Builds Lexus lx450 chinook expedition vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in the expedition forum but thought it fits here also. Here is the link.....

Expedition Builds

Its on its way but will lay idle for 3-4 weeks until i get back to AZ again...
In the 4-5 days I have had to work on it I tried to plow through as much as possible.

I have cut the 80 body to the floor.
removed camper from the 76 toyota pickup
replaced the camper floor with 1 1/4 trailer ply...:eek: solid
removed all camper hardware so it can get fiberglassed
welded a subframe with storage boxes accessible from inside.
built a internal square tube roll cage with grab bars.

Im not sure which area is best to post updates so let me know where you guys want to see it for those who want to follow along.
2012-05-02 11.57.21.jpg

Bring that sucker over to the CSC meet when you get it done. We'd love to get a closer look.:cool:

I keep dreaming of doing something like this. Now, seeing it, I'm not so sure. :hmm:

I so wanna see this thing do some epic trails. Trailer sliders anyone:popcorn:

These things are bad enough on gas. :flipoff2:

But to each their own! You are more adventurous than I.

Im not sure how much different the truck will be on gas compared to my other LX. Between the doors, rear hatch, body, seats, etc. Ive already lost a lot of weight. The Chinook body itself is relatively light for its size. We shall see once the water tank and interior are put in... but could be an incentive to drop a diesel in.:grinpimp:

Guys nocking the looks... come on! have some vision:flipoff2: This thing will be amazing once its done. Im in the design field. i don't like things that look fugly! The aluminum is getting annodized. Truck and camper will be painted/lined an olive/tan. Storage boxes will be made to fill the space below the camper and around wheel wells and yes sliderssssss... i already have a winch for the front.
I spend any time I can hunting, fishing, exploring and I cant think of a better setup for doing that than above. I already have a trailer setup which is great for larger elk camps and such but not if your solo or with your :princess:.. I love my other lx also but now ill be able to cook, wash, sleep in complete comfort. Plus have all the storage i could possibly need.

I like it!

I've seen that truck in the link before but it looks really top heavy to me. I like the idea of a popup which makes it look more balanced when traveling. The camper in the link looks a little bulbous to me but yes retaining the four doors would be nice. I have another chinook in NY and ive sat in it and it seems like the perfect amount of space for what I need while still retaining a SUV like body and appearance. The truck is not really much bigger than a larger SUV and should be much more capable offroad after its lifted.

WTF

I am kind of surprised by the lack of enthusiasm this is getting from some. If you pull this off and it looks and functions well when you are done, it could be amazing.
Subscribed!:popcorn:

Funner said:
I am kind of surprised by the lack of enthusiasm this is getting from some. If you pull this off and it looks and functions well when you are done, it could be amazing.
Subscribed!:popcorn:

Looks like it could be very cool if the finish and details come together!

I like it, break that carbon copy 80 build that everyone does and do something different!

Subscribed

If the color was a closer match I think it would look acceptable. But it's not real about the looks. If that is the function you want out of your 80 go for it.

Don't get ahead of ourselves

Guys.. this is just a preview so you all could envision the concept- basically get an idea of the dimensions of the chinook on the 80 frame. This is nowhere near complete so please hold off on the color matching and detail comments just yet.:D

The ENTIRE project will be color matched to a metallic olive/tan color. This includes the material on the popup. All aluminum parts will be anodized black. The camper is is getting fiberglassed which includes covering all the holes you see on the side and the wheel wells. Im probably going to beeline the entire rig but need to make sure it color matches correctly. This isn't going to look like a slap stick looking build when its done. It will be modeled after my existing LX wherein Im after a clean, streamlined built rig that has lots of functionality but also has those things well integrated.

As i spend more time working on it I will try to thoroughly document. For my style of roaming and expeditioning i honestly don't see a better setup for ease of setup, smallish footprint and off road capability (aside from adding a diesel). Its obviously not going to be a rock crawler but i have another LX450 if i want to do that.:grinpimp:

anyway, ideas are welcome....

This looks like a great project. Did you think about splitting it down the middle to make a bit more narrow and trail worthy? You loose some space but less of a compromise trail wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom