This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I have been spying on the forum for some time and have finally decided to jump in. I’m hoping someone has had a similar issue and will be able to help. I have a 77’ 40 series that belonged to my grandfather. I have some great memories shared with him as a kid bouncing around in the back. I have had the 40 for about 20 years now. I am now at a place in life where I can get it back on the road and have started the process. I have installed a new carburetor, electronic ignition, new plugs and wires. Amazingly enough it started up immediately and ran as smooth as I’ve ever heard it run. I drove it about three miles and parked it. It sat for two days and when I started it up again it was missing pretty bad. I let it idle for a few minutes but it did not improve. I shut it off and have been in able to restart. I have confirmed fuel to the carburetor and have even poured a little directly in to no avail. It seems that I am not getting fire. I have checked the fuses and good there. My next step is to check the coil and verify fire to the distributor and ultimately plugs.. Just wondering should I be looking for something else while on my mission.
Thanks

Hello everyone. I have been spying on the forum for some time and have finally decided to jump in. I’m hoping someone has had a similar issue and will be able to help. I have a 77’ 40 series that belonged to my grandfather. I have some great memories shared with him as a kid bouncing around in the back. I have had the 40 for about 20 years now. I am now at a place in life where I can get it back on the road and have started the process. I have installed a new carburetor, electronic ignition, new plugs and wires. Amazingly enough it started up immediately and ran as smooth as I’ve ever heard it run. I drove it about three miles and parked it. It sat for two days and when I started it up again it was missing pretty bad. I let it idle for a few minutes but it did not improve. I shut it off and have been in able to restart. I have confirmed fuel to the carburetor and have even poured a little directly in to no avail. It seems that I am not getting fire. I have checked the fuses and good there. My next step is to check the coil and verify fire to the distributor and ultimately plugs.. Just wondering should I be looking for something else while on my mission.
Thanks
If you have not already done so, you might want to pull a spark plug and test to see if you are getting spark. These little doohickies are convenient. Amazon product ASIN B01HU2L1NUIf no spark, try tracing from the ignition... with key on, measure voltage to the coil. If 12v, move downstream to distributor.
Be patient, you will get it.

Pull all the plugs and look them over carefully - leave them out for a day so the cylinders can dry out. Maybe rig jumpers from the battery to the electronic ignition - you will need to pull the + one to shut it down if it runs - this will bypass the ignition switch/fuse and chassis ground.

Check to see that the spark nice and blue before putting them back.

How old is the gasoline? If your fuel filter has a paper element, it will not pass gas if its wet with water - stick on a new one and put some gas drier in the tank.

Pull all the plugs and look them over carefully - leave them out for a day so the cylinders can dry out. Maybe rig jumpers from the battery to the electronic ignition - you will need to pull the + one to shut it down if it runs - this will bypass the ignition switch/fuse and chassis ground.

Check to see that the spark nice and blue before putting them back.

How old is the gasoline? If your fuel filter has a paper element, it will not pass gas if its wet with water - stick on a new one and put some gas drier in the tank.
Gas is fresh. I have a new filter that I will swap out. Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out.

All the new wiz bang stuff is great while it works. I can Gerry rig a set of points usually enough to get me home; brain chip controlled something - not so much.

I did one have a points arm snap off on a dodge 318 powered dump truck, while driving back to the state yard. No Gerry rigging that one - unlike the time skid testor truck with a 361 ford that died out in the craters of the moon area.

Quick update. Was able to determine that I have fire. I did get it started. It seems to be loading up on fuel. I have always had to pull choke to get it to start and always had to leave about a quarter choke to keep it running. If I use choke now it just floods out. I can start it by cranking it about 30 seconds with no choke but when it starts it is loading up so I suppose I need to take a closer look at the carb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom