifted 1", often can eliminate the bump stop extension, allowing more usable travel.

Agree, there are lots of lifts.:meh:

On an IFS rig, the biggest limiting factor is the CV axle angle. So unless the axle is changed, all of the lifts are very close in ride height and travel range, they have to be for the CV joints to have a prayer to live. This is why bigger tires are the most effective way to increase capability, the recipe to get it done is very similar for any of the lifts.:meh:

Lots of 3rd gen owners have run/wheeled 35" tires very successfully without the significant FUD that you are predicting.

Any lift, big tire setup involves work. A mild body lift doesn't need most of the FUD that you are spreading. If you are limited to credit card builds, you don't have much choice and the stuff is going to look "goofy". If you have fab skills, (like JJ) it's much simpler to change the slider, etc, mounts to make them fit, than to cut out, change the wheel wells, etc. Often, slider, etc, mounts are simpler to make (straighter), will be stronger and have more clearance with the body lift.

So, now, the lift that JJ has isn't "proper"? Why, because it isn't what you would choose, or do you have a more reasonable/solid explanation? In my experience, it is a very well known/developed lift, that is used by many who aggressively wheel with big tires. Has proven to be a very good lift that wheels well and has relatively civilised road manners/ride.:confused:

Whatever. I don't like (and did have, and removed, and was glad I did) a body lift on a previous FJ40. I wouldn't recommend one. Some people like them. Again, whatever. I'm out.

Whatever. I don't like (and did have, and removed, and was glad I did) a body lift on a previous FJ40. I wouldn't recommend one. Some people like them. Again, whatever. I'm out.

Overall, I agree, they are way overused, often hacked, have removed several. But, in some applications, can be an advantage/beneficial if done properly. I have also installed several conservative ones and likely will be putting one on a FJ40 in the near future.:hillbilly:

jj, you never mentioned what you did shake out of the truck, after all :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom