Writeup: 1988 FJ62 4WD Solenoid fix for $17.77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the write up. I just fixed mine and used the lines that came with the part to replace the surrounding vacuum lines as the ones on the truck were a little loose. Thanks again!
-Max

I CHanged out the vsv like the write up says and there is pressure at the vacuum ports but I can't get 4 wheel drive to engage and the 4 wheel drive light does not come on. Any ideas on how to get my 4 wheel drive working again

Put a vacuum pump on the 4wd vacuum valve at the t case see if turn on the 4wd if not problem is in the valve or t case of it does work the you got a vacuum leak or an electrical solenoid

I did mine a couple months ago and everything seems to be working but the light will not turn on. I've tested it a couple time in snow and mud. Seems to engage the t-case consistently but the light will not come on. I guess the next thing to do is check the bulb.

I found that Dorman part 911-605 is a direct plug in replacement. I picked up one from Amazon for $38.

chief tool said:
I found that Dorman part 911-605 is a direct plug in replacement. I picked up one from Amazon for $38.

I have been looking for a solution for that problem. I have one on the way. If it works, I will get a second for the parts drawer.

Yeah it works.

I bought two for the same reason as you, one for the part drawer in case the other one goes wrong.

Makes me wonder why Toyota squanders goodwill by trying to charge that huge premium for the original.

Blue VSV = 4WD ON; Red VSV = 4WD OFF. And no, manual 4 low will not engage manually if the blue valve is bad. To test the valves, bypass them by using a small rigid tube to join the vacuum hoses, taking the valves out of the loop. Only test one at a time! I had this problem recently and Josh from DIA Automotive in Virginia Beach talked me through it. Thanks Josh.

Blue VSV = 4WD ON; Red VSV = 4WD OFF. And no, manual 4 low will not engage manually if the blue valve is bad. To test the valves, bypass them by using a small rigid tube to join the vacuum hoses, taking the valves out of the loop. Only test one at a time! I had this problem recently and Josh from DIA Automotive in Virginia Beach talked me through it. Thanks Josh.

You can shift maually into 4Lo without the solenoids working. You cannot however shift into 4Hi without the solenoids. The 4Lo works off a shifting fork in the case and is engaged using the stick in the cab.

Randy: better late than never, but big THANK YOU for this great write up!!! It was very easy and local shop helped me modify vsv as needed. I dropped it right in and light went away. Simply Awesome!! Thanks again. FYI part available here in northern ca Toyota dealer for $29.15, so still good to go!

Randy: better late than never, but big THANK YOU for this great write up!!! It was very easy and local shop helped me modify vsv as needed. I dropped it right in and light went away. Simply Awesome!! Thanks again. FYI part available here in northern ca Toyota dealer for $29.15, so still good to go!

Glad it worked out for you. Seems the prices have gone up a bit but not substantially.

Paid $23.70 today. Thanks!

Just to confirm 4 low should always engage regardless of the valve condition?

Yes, manually moving the stick from 2Hi to 4Lo will engage your 4WD.

chief tool said:

I have an update on using this part. Item does directly plug in but I have found a problem which was not discussed. The Dorman part arrived without the black cylindrical end cap which is present on the original. Not sure what this does. The ones from the original VSV do not fit. I would assume that the orifice cannot remain uncovered.
I had one from the new valves which I purchased for the other fix. I pulled one and it will go on but not sure this will work. Tried to attach image but not sure if that worked. Finger is pointing at new part. Any thoughts on this?
image-1886241683.jpg

The "cap" is a filter. It should be there.

Filter

Thanks Dan,
I was just on the phone ordering some parts and meant to ask you just that question.
The originals do not fit on the Dorman replacements. I took the filters from the ones specified for the 17.77 fix that I ordered from you and they will go onto the Dorman. In your opinion, will this work? I don't understand why the Dorman part would come without a filter if they are needed. The VSV in the photo is the Dorman with the 17.77 part filter mounted.
As always,
Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom