Fairey Overdrive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dgangle

total rice
Threads
Don't have a pic, too bad cause I just got rid of one. But it it easy to identify, about the size of half a coffee can and bolts to the back side on the xfer case. Has a flat bottom. The unit doesn't affect driveshaft lengths. I used to have a electronic manual on the fairey, but if I still have it its on my computer at home. I'll see if I can dig it up when I get home from work.

OD Pic

Send me a pm with your email. I suck at re-sizing pics.

Check here:

http://www.faireyoverdrive.com/

A little off the topic, but ive been interested in an overdrive unit. I called fairey today to inquire about why they no longer make one for a LC. He said they still have all the tooling to remake them, but he didnt see enough market for em. He said he would need a min of a 100 unit order with money in hand at about $1300 a piece. Pricey!!

LMAO. I called him too today to see if he had any pictures. Nice guy but now I understand his comment on a recent flurry of Land Cruiser requests. Apparently when it rains it pours.

I'm sure it has been beat to death but I am too d amn lazy to search. Nobody else does anyway :) What's wrong with these units and why aren't people lined up to buy them? I guess on a rock crawing website people pay to go slow. I wanna go fast but not opt for the whole NV4500/H55/3:70 thing.

Assuming they're not junk/bad design, I'd considering buying one for $1300. I started this thread so I guess I can change the subject. Why are these or no longer made? The dude at Fairy said the demand is too low to justify. Is the demand low 'cause people don't NEED it or because people don't WANT it?

Last edited:
dgangle said:
What's wrong with these units and why aren't people lined up to buy them?

Have one in a 65 Series II, and have been into the one-piece Land Cruiser units.

Cost and Reliability.

They really are not that strong of a unit out of the box. Couple that with people installing them behind a V8 in a modified truck, and you will end up having nothing but trouble with them. They are noisy, and for the better part of 2Kus you are well on the way to installing a reliable overdrive in the form of a five speed transmission. The whole idea that it will pay for its self with fuel cost savings is a farce as well. (for both the overdrive gear box and the five speed)

One final commentary on this:

If there really was a market for something like this, don’t you think that the folks who are in business of providing aftermarket support for the Land Cruiser would have been all over this a long time ago?

:beer:

my understanding is that more people aren't running them because parts are not available, I know that I passed on one because what is the point of installing something that you can't get parts for.
I seem to recall that there is a weak spot, (or at least a wear prone one) but I am not sure just what. you might search the LCML, I think that there was a thread in the last couple of months about them.

FOD pics

Here are some poor resolution pics of the one I put in my 77 FJ40.
(My first post...I hope it works.)
PHOTO40.JPG
PHOTO28.JPG

Welcome.

Post up some more pics....

Can you get an clear ones? :)

As Poser said, it's a combination of cost and reliability.

When I bought my first unit back in 86 or 87, they were about 600 new, RETAIL. The 27% OD peaked my interest. What I discovered was that it dropped the RPMs TOO MUCH for my liking, below the best engine RPMS for my rig, resulting in minimal mileage improvements.

The unit failed after approximately 8 months. As I recall, there were 3 different failures, one of which was prolly my fault, the other two, anybody's guess.

I've disassembled and rebuilt about half a dozen units since I've had my shop, and had more of an opportunity to evaluate them against other gearboxes. There are definitely things that can be done during the building of the units to improve their chances of survival. There are still weaknesses.

One is the mainshafts, which are hollow, and nested one inside the other. Especially on the 4 speed models, the internal splines on the imput shaft wear out quickly, as their cross section is not nearly wide enough to distribute the load from the tranny. Also, because of space considerations, the roller bearings that support the output shaft on the imput shaft are extremely small in diameter. I have seen a number of these bearings fail, with resulting galling of the imput and output shafts as well.

The three shift dogs that help the shift sleeve 'float' its way across from standard drive to overdrive are hollow and prone to breaking off part of one end. The snap rings that hold the shift dogs against the sleeve are turned out at their ends, with the turned out sections riding in the hollows of the dogs. Consequently, when the ends break off of the dogs, the snap rings come out of place, the dogs cant to one side, and the OD will no longer shift. Purely luck of the draw whether or not you will be stuck IN or OUT of overdrive.

The most common failure is the internal locknut which secures the imput shaft of the OD to the tailshaft of the tranny. It is EXTERNALLY threaded to the INSIDE of the imput shaft, and is to be assembled with loctite. I have heard of several locknuts that came loose anyways!:eek:

I have NEVER offered a warranty for servicing a Fairey OD, but the last two customers that had me build them are both very satisfied.;)

Hth

Mark A.

Poser said:
Cost and Reliability.

If there really was a market for something like this, don’t you think that the folks who are in business of providing aftermarket support for the Land Cruiser would have been all over this a long time ago?

Great info. I knew there had to be good reasons or every vendor would offer it and everyone would have one.

FWIIW, the guy at Fairy in LA said he would be happy to run a batch for us. Send him $250,000 to hold with delivery of all 200 units when completed and there you go. He stated he's not in a position to fork out that kinda dough and isn't in the business of floor-planning them to the various vendors. With the great info that has been given in this thread it is no wonder why it isn't being done by anyone because it seems to simply not hold up.

To dgangle: If you or your buddy HAVE a Fairey in the pile of parts, I'd be interested in it. That applies to anybody reading this thread that might have one for sale.

I ran one mounted to a 3-sp tranny for about 8 years, and I BELIEVE it was installed many years before I got the rig. It ran flawlessly and silently. I mean it was really silent, and I wonder if any noisiness was due to the unit itself, or the installation, or worn t-case idler bearing, or low oil, etc. Personally, I found it to be bulletproof.

65swd45: Regarding your comments about the shift dogs and springs, I don't recall what the Fairey installation manual showed, but I found a Ford transmission manual, and one other gearbox manual (can't remember which), which both showed the assembly of a transmission synchroniser (which is what the shift dogs are part of) with the exact same dog and spring design, and both showed the "lip" on the spring you're speaking of resting OUTSIDE the dog, not into the hollow center. This would apply even pressure to the dog.

Again, don't know what the Fairey manual says, but there is documentation to a different method of assembly for a similar design.

Quote: 65swb45 The most common failure is the internal locknut which secures the imput shaft of the OD to the tailshaft of the tranny. It is EXTERNALLY threaded to the INSIDE of the imput shaft, and is to be assembled with loctite. I have heard of several locknuts that came loose anyways!

There is a second internal nut and a special lock washer that you seat with a punch after tighten the second nut against the first nut that bolts to the back of the transmission. It is really a one time use washer and should be replaced each time you pull the unit apart. You have to use a breaker bar or impact to get them off and damage the washer to where it won't hold tight a second time.

I won't be able to get any pictures until after Memorial Day but I have a few of these units for the three and four speed one piece transfer cases Also I do have some parts for them if you want a picture of any one part.

John

Poser said:
Welcome.

Post up some more pics....

Can you get any clear ones? :)

Thanks. Those WERE the clear ones :)

Ok, I tried to take some pics of it installed. This is as good as I could do.
I also threw in a cartoon from the manual.
IMAG0054.jpg
IMAG0048.jpg
fod1.jpg

buy a ranger torque splitter, stronger more reliable, best bang for the buck

Ok this thread is dead since early last year, but...

1. What is a ranger torque splitter?
2. Are there any new opinions on the Fairey Overdrive unit?

I have a 69 FJ55-3-speed column shift and seem to be suffering from serious high range low end torque troubles, since putting in a not so fresh F motor to replace my original F which almost died, (but got me home anyway!...think oil pump died and wasted the engine).
Got too many bucks into the change out to just dump it now, and no I don't want to put in a Chev V-8.

Would like to hear about other viable solutions, I am now running the orig 31's and pretty well stock except for electronic ignition and header, (cracked OEM exhaust manifold)
Any experience or suggestions welcome.
Thanks Kelly FJ55

I am now running the orig 31's
Thanks Kelly FJ55

Actually 31's are NOT stock. Stock was closer to about 29". The original tires were bias ply and I think the current similar size is a 235/75/15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom