More Power Puller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Did a search and nothing came up on the Power Puller, so I wanted to pass this along.

If you're in need of a come-a-long skip the cheapies and pick up a More Power Puller, the Hi-Lift equivalent of a hand winch. They're rated at either 2 or 3 tons and have 20 to 40 feet of 5/16" cable, depending on the model. I've had one about 3 years and it's been indispensible on several occasions.

The company's website: http://www.wyeth-scott.com/; a place to get them: http://www.cspoutdoors.com/morpowpul.html.
Power puller.jpg

what did you pay for it?

I've got one t0o.

This thing has saved my a** more than one time. It is on the heavy side, but for about $120.00, you can't beat it as a safety item. I've pullled my rig and many others through loads of deep mud with this thing. Sure, its not an electric winch, but you can't beat it for the price.

I went with the 3 ton model and paid about $130.

In one instance, while backing down an eroded road which crossed a creek, I ran the FJ60 up onto a halfway submerged log. The rocker panel was crushed and the Cruiser became stuck. The Power Puller was used to pull the log from beneath the Cruiser, but to keep the Cruiser in place, and to aid in pulling in away from the log, a chain and Hi-Lift were attached at the front left frame. A regular front mounted winch could have been used here but only by increasing the degree of body damage.
red stuck 4a.jpg

If you read the companies website the rating if for lifting, and its rating for dragging something is twice its lifting rating. So a 3ton puller will drag 6tons. I am hoping to buy one of these soon, been wanting one for awhile. With that kind of power it could be more versital than a front mounted winch.

Is this the same thing as a Tifor winch?

different system I think. Tirfor is not a comealong type with a spool. I think it works with jaws grabbing a cable in a linear mode. So you could use it over a very long cable I guess. But it's rated much lower IIRC.

doesn't Scott have a write up of the Tirfor on Exped W?

The Tirfor is not the same as a power puller. Black rat makes a winch based on the Tirfor concept. Expeditions West has a nice write up. I think the biggest advantage is that this type of winch can work with an unlimited length of wire rope. The rope passes through the winch--it doesn't wind on a spool like the power puller does. It's rated for lifting and works in both directions, and so does the power puller.

Godwin said:
Did a search and nothing came up on the Power Puller, so I wanted to pass this along.

If you're in need of a come-a-long skip the cheapies and pick up a More Power Puller, the Hi-Lift equivalent of a hand winch. They're rated at either 2 or 3 tons and have 20 to 40 feet of 5/16" cable, depending on the model. I've had one about 3 years and it's been indispensible on several occasions.

The company's website: http://www.wyeth-scott.com/; a place to get them: http://www.cspoutdoors.com/morpowpul.html.

I have had one of these in my garage for over 5 years. Used if for everything from lifting heavy items out of my M416 trailer to clearing trees to pulling bushes. Works very, very well as is unbelievably well built.

Troy

stinkyfj60 said:
If you read the companies website the rating if for lifting, and its rating for dragging something is twice its lifting rating. So a 3ton puller will drag 6tons. I am hoping to buy one of these soon, been wanting one for awhile. With that kind of power it could be more versital than a front mounted winch.

I don't doubt the puller is capable of handling those loads, but how hard would it be for a single person to operate that lever with a 4-5k load plus suction or over/up something?

Last edited:
we used to have a black rat hand-winch.... it was fantastic.
we left it behind when we left for central america to save weight. In retrospect, I would have preferred to have the hand winch instead of the electric winch up front-- lighter, less mods needed, and more versatile.

As for how hard to pull: my 110 lb wife had no trouble pulling a heavily loaded crusier up a very very steep driveway. No suction to overcome there, but I'd guess that the grade was over 25%. She did it one handed.

Which black rat hand winch? the 3500# or the 1750#?

sandcruiser said:
we used to have a black rat hand-winch.... it was fantastic.
we left it behind when we left for central america to save weight. In retrospect, I would have preferred to have the hand winch instead of the electric winch up front-- lighter, less mods needed, and more versatile.

As for how hard to pull: my 110 lb wife had no trouble pulling a heavily loaded crusier up a very very steep driveway. No suction to overcome there, but I'd guess that the grade was over 25%. She did it one handed.

I've been considering a winch and have been looking at these portable ones. My only concern is that you are directly exposed to the cable, how do you guys deal with the cable if it snaps?

Biff said:
I've been considering a winch and have been looking at these portable ones. My only concern is that you are directly exposed to the cable, how do you guys deal with the cable if it snaps?

catch it in your teeth, like Chuck Norris would do! :D

and this Powerpuller at $120, in what ways is it significantlly better than the average 4 tons comealong that one can get at HF etc for something like $40, since I imagine it is better?

e9999 said:
and this Powerpuller at $120, in what ways is it significantlly better than the average 4 tons comealong that one can get at HF etc for something like $40, since I imagine it is better?

You want to risk your life with a $40 HF piece of crap:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom