Trip Report - Second Annual 100s in the Hills (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jonharis

Adventure Imports
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I'd like to present to you this trip report for the second annual "100s in the Hills" The event has become a popular yet sometimes mysterious annual 100 series only gathering in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado. It all started when a few mudders began talking about meeting up in Ouray, Colorado for a weekend of wheeling. It turned out that there was much more interest in this than originally expected. Last years trip report can be found here. Lots of pics near the end of the thread. The second annual event brought back nearly all of the original members plus one new one. It proved to be an incredible time to share TECH about the groups different upgrades to their trucks. Not a single vehicle had exactly the same products installed and several included unique one-off modifications that were truly "artistically" implemented. Wheeling with many vehicles of the same make/model allowed for a truly one of a kind experience that we hope to expand on in the coming years. Most of the participants feel that the 100 series land cruiser represents the pinnacle. of Land Cruiser development. At the same time, some participants who own other vintages of LC as well brought other opinions to the table making the evening conversation interesting.

Finally, there will be a third annual event. It is already in the works and you will see a thread soon. Save the date for August 9-11. We are currently looking for additional sponsors to help cover the inevitable costs associated with bringing a large group together. We are looking for cash and product donations, especially those that can help us with necessities i.e. restroom facilities, communications, and of course swag. The goal is to make this event free or low cost to it's participants while encouraging support for the vendors that are involved with the community. In essence we are attempting to create a non-event, event without all of the typical vendor nights, catered meals, raffles, yadda yadda yadda that come with a larger gathering.

Now for the photos. You wont see any ridiculous HDR here and nothing has been Photoshopped, only lightly corrected/cropped images direct from the camera. I'll be posting the trip photos that I captured of the next few days. I have also asked other participants to share their photos and thoughts here.

I need to take a moment to thank our primary supporter Christo Slee of Slee Off-Road. We truly thank you for your support for this grassroots event!
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/

100sintheHills.jpg

I arrived on Wednesday and enjoyed a relaxing evening with my family in what I consider one of the best camp spots (don't ask where it is) in Colorado. This year's event was later than last years (and next year) but offered incredible colors and some snow covered peaks.

D7K_3328.jpg

D7K_3334.jpg

D7K_3335.jpg

We brought our Adrenalin Camper which proved to be well suited to high altitude/low temperature environments. The camper was recently outfitted with a Big Buddy heater which kept us warm through the night.

D7K_3342.jpg

D7K_3344.jpg

D7K_3355.jpg

D7K_3359.jpg

D7K_3367.jpg

On the road to camp. The road is steep and rough but some campers and any stock LC would have no issues on it.
D7K_3372.jpg

A few night shots of the first night at camp. Just us.
D7K_3739.jpg

D7K_3367.jpg

D7K_3801.jpg

D7K_3810.jpg

D7K_3814.jpg

Day 2 coming next!

Last edited:
As day two broke, we decided to head to the Ouray Hotsprings a great family friendly springs in the heart of Ouray which is nicknamed "The Switzerland of America" Ouray is a unique mountain town by Colorado standards in that it does not have a ski area and is more or less built out. it has retained it's small town charm and feel long after others have evolved into commercial giants.

Participants started trickling in and by that evening, a night run was in order. With others tired from the drive, two headed out into the darkness.
D7K_4851.jpg

back at camp....
D7K_4857.jpg

Day Three
The group, still compact headed into the Sneffels Range and proceeded up Yankee Boy Basin for some of the first tracks in days old snow. We visited Yankee Boy, Governor Basin and.....the Super Secret Run.

D7K_4865.jpg

D7K_4893.jpg

D7K_4894.jpg

End of the trail in Yankee Boy
D7K_4909.jpg

D7K_4923.jpg

D7K_4926.jpg

D7K_4931.jpg

D7K_4962.jpg

D7K_5057.jpg

D7K_5061.jpg

D7K_5069.jpg

A relaxing night back at camp.
D7K_6010.jpg

Stay Tuned for day 4.......

Awesome Jon! Wish we could have joined you guys.....we were just a few days behind.

Awesome pics bud.

^ ditto! Looks like it was a great time and perfect timing on the mountain fall colors.

Night run was epic...nice pics, really capture the artistic side of these trucks.......here are a couple of my pics, not even sure how to make them remotely close as yours, Jonathan....you forgot to mention the 100 series swap meet and the reverse light showdown, both new to this years event. Also, the LED swap mid trail that Shaggy helped me with....next year we need to install a lift or something for a new guy!
image-3342760587.jpg
image-1015467805.jpg
image-754552116.jpg

Nice pics, looks like you guys had a blast.

May have missed it, but what camera are you using?

^ We would love to see you there next year! Next years dates will be August 9-11th, an announcement thread will be posted next spring.

I wanted to take a second to thank our other sponsor Metal Tech 4x4 for their generous donation of swag! Check out MT's ever expanding array or 100 series products here. http://www.metaltech4x4.com/

Day444.jpg

Day 4.
This was our biggest day, we traversed the entire Alpine Loop which covers 65 miles of some of the San Juan's most scenic country.

We began the day by traveling up Mineral Creek, an area with some of the highest concentrations of mines from the turn of the century.

Day401.jpg

Day431.jpg

Traveling to Engineer Pass.

Day432.jpg

Day433.jpg

Day402.jpg

A great stop at "Oh Point" Waiting for all to get out of the shot.

Day404.jpg

My dog Kes and one of my daughters enjoying the view.
Day405.jpg

Day406.jpg

And then what we were waiting for.
Day434.jpg

Day407.jpg

Day408.jpg

Day409.jpg

Heading down the back of Engineer Pass, the views were vast.

Day410.jpg

Day435.jpg

Day436.jpg

A stop for Lunch in Lake City for some fried catfish and okra.
Day412.jpg

Last edited:
The sign for Cinnamon Pass marked the beginning of our second ascent. This is the easier of the two passes arguably passable by Subaru or domestic 4x4s. It was nonetheless just as scenic.

Day413.jpg

Day414.jpg

At the pass.
Day438.jpg

Day415.jpg

Day416.jpg

Day417.jpg

Day418.jpg

Snowball Fight!!!
Day419.jpg

Day420.jpg

Day421.jpg

Day439.jpg

We arrived at the town of Animas Forks, now just a few buildings in various stages of decay, was once a busy town of 450 people and included 30 cabins, a hotel, a general store, a saloon, and a post office.

Here is a photo from the early 1900s. Can you pick out the structures in the later pics?
Day425.jpg

Day440.jpg

Day441.jpg

Day424.jpg

Day423.jpg

Day442.jpg

Finally the view as we headed into Silverton for a round at Montanya.
Day443.jpg

Stay Tuned for Day 5...

Awesome!

Day 5:

Shaggy, Fubuki and I broke camp early, drove over Black Bear Pass to Telluride. Got Brunch. Drove up Imogene, had a near scare with things melting/catching fire & crossing a shelf road covered in snow with CDL engaged(no that wasn't me). Got to Ouray, filled tires. Drove to Ridgway, filled tanks. Drove home.
blackbear1.jpg
blackbear2.jpg

That looks like a great time. Can't wait for the Southern's trip out there next year.

Awesome! I'd love to go next year! But I don't have a trash-a-roo...:frown::lol:

Awesome photos Jon! I wish the dates would have worked out for me to join you guys this year. I have next years penciled in now! Hope to be able to join you then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom