Window power without key on made EZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see different relay posts being jumped in the pictures in post #1 and post #91. Are there any reasons for the differences?

Phil is jumping power without the relay. The switch I chose is not designed to carry the full load of the circuit so I decided to energize the stock relay, therefore different pins are used.

Ok. So you put the stock relay back in once you have the switched jumper inserted in the pictured positions.

Now I understand what you meant about trimming the relay housing.

Correct, you have to trim some of the plastic relay shroud to allow room for the new wires to fit. I tinned the wires to help keep them in the socket when re-installing the relay. It will snap back in place when fully seated. I haven't had any problems and I use it all the time:)

I tried this mod but have a Gentex auto dimming mirror and radar detector hooked up to the sunroof power feed, this was a bit too much draw for my liking. I ended up using a window lock switch from a 2000 celica to energize the window circuit without the key in the ignition. I thought there might be backfeed issues jumping power from one leg to the other but so far no ill effects. I did have to trim the relay housing a little to make room for the wires, but that was it.
View attachment 685109View attachment 685110View attachment 685111View attachment 685112View attachment 685113

After doing this mod I see why you also pulled that relay to the left of the one of focus. It gives a lot better view and access while working in a contorted manner.

Yeah, it's not the easiest place to work.
image.jpg

Phantom load of <1watt has been located. :clap:
If you rarely drive your 80 this could of discharged your battery over a 3 week time period. By removing the lamp for the auto down button you can eliminate the <1watt load if it was an issue. Not sure how I ever found the button in the night.:rolleyes:
View attachment 698058

Removed the "Auto" LED ... no more draw :D LOVE this mod. Didnt realize how handy it is - especially when dealing with the truck in the driveway/garage or out camping/wheeling

IMG_0326.JPG
image1.JPG

That light I think is what killed my battery after being in India for over two weeks. I need to do this. Or put in an LED one :meh:

Removed the "Auto" LED ... no more draw :D LOVE this mod. Didnt realize how handy it is - especially when dealing with the truck in the driveway/garage or out camping/wheeling

View attachment 1053502 View attachment 1053503

Make sure you DO NOT turn the white part upside down once apart. You will hate yourself if you do.

Jumpers available for your convenience by clicking the link in my signature below

So due to an accident a friends '99 4runner is in my driveway with the windows down. They cant find the key yet and its supposed to rain tonight. I looked around and cant find anything about this for a 3rd gen. Can anyone point me in a direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom