Wiring harness Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need Help on a wiring harness issue.

I have a solid 1978 wiring harness that I am rehabbing. There are a few items in the harness like the emissions computer connection.
Should I just leave it? Or can I remove it without having any issue? Any trick I need to know about? Or is it just a simple remove all wires that go to that connection?
Thanks in advance!

14DC9348-E668-4264-843C-813DD3BF30F6.jpeg

I chose to leave mine alone in a '76. It's pretty far back under there and easily zip tied out of the way. From a '78 wiring diagram someone here on mud recreated, it looks like it's tied to the speed sensor. Does your speedo cable still connect to that and then to your gauge cluster? Can't say for sure but if it does, removing that connection might mess up the speedometer function. I doubt it though since that's really just a mechanically driven gear from end to end.

1598642539443.png

You maybe should look at the wiring schematic and see where those wires go first.

But, if the plug was just hanging and the computer (or whatever they were plugged into) is missing, those wires weren't doing anything. Functionally, you can remove them. But you might want to look at the schematic and see where they go, and how they attach to whatever they are connected to make sure they can be easily removed before pulling them out of the harness.

Last edited:
hi tommy ,

why mess around with something that is not broken ?

im
NOT being snarky to be clear .........:)

just trying to help you .......

simply cap it off for piece of mind with high quality electrical tape and zip tie it up high in the dash

YES , some of those wires in the unique female micro spades connector housing are some what live and never should be grounder out ...

just my "

DSCN9587 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
All of my Land Cruisers have at least one unused wiring connector, they came from the factory that way. For instance, the FJ62 harness in my FJ60 has a connector for a front locker, which was never available in the US.

Leaving well enough alone would be a great idea, and taping them up to make sure any live wires never touch a ground on accident the safe recommendation.

Except that it looks like you've already pulled the whole harness out and unwrapped it already. In which case, if it was me, I'd remove whats unused before re wrapping...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom