Your Opinion: Top 5 Upgrades for FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think all of us agree that the FJ60 is an incredible vehicle.

I learned to drive in our FJ60 in La Paz, Bolivia, during the 1980s when my father was aerial mapping coca drug labs for DOD. It saved my ass when I rear-ended a Bolivian Cholo Bus (like the one below) -- I hit it hard and the bumper barely bent.

bus-bolivia-3.jpg

When my brother visited from the States, we snuck out the house and drove it up a dry river bed, and later it hauled part of my Boy Scout Troop to hike over a section of the Andes Mountains and travel the Ruta de la Muerte (the Death Route) when traveling to the jungle (Las Yungas).

About 5 years ago, I finally bought one (almost rust free except the well-known rust in the rear wheel well and a motor with 380,000+ miles) and started repairing the important stuff myself (OME suspension, water pump, carb, elec. fuel pump, complete brake and master cylinder overhaul) and planning for the rest. Cutting off the old frozen and flat suspension off was a beast, but I did it myself and I loved every minute of it.

I had to stop my restoration for the past three years -- I moved back overseas to work in Spain (I'm a historian) -- but just in two months I get started again and I can't wait.

I need your opinion and advice.

Although we agree the truck is great, we also know that there are a number of changes that can be pursued so that the truck is a better fit for the 21st century. For example, Saginaw vs. factory power steering pump if you increase tire size. Or, upgrading the alternator to support more electronics and brighter lights (?). Or, changing over to a Weber carburetor. Or, converting the AC over to R134.

So, from your perspective, what do you consider to be the 5 most important improvements you've made to your cruiser from a money perspective? Where did you feel you got the most bang for your buck?

thanks, r

Hi Roger. Great stories (both pics remind me of Romancing the Stone.)

So, from your perspective, what do you consider to be the 5 most important improvements you've made to your cruiser from a money perspective? Where did you feel you got the most bang for your buck?

I think you'll get more value added responses if you let the group know your intended usage. Is it to be a grocery getter (not likely), camping/fire roads, hard core rock crawling? Your location is listed as the Springs. Is that where the vehicle will be based?

Enjoy the journey.

That's good advice. I do live in Colorado Springs
Hi Roger. Great stories (both pics remind me of Romancing the Stone.)

I think you'll get more value added responses if you let the group know your intended usage. Is it to be a grocery getter (not likely), camping/fire roads, hard core rock crawling? Your location is listed as the Springs. Is that where the vehicle will be based?

Enjoy the journey.
and this is both my daily driver to work (just 5 miles) and a truck for exploring the Rockies' 14'ners Front Range (a little mountain driving and fire roads to go hiking and fly fishing). No rock climbing. So, this FJ60 is just going to be baby'ed.

1-Have JimC rebuild your carb (and avoid a Weber at all costs)
2-Overhaul steering with new TREs and maybe a new pump (Toyota pump is good, will last 150K)
3-Dual battery system/Fridge if you are camping out of this vehicle (alt upgrade rarely needed)
4-Decent but not oversized tires 31 inch BFG ATs are a good all around tire (Larger tires without regearing will suck at altitude)
5-Replace oil galley plug.

This list assumes all maintenance and repair items are up to date. When was your front axle (AKA knuckle job) last rebuilt? If never, I'd add that to the do now list.

Honestly, since you've been away from it, I'd get it running and driving and live with it for a year before major mods. And remember, the more you modify it, the less good it is at being a daily driver.

1-Have JimC rebuild your carb (and avoid a Weber at all costs)
2-Overhaul steering with new TREs and maybe a new pump (Toyota pump is good, will last 150K)
3-Dual battery system/Fridge if you are camping out of this vehicle (alt upgrade rarely needed)
4-Decent but not oversized tires 31 inch BFG ATs are a good all around tire (Larger tires without regearing will suck at altitude)
5-Replace oil galley plug.

This list assumes all maintenance and repair items are up to date. When was your front axle (AKA knuckle job) last rebuilt? If never, I'd add that to the do now list.

Honestly, since you've been away from it, I'd get it running and driving and live with it for a year before major mods. And remember, the more you modify it, the less good it is at being a daily driver.
---
Excellent advice. Thankfully, I have my neighbor drive the truck once a month and then I've been able to drive it about 3 weeks during each summer in the States.
  • Carburetor. Yes. I agree. I kept the original and rebuilt it with my neighbor (who rebuilds engines for a living).
  • Tire rod endings (yes!). I've been thinking about this. This will improve "play" when steering? I'm still learning.
  • Dual battery? Really, that will do more to brighten headlights, etc? Again, I am asking because I know what I don't know.
  • Tires. Good to know about 31s vs 33s.
  • Knuckles. Oh god, I can feel my hands getting sore already. Good, I've never done them. Again, why is the knuckle rebuild important?
Yes, I'd like to minimize modifications as much as possible, but also be reasonable. I'm not a purist.

Tire rod endings (yes!). I've been thinking about this. This will improve "play" when steering? I'm still learning.

Yes - and these trucks use a steering gearbox (not modern rack and pinion) so if steering is "sloppy" look at the entire system.

Dual battery? Really, that will do more to brighten headlights, etc? Again, I am asking because I know what I don't know.

Dual battery is to keep your primary/starter battery healthy so your truck starts in the morning. Run your fridge/accessories off the second battery while remote camping.

Although we agree the truck is great, we also know that there are a number of changes that can be pursued so that the truck is a better fit for the 21st century. For example, Saginaw vs. factory power steering pump if you increase tire size. Or, upgrading the alternator to support more electronics and brighter lights (?). Or, changing over to a Weber carburetor. Or, converting the AC over to R134.
r

Not sure about doing any of those except for better lighting. I removed my AC, smog pump and associated air lines. Now it's really easy to get around the engine compartment. Recently looked at a 2F-in comparison it's a real mess in there. Improved fusible link, new seat foam and covers for front seats, extended seat brackets for driver's seat, ARB front bumper and custom high school welding class rear bumper are my favorite mods.

I noticed your rig-red?-has the stinkbug going on. Maybe a replacement extra large fuel tank would bring it down a bit and give you a greater range.

My top 5:
Agree with ome 2” lift & 33’s
LED headlamp bulbs
Bmw front seats with torfab brackets
Stereo upgrade
On board air

Assuming everything else is well maintained of course

H55 Transmission
Traction aids (limited slip or lockers)
Mild Lift
31's on stock wheels
On board air

This is what I am doing anyway.

I noticed your rig-red?-has the stinkbug going on. Maybe a replacement extra large fuel tank would bring it down a bit and give you a greater range.

Wow, the smog pump and air lines is a huge job. Nice work!

Yes, I've purchased new carpet and plan to install this summer. I've already inspected the entire floor and repaired the minor rust (welded new pieces, primed, and then coated the floor with bedliner). The driver's seat is a wreck and reupholstery is planned after I make sure it is operating well after a few months. Yes, that is my ref truck with the stink bug look.

A long-range tank would be incredible especially because I drive down to New Mexico all the time! That's kind of hard to sneak into the house without my wife noticing...)

1984-FJ60-e1518636884390.jpg

My top 5:
Agree with ome 2” lift & 33’s
LED headlamp bulbs
Bmw front seats with torfab brackets
Stereo upgrade
On board air

Assuming everything else is well maintained of course

The lift and 33's just make the truck look great. When we live in Bolivia -- bigger tires were absolutely necessary. There were almost no paved roads.

LED head lamps. Nice! I ended up converting mine to halogen lamps.

That seating sounds luxurious!

Top 5?

I can tell you none of them are mods (being bumpers, sliders, winch or anything like that)

Engine wise mine is stock.

1. Rebuilt carb (keeping it Toyota)
2. New Seat foam
3. New Power steering pump (Toyota)
4. Rebuilt PS gear box
5. new carpet

Honorable mention
6. Full floater (I hate C-clips)
7. 5 speed would be nice, but most (including me) can survive with a 4-speed.

For me mods are personal preference and really for the most part on a DD, occasional exploring rig, not needed.

I have driven all over British Columbia in the mountains, mostly in 2wd vehicles. 1984 VW Rabbit (took me places 4x4's would have been afraid to go), A '90 something Tacoma 2wd that again went even more bad places.
I had Land Cruisers there (BJ series) and I can think of 2 times i was in 4wd. 1. pull some guy out of a snow bank 2. i was off roading in the snow. I never needed it 4wd to explore the back country.

So I am sure you will get a lot of things on here and in the end, only you can figure out what you want to do with your cruiser.

Tell me about why you chose the H55 transmission -- why that change makes sense for you?

Well Roger my rig is an FJ62 so it has an automatic transmission which I can't stand. So if I had a perfectly good 4 speed manual the priorities would be different. It's my understanding that on a 60 the H55 gives lower first gear and higher top gear (better highway performance.) You can get by perfectly fine as is.

In a 60 for your purposes the money would be better spent elsewhere in the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom