new scan gauge mounting solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
Wheres the scan gauge:D
IMG_2978.jpg

Dude!

Where did the vent go:flipoff2:

Looks clean, I have been kicking around finding a new spot for the scan gauge as well.

That's definately nice and clean. Did it just happen to be the exact same size as the vent, or did you have to do some trimming.

Now, how much are you going to miss that vent this summer? At least the scangauge won't have to worry about overheating.

there was a far amount of trimming and some bondo work but over all its nice and clean. dont imagine ill miss the vent much as now the other vents blow nice and hard.

I like it! I'm working on something for mine as well, I'll post a pic when I'm done (hopefully today)

LX, this needs write up of sorts. How you closed the vent, how it's mounted from the back, etc. Very clean indeed.

LX, this needs write up of sorts. How you closed the vent, how it's mounted from the back, etc. Very clean indeed.

if you pop out the dash piece youll see the vent has an attachment piece that you can use for a template. i just traced it out on some foam core and slid it into the opening the sealed the edge with some electrical tape. That sealed the vent hole.

Took my scan gauge apart (4 screws) and used the front as a template. Decided i wanted it lower so i took the dremel and cut the sape and size i wanted. To get a smooth edge i covered the face plate in plastic wrap then bondo the edges.

When its dry i poped out the scan gauge and sanded till smooth.

(key to getting a good finish is using 1000 grit at the end under the sink and its glass smooth)

paint and sand

Its really easy mod to do It took me about 5 hours total after class and most of that time was waiting for the paint to dry:cheers:
IMG_2988.jpg

I took a different approach to this, as I don't have the artistic talent nor the patience to work with bondo and paint. I copied an idea from the Electronic Toys section where JO MAOMA mounted the faceplate of his radio above his rear-view mirror. I used double-sided tape to attach the Scangauge and I found a bolt in the shed that worked for the ball mount on the rear-view.

I ordered the parts from gpscity.ca (good site for those above the 49th)

3 Item(s) Ordered:
1. RAM Mount Short Length Dual 1.0 inch Socket Arm
P/N: RAM-B-201U-A SKU: RAMB201A
QTY: 1
PRICE EACH: $8.95
ITEM TOTAL: $8.95

2. RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball
P/N: RAM-B-238U SKU: RAMB238
PRICE EACH: $5.95
ITEM TOTAL: $5.95

3. RAM Mount 10-24 Male Thread with 1'' Ball
P/N: RAM-B-260U SKU: RAMB260
PRICE EACH: $9.95
ITEM TOTAL: $9.95

Finished:
IMG_3356.jpg
IMG_3360.jpg
IMG_3361.jpg

I like both of them. Looks like the one on the mirror is a little less invasive. How did both of you handle the plug at the OBD? Just wondering cause I know it doesn't fit very well and hoping there have been some different ideas before I buy mine.

I like both of them. Looks like the one on the mirror is a little less invasive. How did both of you handle the plug at the OBD? Just wondering cause I know it doesn't fit very well and hoping there have been some different ideas before I buy mine.

just unscrew the 2 screws what hold the plug and push it back into the dash
:p

just unscrew the 2 screws what hold the plug and push it back into the dash
:p

LX

So you didn't have any issue with the plug? I have seen posts on here where the cover has been cut out or the OBD has had to be rotated somehow to allow the cover to fit back on. If you didn't have any problem with it that is good news. Getting the cover to fit back on and where to mount it has been holding me back from buying one.

Thanks....

SC

LX

So you didn't have any issue with the plug? I have seen posts on here where the cover has been cut out or the OBD has had to be rotated somehow to allow the cover to fit back on. If you didn't have any problem with it that is good news. Getting the cover to fit back on and where to mount it has been holding me back from buying one.

Thanks....

SC

no issues at all, there are 2 screws that hold the trucks OBD plug im place un screw them and theres plenty of rom for the whole thing to slid back into the dash. plug in your guage and pop the cover back on no cuttin no problems.

Just a follow up to this, my double sided tape didn't work. Ten minutes in the sun and off it comes. I thought about screwing/bolting the Ram mount to the Scangauge but I wanted something less invasive. I came up with this solution.

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

Fifteen minutes with tin snips and a piece of roof flashing got me a rough draft, a few more minutes filing and tweaking and drilling and voila, no more tape!

awesome. thanks for the improved mounting tips. guess that gives me yet another little project :cheers:

thanks

So far I have seen 5 different mounting options:
• In back of the top of the steering wheel
• Above the mirror
• In the center vent
• Above the left side switch panels
• Inside the center shifter console under the ashtray

Are there any other possibilities out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom