Writeup: 1988 FJ62 4WD Solenoid fix for $17.77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Randy I have tried looking but can't find anything - posted a picture in case anyone knows.

HoseGif.gif

Hope this isn't off topic but does anyone know what this vacuum switch relay is / does?

VacuumThing1.gif
Vacuum-thing-Location.gif

the first hose- the vacuum feed to the 4X solenoids- needs to go to a nipple in the intake plenum. I do not know what the vsv shown in pics 2 and 3 is for- my 88 doesn't have one there...

Hello all, I'm updating my original post, as I'm trying to understand what I did wrong with my '89 FJ. Today, I went through the steps to switch-out the old solenoid. Before this, my 4WD didn't work at all. With the new solenoid in, I fire it up and the 4WD button is in the off (our out position) but the light is on and 4WD is engaged. When I push the switch in, the light turns off and the 4WD disengages. Anyone have thoughts on the backwardness here?

Thank you in advance if you have any thoughts.

Last edited:
sounds like you have the vacuum lines reversed or the solenoids reversed.

I got the part today and did this in ten minutes. There are still some of the parts in the original post for $25.

It took me longer to find my grinder than to do the entire mod ! I replaced both of them.Works as it should .I firmly believe that with out this forum ,I would not be a Land Cruiser owner any more.Thanks

Randy,

Thank you for your original post. Saved me a lot of $ today, and took about 25 minutes!

Marc

Glad this thread is still pertinent and helpful.

Worked like a charm on my '89 FJ62. Used same part number in OP - 88690-89132.

The top valve (the blue one) only needed modification of the mounting bracket tab. The electical connector plugged right in without modification.

On the bottom valve (the red one), I had to modify both the mounting tab and electrical connector tab. Easy peasy.

Found a VSV that fits without any modifications to the mounting tab or plug.
The part number is 2586062010
It still has one of the vacuum nipples pointing 90 degrees from where it should be but lines reach fine.

DSC_1300.JPG

Found a VSV that fits without any modifications to the mounting tab or plug.
The part number is 2586062010
It still has one of the vacuum nipples pointing 90 degrees from where it should be but lines reach fine.

View attachment 1597382
I just finished cleaning and checking out that VSV (same part number) on my '86 FJ60, with a full 3FE transplant. It's the VSV for the High Temperature Line Pressure Up system, part of the fuel injection system. It's Part Code 17650 VSV (No. 1) in the lower right corner of this diagram:

FJ62 Vacuum Piping.png

Nice job. Going to do the same as I have the same issue on my 88 FJ 62. Is it working without an issue? Where did you get the VSV from?

Still working after all these years. I bought it at the dealer. Give them the P/N and they will quote you.

On my '88 FJ62 Just swapped out the red VSV with the "plug and play" part 25860-62010 mentioned above by MallardHJ61...4H button (and actual 4WD working by checking the driveshaft) and all is working beautifully now. Thanks to everyone for these forums and help!

Gday guys, I am hoping someone on here can help me, or point me in the right direction....
My 4WD solenoid is playing up (making a constant ‘clicking’ noise when driving over rough ground), so I would like to replace it with the ‘plug and play’ one mentioned above. The issue I am having is I am in Australia and they are stupidly expensive here! I called my local Toyota dealer and the price I got for the one mentioned above is $150, and the one the OP gave the part number for is over $500!!!!!
I am hoping I can pay someone on here to get one sent to Aus for a more reasonable price than what they want here!
Any help / contacts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Drew

Gday guys, I am hoping someone on here can help me, or point me in the right direction....
My 4WD solenoid is playing up (making a constant ‘clicking’ noise when driving over rough ground), so I would like to replace it with the ‘plug and play’ one mentioned above. The issue I am having is I am in Australia and they are stupidly expensive here! I called my local Toyota dealer and the price I got for the one mentioned above is $150, and the one the OP gave the part number for is over $500!!!!!
I am hoping I can pay someone on here to get one sent to Aus for a more reasonable price than what they want here!
Any help / contacts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Drew

Hey Drew,
I'm in OZ too... i've been buying my toyota parts thru amayama.. was $59 aus for the 25860-62010 part mentioned above. The reason why the proper landcruiser part is so expensive is that it's both the blue and brown VSV's and the bracket as well... you can't just buy the single brown VSV.
25860-62010 is very similar to the brown VSV but its off a totally different model.
The clicking is a bit weird though maybe you have a loose connection or a crushed wire... mine like almost everyone else had just burned out from being energized most of the time.

The brown VSV holds the transfer case into 2WD... the blue one holds it in 4WD. On mine the 2WD had burned out so it was stuck in 4WD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom