Builds Wildyoats' 200 build - OME, Method Racing wheels, 305/65 18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. Had a good couple days with the 200 so I thought I would share some of it and make a thread for future stuff.

We've had our 2013 200 series for about 8 months now and have enjoyed it thoroughly (owned our 80 series for 11 years now). The 200 has been my wife's daily for the most part. With the exception of some window tint and paint protection film installed locally by Justin's Tint in Murray and some Weathertechs front to rear, it's stock.

Until this week. :)

The vehicle retained the original rubber. My plan was to lift the rig and install larger tires once the stockers wore down. With 29k on the rig, the tires were getting a little worn and noisy so I set out on the search.

After probably way too much research, I opted for a set of the Method Racing NV wheels (18x9) and a set of 305/65 18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I found the 305/65's not to be a common size around here but I wanted a little more "stance" than the typical 285. Yes, this required a little inner front wheel well trimming here and there, but it worked out well in the end and I am very happy with the look of the car.

Before I get too far ahead, I called my friend Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters and established the lift. Just went with the old reliable and solid Old Man Emu shock and springs/Light Racing UPC's. I also added the OEM Toyota front 200 spacer. All in all, it got me about 2.5" of level lift.

I was really worried about losing the ride quality. Being my wife's daily for the time being, the concern was real. (happy wife=happy life). After picking it up from Kurt yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised how well the suspension felt. When my better half rode it in, she said she didn't feel any change. Perfect.

This morning, I had the wheels and tires installed. All went well other than 4Wheel Parts sending me the wrong size of lug nuts with my wheel order. Of course, the local BIG-O didn't have black lugs in stock, so chrome it is (might change this later). The Method wheels and Falken tires balanced out very well and feel really good driving at any speed. In fact, I took decibel readings (yep, there's and app for that) at 45 and 70 mph with my old (stock) tires and these, and the new tires obtained an average of 4 to 5 decibels lower at both speeds (same road).

The Falken Wilderness AT3W is a newly designed tires this year. After reading all the positive reviews from professionals and the general public, I started researching them some more. Much like the popular BFG KO2, they have an impressive sidewall look. They are a 10 ply tire and Falken also touts the deepest tread in the industry with these tires at 20/32. In my size, they are actually 19/32 vs. the 15/32 of a new KO2.

I was also impressed at the 55,000 warranty, and the fact that they have the gov't UTQG ratings (660, A, and B). Couldn't seem to find any of this info for the BFG's. They are "snowflake" stamped, meaning they meet certain standards for winter driving. I paid about $250 a tire versus the KO2 in the same size at $320 a tire. The only con is that they weigh about 3 lbs more per tire than the KO2 but they are also rated 400 lbs heavier payload then the KO2. As luck would have it, they are on a nationwide back-order now. Thankfully, Amazon pulled though once again for me. They arrived a few days after with my beef jerky order. How nice.

As of this post, I've have the tires for 1 full day. I drove about 100 miles today. Nothing but positive remarks about them this early in the game. They are very quiet and I think they are handsome enough for the 200. I opted to put the raised lettering out when having them mounted.

Later today, I installed some 3M vinyl wrap on parts of the car to complete the look. I actually did my wheel centers with the wrap at first (as you see it) to see if this was the look I wanted. I will paint or powdercoat later (interested in seeing how long the wrap actually lasts on a wheel). I wrapped the front grille surround (black), side chrome strips (gray), & rear emblems and tailgate trim (also gray).

So, with that....here's how she sits. Sorry for the driveway shots, I was excited to grab some pics tonight. Super happy with the outcome. Plans for the future will more than likely be a bumper (ARB or TJM) and winch. Maybe a snorkel. But that's all a bit out for now. :)

LIFT (Cruiser Outfitters):

-Old Man Emu (OME) 2702 Front Springs
-OME 91005 front struts
-OME 2722 Rear coils
-OME 61029 Rear shocks
-Light Racing/SPC Upper Control Arms
-TOYOTA front strut spacers (#43136-60020)

WHEELS (4Wheel Parts):

-Method Racing NV 18x9, 25mm offset, 6" backspace (31 lbs ea)

TIRES (Amazon):

-Falken Wildpeak AT3W - 305/65 18 (33.6" tall, 19/32 tread depth, 66 lbs ea).

DSC_7082.jpg

Updated photo as of 8/2016:

3.jpg

Last edited:
Well done! Love the wheels - that's one sharp looking rig!

Yes! Looks fan-friggin-tastic!!

Love the look. Hope you don't mind if I copy all of it for my truck! I especially love the idea of changing the bling-y chrome to something more subdued.

So sexy! :cool:

Thanks again for letting us boost it up!

Looks great! I've been waiting for a write up of that size tire...glad to hear you like the set up. Do you have pictures of the wheels before the wrap?

Thank you, folks! I appreciate it. It's amazing how much it has transformed the look. Why didn't I do this earlier? I can't help but to look back and stare at it every time I park it somewhere (as cheesy as that sounds). :hillbilly:

@vabluefish No, will be running just the stock spare WHEEL underneath and bought a 5th tire in a 275/70/18 to put on that rim. The 275/70 is roughly 33.2" versus my 33.6" on the 305's which based on my research is in the safe zone (well within the 3% allowable difference). Of course, if the new tires wear a little before my first flat (knock on wood), they may be just the same OD. I also wanted to keep the spare a bit narrower under there for the time being, a 305 might look a wee-bit low under the back (if it would even fit). It's not the perfect solution, but won't leave me stranded for the time being. One day if I decide on a rear bumper, i'll do the exact wheel/tire.

@cruiseroutfit Totally appreciate the care and work man, you guys hit it out of the park! :)

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom